• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Country Restrictions

George Wallace said:
Actually, I believe anyone visiting Cuba, no matter their Clearance, no matter their Reserve or Regular status, should notify their C of C and also attend a "Briefing" prior to going and a "Debriefing" upon return. 

garb811 may be able to clarify the finer details.  If not, ask your C of C of what procedures you should take.

You may like to know such things as whether or not it is wise to take a laptop, digital camera, etc.  If taking photos, where and where not to point the camera.  Areas to NOT visit. Things like that.

Digital cameras and laptops among tourists are pretty common in Cuba now so you should be good to go. Count on the MINIT types at the airport probably taking a look at them, although it's more curiosity and envy than anything else. They will also ensure that if you came in with one, you leave with it, no leaving that type of gift for the maid/bartender.

The advice on what to take pictures of is still sound. Basically anything can be considered military including  the airport terminal, bridges etc. Ask first if in any doubt, in fact I'd ask anyway, Cuban jails suck and I speak from experience.

As for the food sucking, aside from prisons, the food there can be pretty good, you just have to know where to eat. 8)

Hmmm interesting.  Do you mind me asking if he was actually refused clearance to go to China or he just never got prior approval ahead of time?

Not so sure... Might be him just trying to get out of it...  >:D But I do believe he was told not to go THERE...

I know another military who was posted to Moscow for a few years ; he spent 3 weeks visiting China before coming back to Canada... Raised a few eyebrows...  ::)

George Wallace said:
Actually, I believe anyone visiting Cuba, no matter their Clearance, no matter their Reserve or Regular status, should notify their C of C and also attend a "Briefing" prior to going and a "Debriefing" upon return.  garb811 may be able to clarify the finer details.  If not, ask your C of C of what procedures you should take.  You may like to know such things as whether or not it is wise to take a laptop, digital camera, etc.  If taking photos, where and where not to point the camera.  Areas to NOT visit. Things like that.

If you go as part of a tour, like GAP, it makes things a lot easier...

brave little soldier said:
I know another military who was posted to Moscow for a few years ; he spent 3 weeks visiting China before coming back to Canada... Raised a few eyebrows...  ::)
Really?  I know quite a few MPs who visited China while posted to MSGU, including myself.  No eyebrows raised since we all followed the proper protocols and had our briefings and debriefings as required.

Really?  I know quite a few MPs who visited China while posted to MSGU, including myself.  No eyebrows raised since we all followed the proper protocols and had our briefings and debriefings as required.

Of course you did : I was teasing him... >:D

I attended a NCIU briefing last night and according to them you must fill out a Notice of Intent to Travel form 30 days prior to your trip if you plan on going anywhere except the US. I only have an ERC level and I was required to attend the briefing. 

RMC_Cadet said:
I attended a NCIU briefing last night and according to them you must fill out a Notice of Intent to Travel form 30 days prior to your trip if you plan on going anywhere except the US. I only have an ERC level and I was required to attend the briefing. 
Not sure who the briefer was, but whoever it was, they were either talking out their ass or you misheard.  By that standard they'd never be able to do anything as they'd be swamped with 10,000 requests per year, mostly for the well known espionage and personal safety hotspots such as England, France, Germany...

garb811 said:
...mostly for the well known espionage and personal safety hotspots such as England, France, Germany...

- Still got your SMLM wallet card?

:D

TCBF said:
- Still got your SMLM wallet card?

:D
If things keep going the way they are, it might serve as a useful template for a RMLM wallet card.  ;)

taken from:

CFFSE SO 8-12
TRAVEL TO COUNTRIES OF CONCERN

"For travel to all foreign countries, individuals are encouraged to consult the Department of Foreign Affairs website at http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/index.asp."

not able to access from work anymore but used to have an up to date list of countries of concern.

The notice of intent is only for travel to countries of concern  - mind you these days that seems to be just about everywhere outside Canada and the US.

Link is broken I think but found this at http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/ctry/reportpage-en.asp

Travel Reports & Warnings
Travel Reports offer information on safety and security, local laws and customs, entry requirements, health conditions and other important travel issues. Countries with an asterisk (*) currently contain a Travel Warning, indicating that Canadians should either avoid non-essential travel to the country or to specific region(s) of the country, or avoid all travel to the country or to specific region(s) of the country.

Travelling to a country with a Travel Warning may impact your health insurance and/or trip cancellation insurance. The decision to travel is the sole responsibility of the individual.

A

Afghanistan* | Albania* | Algeria* | Andorra | Angola* | Anguilla | Antarctica | Antigua and Barbuda | Argentina | Armenia* | Aruba | Australia | Austria | Azerbaijan* | Azores |

B

Bahamas | Bahrain | Bangladesh* | Barbados | Belarus | Belgium | Belize* | Benin | Bermuda | Bhutan | Bolivia | Bonaire | Bosnia and Herzegovina | Botswana | Brazil | Brunei Darussalam | Bulgaria | Burkina Faso | Burma (Myanmar)* | Burundi* |

C

Cambodia* | Cameroon* | Canary Islands | Cape Verde | Cayman Islands | Central African Republic* | Chad* | Chechnya* | Chile | China | China - Hong Kong | China - Macao | Colombia* | Comoros* | Congo (Brazzaville)* | Congo (Kinshasa)* | Cook Islands | Costa Rica | Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast) | Croatia | Cuba | Curaçao | Cyprus | Czech Republic |

D

Democratic Republic of Congo* | Denmark | Djibouti* | Dominica | Dominican Republic |

E

East Timor* | Ecuador* | Egypt | El Salvador | England | Equatorial Guinea | Eritrea* | Estonia | Ethiopia* |

F

Federated States of Micronesia | Fiji | Finland | Florida | France | French Guiana | French Polynesia |

G

Gabon | Gambia, The | Georgia* | Germany | Ghana | Gibraltar | Great Britain | Greece | Greenland | Grenada | Guadeloupe | Guam | Guatemala* | Guinea* | Guinea-Bissau* | Guyana |

H

Haiti* | Hawaii | Honduras | Hong Kong | Hungary |

I

Iceland | India* | Indonesia* | Iran* | Iraq* | Ireland | Israel, the West Bank and Gaza* | Italy | Ivory Coast |

J

Jamaica | Japan | Jordan |

K

Kazakhstan | Kenya* | Kiribati | Korea, North (DPRK) | Korea, South | Kosovo | Kuwait | Kyrgyz Republic |

L

Laos | Latvia | Lebanon* | Lesotho | Liberia* | Libya* | Liechtenstein | Lithuania | Luxembourg |

M

Macao | Macedonia¹ | Madagascar | Malawi | Malaysia* | Maldives | Mali* | Malta | Marshall Islands | Martinique | Mauritania | Mauritius | Mexico | Micronesia (FSM) | Moldova* | Monaco | Mongolia | Montenegro | Montserrat | Morocco | Mozambique | Myanmar (Burma)* |

N

Namibia | Nauru | Nepal | Netherlands | New Caledonia | New Zealand | Nicaragua | Niger* | Nigeria* | Niue | Northern Marianas | Norway |

O

Oman |

P

Pakistan* | Palau | Panama* | Papua New Guinea | Paraguay | Peru* | Philippines* | Poland | Portugal | Puerto Rico |

Q

Qatar |

R

Republic of Congo* | Romania | Russia* | Rwanda* |

S

Saint Kitts and Nevis | Saint Lucia | Saint Martin | Saint Vincent & the Grenadines | Saint-Pierre et Miquelon | Samoa | San Marino | São Tomé and Principe | Saudi Arabia | Senegal | Serbia | Seychelles | Sierra Leone* | Singapore | Sint Maarten | Slovakia | Slovenia | Solomon Islands | Somalia* | South Africa | Spain | Sri Lanka* | Sudan* | Suriname | Swaziland | Sweden | Switzerland | Syria |

T

Taiwan | Tajikistan | Tanzania | Thailand* | Timor-Leste (East Timor)* | Togo | Tokelau | Tonga | Trinidad and Tobago | Tunisia | Turkey* | Turkmenistan | Turks and Caicos Islands | Tuvalu |

U

Uganda* | Ukraine | United Arab Emirates | United Kingdom | United States | Uruguay | Uzbekistan* |

V

Vanuatu | Venezuela* | Vietnam | Virgin Islands (U.K.) | Virgin Islands (U.S.) |

Y

Yemen* |

Z

Zambia* | Zimbabwe* |

While that is indeed a list of countries where there is a personal safety concern to John Public, it does not accurately reflect the current listing of countries for CF members. 

Thanks for the link update Sapper and Garb for pointing out that this is a general link for John Public.

I would check our list and this list and if the country is indicated on either list complete a notice of intent to be on the safe side.

I just spoke to Toronto and was advised that although Cuba is on the list of restricted countries, in general they no longer require you to have a security briefing or debrief. Of course if, while you are there, something occurs that you feel should be passed on then you should immediately contact your MP Section and they will arrange for you to get a debrief.

There is an exception - if you are visiting a relative or friend who is Cuban in Cuba or are planning to travel on your own away from a resort, then you should request a briefing.

Hope that helps... three more sleeps to go then I am off to Cayos Coco! Woo Hoo!  ;D

Neon

For the record it's Cayo Coco.

Doubt there is anything of interest for the MPs there BTW unless they've taken an adverse interest in malnourished cows (you'll see  8)). It's a resort island off the north coast connected by a causeway to the main island. no locals live there and all the hotel/resort/airport/tourist staff are bussed in daily from Moron a good 2-3 hrs drive away. "No Jinteras in the Deesco Senor"

Several years ago the El Senador resort was partially owned by several retired Canadian NHL types and tehy converted one of the tennis courts into a ball hockey space and had games in the evening.

Danjanou said:
Several years ago the El Senador resort was partially owned by several retired Canadian NHL types and tehy converted one of the tennis courts into a ball hockey space and had games in the evening.

Got to luv us - play hockey anywhere!!

tango22a said:
Danjanou:

Your avatar ROCKS!!

Cheers,

tango22a

It's a self portrait. I really am a small rodent with an RPG fetish. 8)

NFLD Sapper said:
Link is broken I think but found this at http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/ctry/reportpage-en.asp

Travel Reports & Warnings 

Bear in mind that a lot of the information posted is generalized and designed for your average tourist.  Those with longer term residence or work opportunities should also read up on cultural information that isnt included in these reports.

It is also good to read up on travel warnings posted by US, UK, and Australian equivalent departments, some have extra information not included in the Canadian version...

Good advice Greymatters - never thought of checking the other country sites before. Thanks.

Back