• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Future Helicopters

Do the Coast Guards 429's and 412's currently operate off ships for ice navigation or do they use something else?

Oh crap....What was I thinking.

Leads me to a question. Does a civilian company that would operate said drone (I know RPAS) require a full licensed pilot? Are there different degrees? Does the Fire Scout have any autotomy? One cost save would be in the not requiring an "officer pilot" Can one licensed Pilot in command of multiple RPAS with lesser "drone pilots" Can it be done in a office in Nova Scotia an not on the Ship? Big saving there!

Damn can anyone write a good business plan up? :)
Warrant Officer pilots, like the US uses or the RAF Flight Sgt's of WW2

License wise yes, a UAS pilot license. Condiderably easier and cheaper to get

😂

The NH90 was kept to only 17 different variants for the 19 participating nations.

It would be interesting to see how the participating nations decide on a single configuration (or two…). 😉
And it didn't work well for any if them

Do the Coast Guards 429's and 412's currently operate off ships for ice navigation or do they use something else?
If they run them like the last fleet in my time, the 429's would stay on the ship as it went about it's tasks, operating as required. Arctic ships always had a heli tasked to them. The 412 would fly out to a airport/heliport in range of the task site. The Ship would bring up the equipment and the 412 would meet the ship and then sling stuff off of it. I recall a 412 ferrying us to a light station from a 1100. but I don't think he ever shut down onboard. The above was for getting stuff like radar huts and met stations to the top of mountains or heavy gear to a lightstation.

interesting I just saw this on the drive. Bell's old stretched uppowered huey. Coming soon to a RCAF base near you!

It is an interesting bird.
I never realized they had them with wheels too -

It is an interesting bird.
I never realized they had them with wheels too -
I was offered to take an ST for a spin around the block years ago down in Fort Worth…can’t remember why I didn’t, but I should have…Super Duper Huey with Apache/Black Hawk levels of power…or in single engine format (‘B model’) with a single Chinook engine…gotta hand it to the Bell dudes at the time…they were putting out some nice machines!

I'm sure we could have done the same just a couple extra million dollars handed over at Mirabel
It would have made a slew more sense than the Griffon.
In fact one probably could have gotten way with it for a SAR and MH bird too.

Oh crap....What was I thinking.

Leads me to a question. Does a civilian company that would operate said drone (I know RPAS) require a full licensed pilot? Are there different degrees? Does the Fire Scout have any autotomy? One cost save would be in the not requiring an "officer pilot" Can one licensed Pilot in command of multiple RPAS with lesser "drone pilots" Can it be done in a office in Nova Scotia an not on the Ship? Big saving there!

Damn can anyone write a good business plan up? :)
Smaller UAS (up to 25 kg) operating in what we call the Open Category (a set of rules to be followed) can operate up to 5 UAs depending on the type of airspace it is operating into as long as the UAS is designed to be operated that way. All folks need is a license to operate (DLN course with some practical training) and an authority to procure the systems (which is often the limiting factor - the UAS WSM is really rigid in what we can procure).

Smaller UAS (up to 25 kg) operating in what we call the Open Category (a set of rules to be followed) can operate up to 5 UAs depending on the type of airspace it is operating into as long as the UAS is designed to be operated that way. All folks need is a license to operate (DLN course with some practical training) and an authority to procure the systems (which is often the limiting factor - the UAS WSM is really rigid in what we can procure).

It is a Kiowa with a remote kit - I am guessing the RCAF would want a much more 'real' helicopter pilot than a DLN class for something like this.

Knowing what a fan of the Blackhawk Kevin is perhaps he would like to ride this? All that's necessary is to punch in the co-ordinates and let Google do the rest.

40A20238-21BB-4273-B0BF-2F56E583E877.jpeg

And people think Bell has a chance in FVL…

Northrop Grumman and Bell wouldn't be an improbable pairing for Canada

Fire Scout RQ-8A
Bell, Sikorsky, and a collaboration of Teledyne Ryan and Schweizer Aircraft submitted designs. The Ryan-Schweizer UAV was selected as the winner in the spring of 2000. The RQ-8A Fire Scout, as it was named, was a derivative of the Schweizer three-passenger, turbine powered 330SP helicopter,

Fire Scout MQ-8B
Northrop Grumman pitched a range of improved configurations to anyone who was interested. As it turned out, the U.S. Army was very interested, awarding a contract for seven improved RQ-8B evaluation machines in late 2003. In 2006, it was redesignated MQ-8B.

Fire Scout MQ-8C

The Northrop Grumman MQ-8C Fire Scout (known as the Fire-X during development) is an unmanned helicopter developed by Northrop Grumman for use by the United States Navy. The MQ-8C also has autonomous take-off and landing capability. It is designed to provide reconnaissance, situational awareness, aerial fire support and precision targeting support for ground, air and sea forces. The MQ-8C airframe is based on the Bell 407, while the avionics and other systems are developed from those used on the MQ-8B Fire Scout. It first flew in October 2013[3] and achieved initial operational capability on 28 June 2019.[1]

Bell Arapaho / 407

The Bell ARH-70 Arapaho[1][2] was an American four-bladed, single-engine, light military helicopter designed for the United States Army's Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter (ARH) program. With a crew of two and optimized for urban combat, the ARH-70 was slated to replace the Army's aging OH-58D Kiowa Warrior.

Excessive delays and growth in program costs forced its cancellation on 16 October 2008, when the Department of Defense failed to certify the program to Congress. The ARH-70 was touted as having been built with off-the-shelf technology, the airframe being based on the Bell 407.

Lakota LUH

The Eurocopter (now Airbus Helicopters) UH-72 Lakota is a twin-engine helicopter with a single, four-bladed main rotor. The UH-72 is a militarized version of the Eurocopter EC145, built by American Eurocopter (now Airbus Helicopters, Inc.), a division of Airbus Group, Inc.

Initially marketed as the UH-145, the helicopter was selected as winner of the United States Army's Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) program on 30 June 2006. In October 2006, American Eurocopter was awarded a production contract for 345 aircraft to replace the aging Bell UH-1H/V Iroquois and Bell OH-58A/C Kiowa helicopters in the US Army and Army National Guard fleets. The UH-72 performs logistics and support missions within the US for homeland security, disaster response missions, and medical evacuations.

The Army Chief of Staff General Ray Odierno stated that the UH-72A was developed for domestic operations and is not considered to be operationally deployable to combat zones. The UH-72 is employed by the US Army National Guard in a utility role in the US, releasing UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters to deploy overseas

Not everything needs to be combat ready.

And if the pilot stays home even an unmanned LUH has combat value.

Lakota LUH

Not everything needs to be combat ready.

And if the pilot stays home even an unmanned LUH has combat value.
It’s a training bird.
Only acquired for foreign offsets

Why, Sik has no motivation to support that orphan fleet.
Which does not say much about their corporate integrity. For a company that started the concept of a Maritime patrol helicopter, they sure failed hard at it this time around. Sikorsky must be crying in his grave.

Which does not say much about their corporate integrity. For a company that started the concept of a Maritime patrol helicopter, they sure failed hard at it this time around. Sikorsky must be crying in his grave.
If the Liberals (Martin, but Chretien’s supporters were right there pressing) hadn’t pressed for an admittedly undeveloped aircraft to be selected as a means to protecting Chretien’s legacy (upholding the ‘I take my pen and write a big line tru dis…zip, zilch, zero ‘elicopters!’ cancellation of the EH-101), then we wouldn’t be here. In the end, with the LDs (liquidated damages) paid, SIK has met all terms and conditions of the contract. Don’t hate the player; hate the game.

Back