• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CT / Enrollment with CIC [Merged]

gwp said:
The last three posts have aspects that are generalizations without foundation.
When polled 97% of adults and 87% of youth know about the Cadet Organizations.  While it is true that there is not a high level of understanding about the benefits, the program is not a secret.

I realize I'm a bit off topic here, but I would love to see the poll that this information comes from.  The only one I've found is a Jan 2006 Ipsos-Reid poll, and the numbers were far, far less than that.

http://www.cadets.ca/uploadedFiles/Websites/R%C3%A9gion_de_l_Est/support/ap/doc/Ipsos-Reid%20Baseline%20Survey%20of%20Cadets.pdf

opie_cic said:
I realize I'm a bit off topic here, but I would love to see the poll that this information comes from.  The only one I've found is a Jan 2006 Ipsos-Reid poll, and the numbers were far, far less than that.

See item 4.2 in the CROP Survey at the bottom the page at this link.
http://www.cadets.ca/content-contenu.aspx?id=74162

Hi,

So I just recently became enrolled in the CIC in February of this year. I was just wondering if CIC members receive any sort of health benefits from the CF?

I found this on the forces website
"Members of the Regular Force and members of the Reserve Force on Class C service, and Class B service for over 180 consecutive days, may receive the benefits listed in this guide when deemed necessary for medical, dental or operational reasons.

Members of the Reserve Force on Class B service for 180 consecutive days or less, on Class A service and Canadian Rangers may be entitled to receive the benefits and services listed in this guide. These are generally limited to the treatment of injuries sustained while on military duty."

But it doesn't make much sense to me cause Im unsure of what Class CIC falls under, if it falls under a class. Any help would be appreciated.

Class A = short term employment of less than 12 days

Class B = short term employment in excess of 12 continuous days.

Class C = You wont be on this.

So....pick which one you fall into.

CIC officers are class A.  The exceptions to this are when you are Officer Staff at a cadet training centre or a full-time staff member at a Regional Cadet Support Unit (RCSU). As cadet camps don't run over 180 days, you would not receive benefits for that.

For class A, you would be covered for all injuries sustained while on paid-duty.

Kyle Burrows said:
CIC officers are class A.  The exceptions to this are when you are Officer Staff at a cadet training centre or a full-time staff member at a Regional Cadet Support Unit (RCSU). As cadet camps don't run over 180 days, you would not receive benefits for that.

For class A, you would be covered for all injuries sustained while on paid-duty.
As a member of the Canadian Forces you are covered in accordance with the instructions noted above whether you serve class A or B or exceptionally on Class C.

Because Cadet Instructors, unlike members of the Primary Reserve and Regular Force, also volunteer their time there is also provision for coverage on unpaid duty.  See CATO 23-11 for details as well as the Chief of Military Personal Instruction 20-04 referenced there along with CATO 13-12.

Now that you are fully enrolled in the CF you would do well to read as much as you are able of QR and O, QR Cadets, CATO, and other relative regulations.  Spend a little bit of time reading three or four documents at a time. 

What happens after your interview and physical?  How long after that do you usually attest?  How long after you attest are you in uniform?  I have my physical late in August and our last CIC officer leaves our corps in October.  What are the odds I'd be in uniform by then.  Oh, passed my interview ok, so just the physical to get through.  Just curious as to timelines others have experienced.

Northalbertan said:
What happens after your interview and physical?  How long after that do you usually attest?  How long after you attest are you in uniform?  I have my physical late in August and our last CIC officer leaves our corps in October.  What are the odds I'd be in uniform by then.  Oh, passed my interview ok, so just the physical to get through.  Just curious as to timelines others have experienced.

If your physical exam is free of any issues that require follow-up (e.g. a letter from your family doctor, etc.) then it could be a matter of weeks.  Once you're enrolled, getting your uniform and military ID are just a matter of logistics.  If you live near a CF base you could get them done as quickly as that week or the next. 

Uniforms are no longer issued at Clothing Stores, but rather are ordered from the supplier (Logistik Unicorp) and delivered.  I don't know the current procedure for an initial issue -- you may have to go to Clothing Stores to be measured and have your order placed.

As a newly-enrolled reservist you will get a temporary ID, which is made "while-you-wait", with the whole process taking under 20 minutes.  You will probably be required to be in uniform for the picture, so that will probably be the last step.

Thanks, I was just a little worried about getting everything in order before our last officer left.
I shouldn't have any issues.  I am over 40 but the folks at the CFRC have already given me the paperwork on additonal tests they require from my family physician so I think I've gotten it all together. 

I appreciate your time in sorting this out for me.

Northalbertan said:
Thanks, I was just a little worried about getting everything in order before our last officer left.
I shouldn't have any issues.  I am over 40 but the folks at the CFRC have already given me the paperwork on additonal tests they require from my family physician so I think I've gotten it all together. 

I appreciate your time in sorting this out for me.

Glad to help.

Something tells me that if you're about to be the only officer in your unit, expediting your enrollment is likely to be a priority for your Detachment.

Already on it.  I have three applications ongoing and maybe one more coming in.  I realize that it is very nearly impossible to run a cadet unit with one officer, at least run one successfully.  I am hoping that by this time next year they will have gone thru the recruiting process or at least be going thru it at that time. In the mean time they will be civilian volunteers.  I am hoping that their CI paperwork gets looked at at Det sometime soon so they will at least be on the payroll. 

It is a pretty daunting task getting thrown in the fire like I have been but I am looking forward to the challenges.

Sorry to deviate from the topic - but, Northernalbertan - how many cadets do you have on paper?

We are a small rural corps and have 22 on paper, we usually parade 20.  I'm hoping to get that number up to around 35 this year.  I've had a number of enquiries so far this summer and 35 seems an attainable number.

Well, I went through the physical today and I guess I can hear thunder and see lightning so I will be attesting and coming aboard as a CIC officer cadet in the next couple of weeks. 

In summation, my total time from application to attesting was less than 1 yr (9 months) and I am former service.  I'm sure they sped the process up a little but my backcheck, interview and medical were right smack dab in the middle of the RMC recruiting season and the local CFRC was a very busy place.

I have nothing but positive things to say about the process.  I may have felt a little personal anxiety about timelines but that was only because I was anxious for the process to be completed.  In retrospect things actually went along at a fairly good pace.  I wanted to express my appreciation for what I am sure can be a pretty thankless job at times.

Hoping to be able to change my avatar shortly.

I have spent a lot of time over the last few weeks on several different websites pertaining to cadets(cadets.ca, CIC etc) including a live chat with a member at the CF recruiting centre attempting to find information on how one would go about becoming a member of the CIC.

I have been able to find some information, however I cannot find where the application forms are located, and how one would go about finding a cadet squadron/corps that are presently looking to add to the instructor staff.

I have attempted to email several of the websites,  via the contact us link, that I have searched but I have yet to receive a reply. I'm currently at a dead end, but hope to find some more information.

Any guidance would be much appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

Thanks,
SmokeY

The usual route for a person wanting to join the CF as a CIC officer is through a cadet corps or squadron.  The exact process differs depending on where the unit is.  In my region you would approach the commanding officer of a unit who would probably have an informal chat with you to get a sense of your suitability and, unless you caused any alarm bells to go off, would get you signed up as a civilian volunteer with the unit.  The process for doing this is very simple and pretty quick.  That would get you involved with the unit while you wait for the CF enrolment process to wind its way through.

The CO would ask the regional or area headquarters for a CIC application package and, having received it, present you with a stack of forms to be filled out at home.  Once you'd finished them the CO would check them over and forward them to the HQ, from which they would be passed on to the CF recruiting system.

Once the recruiting centre has been through your file, you'll be invited to come for a medical exam and interview.  If the results of these are satisfactory you will be offered a position in the CF as a CIC officer and sworn in.

The whole process has been completed in a matter of weeks for some applicants, but in general it will be better measured in months.  If you've served in the Forces before you can expect it to take longer as your previous service will have to be verified, something that involves a sometimes-lengthy search through old records.  Any medical conditions will also tend to lengthen the process as the recruiting centre may ask for additional information or tests from your doctor.  The wait can be discouraging, but if you enjoy the kind of work done by CIC officers you'll find that it's a terriffic second career.

If you let me know what city you're in I can see about getting you some contact information for the local cadet units.

Thank you for your response and information. After reading various bits of information about joining the CIC it seems most people have had a lengthy process, and that is something that as a result prepared for and expecting. I was just hoping I maybe able to get a jump start on some of the paperwork?

I currently reside at the eastern most part of the City of Toronto, bordered with Durham region, and would be more than willing to travel a short distance. I have found through one of the many websites, an area that lists the different corps/squadrons and was thinking about either calling or email them directly to see about possible vacancies, however I'm not sure if this would be a good idea or not.

Thanks again

The Regional Cadet HQ for the Central area is at 4900 Yonge St. That's at Yonge and Sheppard on the 6th floor. The number is 416-635-4480. They should be able to help you out. If you are out the East end then you can go through the Oshawa recruiting Centre for all your paperwork.They are at;

78 Richmand St in Oshawa,
Number is 905-803-2474.

Smokey41 said:
Thank you for your response and information. After reading various bits of information about joining the CIC it seems most people have had a lengthy process, and that is something that as a result prepared for and expecting. I was just hoping I maybe able to get a jump start on some of the paperwork?

That would not make much of a difference.  Filling out the forms is something you could probably do in an hour.  It's what happens after you've passed them in that takes time.

I currently reside at the eastern most part of the City of Toronto, bordered with Durham region, and would be more than willing to travel a short distance. I have found through one of the many websites, an area that lists the different corps/squadrons and was thinking about either calling or email them directly to see about possible vacancies, however I'm not sure if this would be a good idea or not.

Nothing wrong with doing that, although it would take some time.  Most cadet units operate one or two evenings a week and various days and times on weekends and many do not have any permanent offices of their own.  Any phone message you leave is likely to take up to a week (sometimes longer) to be received and answered.

I'd suggest calling the Detachment at the number that FDO has provided since they will know which units are looking for officers, and they might be able to give you the application package directly.  The Detachment is staffed during normal business hours and will probably be quick at responding to messages.

If you want to start the application process you'll have to come in to the Recruiting Centre. We do all the processing for CIC. 

Back