• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian soldiers fatally shoot taxi driver

ErorZ

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
"Canadian soldiers fatally shoot taxi driver
Last Updated Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:49:46 EST
CBC News

Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan fatally shot a taxi driver who came within less than a metre of their patrol, military officials said on Wednesday.

* INDEPTH: Afghanistan

Lt.-Col. Derek Basinger, chief of staff for Task Force Afghanistan.

The shooting happened late Tuesday local time, about four kilometres from the Canadian base in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar, said Capt. Julie Roberge.

Afghan police have launched an investigation.

The man, identified as Nasrat Ghali and believed to be in his mid-40s, was driving a three-wheeled motorized taxi known locally as a rickshaw. Canadian troops fired warning shots at him after he drove through an Afghan police checkpoint, coming within less than one metre from the Canadian vehicle, said Lt.-Col. Derek Basinger, chief of staff for Task Force Afghanistan..

"Our rules do not allow any Afghans to come within a certain distance," Basinger said.

The taxi driver was treated by the Canadians at the scene, but later died in hospital.

There were no passengers in the vehicle at the time of the shooting.

Radio broadcasts warn locals not to drive too close to military patrols because of the threat of suicide attacks.

Basinger said Canadian troops have fired at roughly 10 Afghan vehicles in the past month.

Two Canadian soldiers were killed when their armoured vehicle crashed into a taxi on the outskirts of Kandahar on March 2. Cpl. Paul Davis and Master Cpl. Timothy Wilson died in the incident, which injured five other soldiers.

One day later, five more Canadians were injured when a suicide bomber drove a small truck into their convoy near Kandahar.

More than 2,200 Canadian soldiers are stationed in and around Kandahar as part of a multinational brigade under the command of Canadian Brig.-Gen David Fraser. "

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/03/15/afghanistan_taxi060315.html

Related Articles:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060315.w2afghanshot0315/BNStory/International/home

I just want to add I was at the PAffO news release, and the News media did a really good job documenting and releasing these articles... I was starting to have my doubts about media outlets and the different spins they put on things, but this brings back hope in them for me.

ErorZ said:
I just want to add I was at the PAffO news release, and the News media did a really good job documenting and releasing these articles... I was starting to have my doubts about media outlets and the different spins they put on things, but this brings back hope in them for me.

I was just watching the news release from CTV NN, and I thought they did a pretty good job in hammering the message that they did try warning shots, and that it was in response to past suicide attacks. Another tragic accident, but let's see what happens.

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!! Although there will be many people outraged that we shot and killed an innocent civilian! Mind you, the people who will be upset will have never left there province let alone there country.

Sounds like an excellent example of ROE.

And yes, RIP Taxi Driver. :salute:

I just hope it isn't viewed as another reason we "shouldn't be there" by the Canadian populace who already doesn't understand what's going on... It is an unfortunate incident but that's the way things are over there.... If they fired warning shots and he STILL came at them, what else were they suppose to do?!?! If I thought it was MY LAV or vehicle he was approaching, I would have done the exact same thing I bet. So would any of us. We want to come home, not in a box, and we don't want to see our buddies come home in one either... Eat or be eaten.

RIP for the taxi driver but my god, why wouldn't he stop?!?!

???

Could it have just been a suicide?
There are warnings all over the place saying to stay from military vehicles.  Then there was the police checkpoint they ran, then he would not stop when he was being warned.
In my opinion it looks like the guy wanted to die.  Ignorance cannot be pleaded considering the situation.

S_Baker said:
I was looking at the globe and mail and one of the comments about the shooting had this gem in it....

So, that Somali teenager torture murder thing was actually a zionist crusader conspiracy committed by the US?   :-X

Man, the CDN left has nothing on the American left!

I agree, there are idiots on both sides of the border!!!!!

SB.... an Ignoramus with a pen is a dangerous thing.......

Has anyone gone to see what "pike" has to say on this one on her website?
x

geo said:
...Has anyone gone to see what "pike" has to say on this one on her website?
x

please, I'm eating.

re the suicide by cop, that's theroy i never though of and a good possibility.

Koenigsegg said:
Could it have just been a suicide?
There are warnings all over the place saying to stay from military vehicles.  Then there was the police checkpoint they ran, then he would not stop when he was being warned.
In my opinion it looks like the guy wanted to die.  Ignorance cannot be pleaded considering the situation.

Here is my 2 cents or conspiracy theory if you prefer.

Could have been the enemy testing our troops.  Seems kind of odd that he ran a check point, ignored all warnings and then drove close to the Cdn vehicle (within 1 m as one news report stated).  You never know but their tactics will evolve as ours do.  Best thing for the troops to do is follow their ROE's.

no conspiracy.  they baddies do test our abilites.  whether this is along those lines or not may prove impossible to detemine.

They know what our reaction would be... OMG Canadians killed a civilian! this is bad, we better start an inquiry. 

They know what they're doing.

Welcome to the reality of today's warfare. Its all about ROEs, daily INTSUMs, body language and quick thinking or judgement calls by professional soldiers.

For sake of arguement if he was VBIEDing, there would be Cdn KIAs, and everyone would be asking why did they NOT shoot.

As much as it is always unfortunate when civilian deaths occur, all he had to do was stop, and at the end of the day, has only himself to blame for his own death.

My opinion.

Regards,

Wes

I'll take a wait and see on this one.

The real test will be if the soldier that did the deed is commended or disciplined.

I think he should get a pat on the back for doing his job well, but unfortunately, I don't run the CF!

Even at 2-3 feet from vehicle...it's too close. Soldier did good and he walked away. You cannot hesitate, but you can live with the consequences. For those who have never been in a similar situation...think back to the last time you had a near car collision or an accident and how afterwards you were able to review it and take it apart piece by piece. Everything happened in seconds, but you retain ALL the images in your mind...this is no different.

We did ROE training today; We were given about 10 MINUTES per scenario to DISCUSS the appropriate responses. I reminded the people in my group that the soldiers in the scenarios may have had 1/10th of a SECOND to REACT. Shook a few cobwebs from a couple of lads.
Hopefully the verdict will continue to give everyone else the confidence to do their job, and not have to worry about seeing the JAG after every patrol. After our training, we were reminded that no Canadian soldier has ever been charged for following their ROE's, and given the details released, I don't think this incident will end any different.

Kudos to the soldier - chin up, head high, and carry on.
As for the taxi driver, RIP, but you WERE warned. To his family, my condolances - hard life in a hard country.

Life is hard.................................................it's even harder when your stupid.

not stupid.....
the lad came from the " In sha-allah " Kabul / Kandahar school of driving.

Teltech said:
We did ROE training today; We were given about 10 MINUTES per scenario to DISCUSS the appropriate responses. I reminded the people in my group that the soldiers in the scenarios may have had 1/10th of a SECOND to REACT. Shook a few cobwebs from a couple of lads.
Hopefully the verdict will continue to give everyone else the confidence to do their job, and not have to worry about seeing the JAG after every patrol. After our training, we were reminded that no Canadian soldier has ever been charged for following their ROE's, and given the details released, I don't think this incident will end any different.

Kudos to the soldier - chin up, head high, and carry on.
seconded

Teltech said:
As for the taxi driver, RIP, but you WERE warned. To his family, my condolances - hard life in a hard country.
The person killed was the passenger, but yea... stupid.

The Gues-|- said:
The person killed was the passenger, but yea... stupid.
Oh.. okay, I went by the article at the beginning of the thread. Either way...

Back