• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Country Restrictions

RubberTree

Reaction score
Can anyone help me find (or provide) the list of countries CF members are not allowed to travel to, or are currently restricted for travel? Trying to plan my leave...
  Cheers...:cdn:

You're going to need to talk to the CF National Counter-Intelligence Unit about any travel plans that you may have.
I did the same thing when I went to Cuba.

Where are you thinking of going?

The most up to date information should be available through your Orderly Room.

Thanks. I'm hoping to go to Columbia but with the recent hostage release and a bit of a notorious past...I'll give the OR a shot.
Cheers

Avoid all countries whose names end in "...stan"  or non North American and European countries whose names end in vowels.

Haggis said:
Avoid all countries whose names end in "...stan"  or non North American and European countries whose names end in vowels.

so there goes my trip to Australia  ;)

rmc_wannabe said:
so there goes my trip to Australia  ;)

Australia is sort of European.. except for the snakes (consider that an exception to my "rule").

recceguy said:
The most up to date information should be available through your Orderly Room.
Not quite accurate, perhaps for Militia units but not the CF as a generalization.

Rather seek out your USO/USS or contact your MP Detachment.

FinClk said:
Not quite accurate, perhaps for Militia units but not the CF as a generalization.

Rather seek out your USO/USS or contact your MP Detachment.

Im glad someone said it - the OR is good for information, but not the latest up-to-date information...

As a guideline you should use chapter 38 anx A and B at the bottom of the page (DIN only)

http://vcds.mil.ca/cfpm/pubs/pol-pubs/ndsp/intro_e.asp

Good Luck

I can’t add to the “what is on the list these days” myself being a bit out of the loop.

However I have been to Colombia 4-5 times (Cartagena, Barranquilla,  Santa Marta and San Andres the resort island off the coast of Nicarauga) San Andres is ok just another tourist trap, but if you’re on the mainland watch your six. Colombia is a nice place and overall the people are friendly but they have been involved in an ongoing nasty civil war for quite some time now, and FARC do not play nice. Even parts of major cities/tourist destination like Cartagena are full of no go zones.

I know this is a bit of a necro-post, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm/deny whether or not Poland is tickey-boo for travel.  I may have an opportunity coming up shortly.  I know Poland is a part of NATO and a member of the EU, but it also has a bit of a "questionable" past.  I would really appreicate knowing if Poland is an Annex A or B country - I just don't have DIN access right now.

Cheers!

CoG

Just double checking but country restrictions are applicable to reservists?  For example if I wanted to go to a friends wedding in Cuba during my summer vacation I would need to obtain permission from my CoC first despite not being actively employed by the CF at the time?

If you hold a security clearance, yes.

Thanks for the reply, i'm assuming this only applies for people with clearance secret and above? (ie not enhanced)

Actually, I believe anyone visiting Cuba, no matter their Clearance, no matter their Reserve or Regular status, should notify their C of C and also attend a "Briefing" prior to going and a "Debriefing" upon return. 

garb811 may be able to clarify the finer details.  If not, ask your C of C of what procedures you should take.

You may like to know such things as whether or not it is wise to take a laptop, digital camera, etc.  If taking photos, where and where not to point the camera.  Areas to NOT visit. Things like that.

If you hold any level of clearance, NCIU will conduct an assessment on the requirement for you to actually be briefed or debriefed but it does not waive your obligation to make your intention to visit known.

My husband and I met in Thailand while he was on leave in August ; we went to Phuket, Bangkok and then Hong Kong. I wanted to visit China, but he was told he couldn't go. I guess China will wait until he retires...

Went to Cuba last winter... No restrictions... but lousy food...

brave little soldier said:
My husband and I met in Thailand while he was on leave in August ; we went to Phuket, Bangkok and then Hong Kong. I wanted to visit China, but he was told he couldn't go. I guess China will wait until he retires...

Went to Cuba last winter... No restrictions... but lousy food...

Hmmm interesting.  Do you mind me asking if he was actually refused clearance to go to China or he just never got prior approval ahead of time?

Back