• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

The PM needs to travel for work!

More at 11!

Happy Ha Ha GIF by reactionseditor
Except he dragged about an extra 150-200 hangers on and syncophants with him. The largest delegation by far, at the conference. So you can add that into the total carbon footprint he laid down. All for vanity and payback for favours rendered. Granted there was likely a couple to take care of his needs, so they weren't all tourists.

Policy can't be developed by correspondence, even in the middle of a pandemic; we haven't the technology. It involves a lot of documents and time spent pondering things, so it has to be done face-to-face. Also, there's luncheons and cocktail parties and banquets. Think of it as a mirror of the Res F: showing up to work together and going to the mess afterwards. Finally, without well-off people who need to buy carbon credits, what are the poor people who make sacrifices to provide the offsets going to do for money?

So without any concrete proof that the efforts we are making will matter one iota we are setting about to destroy our economy and return to 19th century living standards except that we won't have coal to use to warm our houses. We are taking steps to keep poorer nations poorer and we are ensuring that those in our own country who are less well off can't afford their heating and lighting costs. We are farming out our industry to one or two central polluters (China, India and others in the east) so that we can earn bragging rights about how much we have saved the environment except that we don't even know if it needs saving. We are doing our utmost to shut down the region that has footed the bill for much of our economic wellbeing (oil provinces) and blocked them from making a livelihood selling a product which will be on the market for the next several decades regardless of what Kool-Aid you want to drink at the same time we are raising the costs of just about everything in all of the other regions in the name of a tax on a natural and generally beneficial gas that has been unjustly branded a pollutant. The tax will do nothing except drive up prices and drive out jobs. Want proof? Name the best selling automobiles in N.A. Further proof? Ontario pays ridiculously high sin taxes. Every time government wants something they up the tax on beer and cigarettes. I haven't met a single person who has reduced his consumption of either product. those around here simply drive to the nearest reservation to save a few cents. Now if the price of gas doesn't drive people into a Mazda 3 or Honda CVCC (do they still make them) what makes you think the co2 tax is going to have any effect on our habits? As for driving out jobs, it is already happening. That is the prime reason why Trudeau was pushing for a globally equalized carbon tax; to reduce those fleeing our borders.

Rant off. We owe it to ourselves and our children to pollute less and that is where we should be spending our money. Clean up the water for drinking, fishing and making a decent cup of coffee. Go for mini-nukes rather than windmills. encourage business to install filters and change them regularly and let the environment take care of itself. It has a marvelous ability to adapt. Add greenhouse gas and you will raise temperature. Raise temperature and you will increase the amount of water in the atmosphere. Increase atmospheric water and you will increase cloud cover. Guess what, increased cloud cover shields the sun and reduces temperature.

Reactions: QV
So without any concrete proof that the efforts we are making will matter one iota we are setting about to destroy our economy and return to 19th century living standards except that we won't have coal to use to warm our houses. We are taking steps to keep poorer nations poorer and we are ensuring that those in our own country who are less well off can't afford their heating and lighting costs. We are farming out our industry to one or two central polluters (China, India and others in the east) so that we can earn bragging rights about how much we have saved the environment except that we don't even know if it needs saving. We are doing our utmost to shut down the region that has footed the bill for much of our economic wellbeing (oil provinces) and blocked them from making a livelihood selling a product which will be on the market for the next several decades regardless of what Kool-Aid you want to drink at the same time we are raising the costs of just about everything in all of the other regions in the name of a tax on a natural and generally beneficial gas that has been unjustly branded a pollutant. The tax will do nothing except drive up prices and drive out jobs. Want proof? Name the best selling automobiles in N.A. Further proof? Ontario pays ridiculously high sin taxes. Every time government wants something they up the tax on beer and cigarettes. I haven't met a single person who has reduced his consumption of either product. those around here simply drive to the nearest reservation to save a few cents. Now if the price of gas doesn't drive people into a Mazda 3 or Honda CVCC (do they still make them) what makes you think the co2 tax is going to have any effect on our habits? As for driving out jobs, it is already happening. That is the prime reason why Trudeau was pushing for a globally equalized carbon tax; to reduce those fleeing our borders.

Rant off. We owe it to ourselves and our children to pollute less and that is where we should be spending our money. Clean up the water for drinking, fishing and making a decent cup of coffee. Go for mini-nukes rather than windmills. encourage business to install filters and change them regularly and let the environment take care of itself. It has a marvelous ability to adapt. Add greenhouse gas and you will raise temperature. Raise temperature and you will increase the amount of water in the atmosphere. Increase atmospheric water and you will increase cloud cover. Guess what, increased cloud cover shields the sun and reduces temperature.
Good rant lol.

I agree with a lot of what you say. Consumption taxes can work to reduce usage but it needs to be paired with other programs to reduce use. cigarettes (as you mentioned above) though has seen significant decline over time. A tax was only part of an overall effort to reduce its use. And that tax goes to health care initiatives if I recall.

The issue is that gas prices don’t reduce usage. People still need to drive, goods still need delivering. People may be more inclined to by fuel efficient vehicles and even get things like electric cars and hybrids as they become more mainstream. Don’t kid yourself if you think people aren’t shifting that way. But it is taking a while to get there because of economic factors.

Until you can make those things affordable, convenient and adaptable, people won’t buy in. My biggest turn off about an electric car is the time it takes to charge and then availability of rapid charging station as well as the distance I can travel. So I won’t be getting one any time soon until that happens. I’m concerned about the environment but again, my wallet is the deciding factor.

How many people select “redeem additional points to make your trip carbon neutral” option when redeeming a flight with a frequent flyer program?

Thought so.

Didn’t catch Air Force 1, CANFORCE 1 and a few other big wigs, but you get the idea…

Apparently the second tier landed at Prestwick.

The beautiful people flew direct into Edinburgh…(cameo appearance by CANFORCE 1 as POTUS’ Beast is unloaded from an economical C-17.

With so much government borrowing going on, pretending that any tax/fee/whatever revenue goes to a particular program is like pretending that your own house draws only electricity from renewable sources out of the grid.

Many of its proponents have noted that BC's carbon tax didn't seem to cause any economic problems. But people only really see it on a natural gas bill, at the gas pump, and in the general cost of everything. The cost of natural gas was falling (my net annual bill is still lower than it was then), oil prices had just started a precipitous drop, and - big difference - the GST was cut from 7% to 5% one month before the carbon tax was introduced. Three huge offsets moving in the other direction obliterated the impact of the new tax.

I doubt governments can count on any favourable offsetting effects right now or in the immediate future.

With so much government borrowing going on, pretending that any tax/fee/whatever revenue goes to a particular program is like pretending that your own house draws only electricity from renewable sources out of the grid.

Many of its proponents have noted that BC's carbon tax didn't seem to cause any economic problems. But people only really see it on a natural gas bill, at the gas pump, and in the general cost of everything. The cost of natural gas was falling (my net annual bill is still lower than it was then), oil prices had just started a precipitous drop, and - big difference - the GST was cut from 7% to 5% one month before the carbon tax was introduced. Three huge offsets moving in the other direction obliterated the impact of the new tax.

I doubt governments can count on any favourable offsetting effects right now or in the immediate future.
Without the carbon tax, would the price not be lower still and thus consumption even higher?

Good rant lol.

I agree with a lot of what you say. Consumption taxes can work to reduce usage but it needs to be paired with other programs to reduce use. cigarettes (as you mentioned above) though has seen significant decline over time. A tax was only part of an overall effort to reduce its use. And that tax goes to health care initiatives if I recall.

The issue is that gas prices don’t reduce usage. People still need to drive, goods still need delivering. People may be more inclined to by fuel efficient vehicles and even get things like electric cars and hybrids as they become more mainstream. Don’t kid yourself if you think people aren’t shifting that way. But it is taking a while to get there because of economic factors.

Until you can make those things affordable, convenient and adaptable, people won’t buy in. My biggest turn off about an electric car is the time it takes to charge and then availability of rapid charging station as well as the distance I can travel. So I won’t be getting one any time soon until that happens. I’m concerned about the environment but again, my wallet is the deciding factor.
When younger and dumber the wife and I would go for a drive around town just to see the sights or have the wind in our hair.

Gas was 90 cents then.

We wouldn't be doing it at 1.50 per litre, I'll tell you that right now.

Apparently the second tier landed at Prestwick.

The beautiful people flew direct into Edinburgh…(cameo appearance by CANFORCE 1 as POTUS’ Beast is unloaded from an economical C-17.

A quick question.

What would be the difference between a leader and their staff flying using their nations secure plane, and that leader and all their staff flying commercial?

Are they both not full planes of people going to the same destination?

Back to actual politics, good look on ya CPC, good look on ya.

Erin O’Toole’s stance on COVID-19 vaccinations hurt the Conservative Party’s recent election campaign and remains a divisive internal issue as a group of 15 to 30 Conservative MPs and Senators is set to start a new intra-party caucus on Nov. 8 called the “Civil Liberties Caucus” that Conservative MP Marilyn Gladu says will speak up for anti-vaxxers who are losing their jobs for refusing to get the shot.

The idea to start this caucus came at a social gathering of Parliamentarians early last month in Ottawa, after the first post-election caucus meeting, Ms. Gladu (Sarnia-Lambton, Ont.) told The Hill Times. At the time, a number of caucus members expressed concerns about some of their constituents losing their jobs in a variety of professions for refusing to get vaccinated. With House committees seeming unlikely to meet until February, the three-term MP said there’s no parliamentary forum in the interim where MPs can have a serious discussion on this issue. Ms. Gladu said this is the reason “like-minded” MPs and Senators decided to start this caucus.

Yes, please, be very vocal in your support of the anti vaccine people in society. This will go very well.

I often wonder, Altair, if you are a paid social media/internet forum influencer for the Trudeau LPC.

I often wonder, Altair, if you are a paid social media/internet forum influencer for the Trudeau LPC.
Same as I wonder if this place is a meeting space for CPC EDAs.

Last edited:
Without the carbon tax, would the price not be lower still and thus consumption even higher?

Discretionary consumption - like a day trip somewhere - would be higher. Very few people are going to turn a thermostat down below whatever they find comfortable just to save $20 a year.

Discretionary consumption - like a day trip somewhere - would be higher. Very few people are going to turn a thermostat down below whatever they find comfortable just to save $20 a year.
does that in itself not reduce emissions?

Back