• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CT / Enrollment with CIC [Merged]

FDO said:
If you want to start the application process you'll have to come in to the Recruiting Centre. We do all the processing for CIC.

As was said earlier every Region* is different. Speaking to British Columbia you should start the application at the Cadet Corps or Squadron where they will generate the required documentation for you - it's quite a nice stack of paperwork. If you go to CFRC they will simply refer you back to the Corps or Squadron as to start the application the consent of the Sponsor (of the Cadet Corps/Squadron) and the League (Provincially) is required for the Regional Cadet HQ to approve your paperwork. Once that's done it goes to the Recruiting Centre where they conduct the medical and interview.

Best of luck!

Thank you to everybody who has replied thus far. It is appreciated. I did briefly speak with a recruiter who, although was extremely helpful, advised that I would have to go through cadets firstly, so that is what I will do.

I do have another question that maybe someone can help me with, but I was wondering if there is anyone out there that is a member of the CIC that may be willing to let me pick their brain on a few things?

Thanks again

I attested 15 Oct.  Some elements took a little longer than I thought but the deed is done.
I am glad to be able to say I am again a member of the CF.  Sounds korny but I am proud.

Smokey41 said:
I do have another question that maybe someone can help me with, but I was wondering if there is anyone out there that is a member of the CIC that may be willing to let me pick their brain on a few things?

I'm happy to help if you still have questions.

Thanks to you both for your willingness to help.

My biggest question, having been thing about this for a few days, was as a member of a squadron/corps, would it be preferred if I was to email, telephone, or just drop in on parade night? I was thinking that there may be many pros and cons to both, but the biggest concern is the lack of identity that comes with writing an email?

I do not have any military experience, other than the interest in some military history that I have educated myself with since being a young boy. However, I do have experience in camping, hiking, rock climbing, kayaking, orienteering, and have lead and won a couple of teams in first aid competitions but that is all over 16 years ago. Based on this, while i do not think that it will hinder me having that experience, would the fact that it has been such along time have an impact.

The last concern I have is that I work shift work and although I do get/have and would be willing to use time off to make myself available, would this be a hindrance??

Thanks again, it is much appreciated

Personally, for me I usually email the corps CO, and follow up using a phone call.

Parade nights can be a zoo for everyone - especially if there's something special going on  and showing up at 6 30 when the sqn is about to fall in and the CO is being bombarded by parents and the sponsoring commitee and cadets and..... 

I never had any military experience, I did face a bit of bias but I believe that is beacuse I was younger than the usual "shanghied parents". Military experience / cadet experience IS NOT a prerequisite.  Make sure you emphasise your experience and how it would benifit the CCO. You may be asked to hold off on your CIC application and volunteer for a bit / be a paid CI. This is up to your CO. Who knows, perhaps he may not be able to take you on as an officer due to lack of establishment space, but would be willing to take you on as a volunteer. With that experience under your belt it will make it easier for you to approach other corps/sqns.

That is up for your potential CO and you to discuss.

Which element are you joining?

a tip -

Make a resume that shows your life experience / jobs and past CCO experience (do it in a functional format).

Its not required, but helps to give the CO a picture of you before he's met you. I made one that showed my skills from outside cadets and as I got more skills in the organisation I updated it and replaced it will military experience.

Thanks for your reply. I did not think about the possible consequences of showing up at a parade night, when the CO is dealing with everything and everyone.

As for element, I think I would prefer army, but do not really have a preference.

NorthAlbertan

Congrats & Glad to hear this worked out.

Not all stories go so well. I know firsthand of the Circus that is DCDTs and their pathetic HR / Personnel systems, so those that have the patience to make it thru, well done!.

Well I have relearned that the army does at times move at the speed of smell. ::)

I agree that the process could use some streamlining.  There were several places in the process where things could have been sped up considerably.  Not having a qualified officer at the CFRC to do the initial interview held my app up for over a month for example.  I am sure COATS could assist with this part of the process. 

DCDTS has realized that there are  inefficiencies in the system, I've seen an email somewhere that they are looking to repair the process and speed things up in the new year. 

What does everyone think would be a reasonable time frame from app to attestation?

Northalbertan said:
Well I have relearned that the army does at times move at the speed of smell. There were several places in the process where things could have been sped up considerably.  Not having a qualified officer at the CFRC to do the initial interview held my app up for over a month for example.  DCDTS has realized that there are  inefficiencies in the system, I've seen an email somewhere that they are looking to repair the process and speed things up in the new year. 

What does everyone think would be a reasonable time frame from app to attestation?

That question applies equally to enrolling in any the RegF or any sub component of the Reserve Force.  CFRCs have a finite number of people and available expertise depending upon the intake.  Lengthy enrolments are not specific to the CIC Branch of the CF.  Reasonable is often defined by how long the candidate is prepared to wait.

Making the great plunge  :piper:

Heading down to my local armories tonight and starting the application process assuming the opening exists! Worst case scenario I'll sign on as a CI/CV. I think it's about time I give back to the great organization that has given me so much in the past now that my career allows for it.

See you around boys and gals. Crowe is back in the game.

Signing the formal papers to become a CI on Sunday, then starting the enrollment process for CIC! They had some openings!  ;D

Sundays range date was canceled, Monday it is!

:cdn:how about medicals, I want to join the CIC I am currently a CI but I wouldn`t qualify for the cf due to an accident.  I have seizures but they are very well controlled (over 10 years) with medication.  Am I wasting time and resources in trying to apply.

That is a decision best left to the RCMLO and the Recruiting Center Medical Staff.

It is now nearly a year further on and it has been a good year.  We have 5 other applications nearly through the process.  One applicant has been through the medical and interview with the remaining right behind.  We have also been fortunate in being able to CT a recently retired RF SGt from the Supp Res into COATS.  The primary hold up in getting through the process is indeed the RCSU.  Once the app is at the recruiting center the process is complete in about three months.  It is still a good idea to contact your file manager and stay on top of your application though.

I would like to thank the owner of this site and his directing staff.  This site is great resource for us.  You can count on my subscription for years to come.

Northalbertan

Hi all,

Looking for some guidence;
Want to join the Air Reserve as a CIC Officer.

Where do I start?

Thanks!
A

Back