• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

Turns out hydropower is not so good for our environment due to emissions... the more you know.

In Québec, the flooded trees and soil from the boreal forest decay under water in the reservoirs for decades and continually release substantial methane and CO2 for 50 years or more. As a greenhouse gas, methane is dozens of times more detrimental to the climate than CO2.

Discretionary consumption - like a day trip somewhere - would be higher. Very few people are going to turn a thermostat down below whatever they find comfortable just to save $20 a year.
True profit from these de-carbonization schemes is realized primarily by the companies and investors that are able to pass on the entire costs to the end-consumer in an essentially unconstrained manner, fully supported by politicians and associates who agreeably set
conditions for the companies’ successes.

Think US military-industrial profiteering in Iraq in 2003+, but on a global scale, and the enemy is a tenth or two of degrees every year.

Turns out hydropower is not so good for our environment due to emissions... the more you know.

In Québec, the flooded trees and soil from the boreal forest decay under water in the reservoirs for decades and continually release substantial methane and CO2 for 50 years or more. As a greenhouse gas, methane is dozens of times more detrimental to the climate than CO2.

So they took trees, which in “alive mode” pull CO2 from the atmosphere to create oxygen, and switched them to “dead mode” to create CH4 and CO2 to help power all the N.E. US electric vehicles the next few decades.

Oopsies.

The irony in all this is that quite possibly the least overtly impactful energy to the environment will prove to be
1636132716447.gif

So they took trees, which in “alive mode” pull CO2 from the atmosphere to create oxygen, and switched them to “dead mode” to create CH4 and CO2 to help power all the N.E. US electric vehicles the next few decades.

Oopsies.

The irony in all this is that quite possibly the least overtly impactful energy to the environment will prove to be
View attachment 67027
Worked for France.

When younger and dumber the wife and I would go for a drive around town just to see the sights or have the wind in our hair.

Gas was 90 cents then.

We wouldn't be doing it at 1.50 per litre, I'll tell you that right now.
Nice but you miss the point. People still need to drive to work. They still need to drive to get groceries and other stuff. Most of my driving is driving to and from work, being a dad taxi for kid’s stuff and occasionally trips to the cottage. A tax won’t stop that. What I will cut is ethically sourced foods, environmentally friendly places I can’t get to in favour of more conviennent and cheaper options. Driving is a necessity in Canada. A tax won’t stop that. The hippies that live downtown will be fine except most of those businesses they bike to will likely be shutting down.

What gets me to stop my driving and even maybe scaling down to one car is working from home. Not some some tax. The government can get way more innovative in its approach rather than just “tax”.

Nice but you miss the point. People still need to drive to work. They still need to drive to get groceries and other stuff. Most of my driving is driving to and from work, being a dad taxi for kid’s stuff and occasionally trips to the cottage. A tax won’t stop that. What I will cut is ethically sourced foods, environmentally friendly places I can’t get to in favour of more conviennent and cheaper options. Driving is a necessity in Canada. A tax won’t stop that. The hippies that live downtown will be fine except most of those businesses they bike to will likely be shutting down.

What gets me to stop my driving and even maybe scaling down to one car is working from home. Not some some tax. The government can get way more innovative in its approach rather than just “tax”.
With higher prices people cut unnecessary driving.

Will you drive to get groceries? Yes.

Will you take a road trip? Maybe not.

As for businesses shutting down, employment is back to where it was pre pandemic, the economy is growing, and the carbon that still exists.

BC was a have province before the carbon tax and is still a have province after the carbon tax. This fallacy that a carbon tax leads to mass business failures is just that. A fallacy.

To the best of my knowledge we only have one member here who’s on a CPC EDA, and he’s one of the smartest cats this forum has. Probably why he won’t sully himself in the muck of the politics threads.
Could have fooled me.

People who feel like they've been pressured out of the fun things in life tend to get stressed about it. Then they push back. Not that anything has happened recently that should teach even the most HUTA politician/bureaucrat the lesson.

People who feel like they've been pressured out of the fun things in life tend to get stressed about it. Then they push back. Not that anything has happened recently that should teach even the most HUTA politician/bureaucrat the lesson.
Fun stuff in life versus reducing emissions.

Tough choice. Thank goodness I'm a homebody

With higher prices people cut unnecessary driving.

Will you drive to get groceries? Yes.

As for businesses shutting down, employment is back to where it was pre pandemic, the economy is growing, and the carbon that still exists.

BC was a have province before the carbon tax and is still a have province after the carbon tax. This fallacy that a carbon tax leads to mass business failures is just that. A fallacy.
Except that, in many cases, the job quality has gone sharply down and people are working longer hours to cover the differences so the quality of family life has also gone down. You are absolutely correct: I am not taking the road trip that I was planning therefore 7 hotels, 14 restaurants, a dozen or so attractions will do without my business. If, and I say if because I can only speak for myself in this instance, others have made or are making the same decisions that will put one or two other Canadian businesses out of the marketplace. People are cutting out the fat and that is killing small people oriented businesses.

Except that, in many cases, the job quality has gone sharply down and people are working longer hours to cover the differences so the quality of family life has also gone down. You are absolutely correct: I am not taking the road trip that I was planning therefore 7 hotels, 14 restaurants, a dozen or so attractions will do without my business. If, and I say if because I can only speak for myself in this instance, others have made or are making the same decisions that will put one or two other Canadian businesses out of the marketplace. People are cutting out the fat and that is killing small people oriented businesses.

FYI....

Impact of COVID-19 on small businesses in Canada, third quarter of 2021​

Small and medium sized businesses are significant contributors to the Canadian economy. For context, small businesses made up 98.0% of all employer businesses in Canada in 2020,Note employing 9.7 million individuals in Canada - approximately 64% of the total labour force. By comparison, medium-sized businesses employed 3.2 million individuals (21.2% of the labour force) and large businesses employed 2.3 million individuals (14.8% of the labour force).Note As such, small businesses are an important role in employing Canadians and are a significant driver towards economic recovery.

From the beginning of July to early August 2021, Statistics Canada conducted the Canadian Survey on Business Conditions to better understand the ongoing effects of the pandemic on businesses and business expectations moving forward. Based on the results of the survey, while the majority of businesses in Canada expected to be impacted, smaller businesses expected more significant impacts, such as a decrease in profitability and sales. Small businesses were less likely to be able to take on more debt, have the liquid assets to operate, have their workforce primarily telework after the pandemic, outsource tasks, and implement environmental practices. This article provides insights on the expectations of small business as well as the specific realities faced by these businesses during these unprecedented times.

FYI....

Impact of COVID-19 on small businesses in Canada, third quarter of 2021​

Small and medium sized businesses are significant contributors to the Canadian economy. For context, small businesses made up 98.0% of all employer businesses in Canada in 2020,Note employing 9.7 million individuals in Canada - approximately 64% of the total labour force. By comparison, medium-sized businesses employed 3.2 million individuals (21.2% of the labour force) and large businesses employed 2.3 million individuals (14.8% of the labour force).Note As such, small businesses are an important role in employing Canadians and are a significant driver towards economic recovery.

From the beginning of July to early August 2021, Statistics Canada conducted the Canadian Survey on Business Conditions to better understand the ongoing effects of the pandemic on businesses and business expectations moving forward. Based on the results of the survey, while the majority of businesses in Canada expected to be impacted, smaller businesses expected more significant impacts, such as a decrease in profitability and sales. Small businesses were less likely to be able to take on more debt, have the liquid assets to operate, have their workforce primarily telework after the pandemic, outsource tasks, and implement environmental practices. This article provides insights on the expectations of small business as well as the specific realities faced by these businesses during these unprecedented times.

Were you not the one saying that cutting the wage subsidy was a good idea?

Thank you for helping reduce CO2 emissions and helping to prove my point.

Oopsies.

View attachment 67027
I agree, but there is the waste thing . . .

Back