• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Body Piercings

IN HOC SIGNO said:
My youngest son got his tongue pierced after he left home and it got infected and swoll up so he couldn't talk or hardly breath....he soon abandoned that as a bad idea...ah well another experiment on the road I guess.
Either the "Piercer" did not give proper direction following the piercing or your son did not follow it. I have met a few people over the years who had theirs done and were swelling up pretty bad. But soon as they followed proper advice (lots of ice) and used proper mouthwash (non-alcoholic) the swelling and infection was gone within 24 hours. (Also, no drinking through a straw or eating spicy foods for a week) The use of improper mouthwash though is the most common mistake.

Nonetheless, it is no different then getting a tattoo, you be absolutely confident in the piercers skill and attention to cleanliness of his tools and environement. If not then you are asking for trouble.

Once upon a time.....one of my troops had Dolphins tattooed around her navel. When she became pregnant they magically became Orcas!!

But after delivery, they deflated from those proud hunters of the deep, to wrinkled little Belugas......

I also gather certain piercings can, at least for this troop, cause problems when one goes into sudden and strong labour...... :eek:

Here is where one may find a copy of that paper:

http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Cerebellar_Brain_Abscess_Associated_with_Tongue_Piercing.pdf

There are several other accounts; a google search of 'tongue piercing and brain abscess' will bring up many.

Cheers,

redleafjumper said:
Here is where one may find a copy of that paper:
http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Cerebellar_Brain_Abscess_Associated_with_Tongue_Piercing.pdf
There are several other accounts; a google search of 'tongue piercing and brain abscess' will bring up many.
Cheers,

Thanks! It was......ummm....enlightening!!

"On the second day after the procedure, the patient noted increasing pain, swelling, and the development of a purulent, ill-tasting discharge from the piercing site."
7.gif
4.gif

So as far as piercings go I have had the following...

Left Eyebrow, 3 in each upper ear, my earlobes, mid-ear and the back of my neck pierced twice. I personally had no problem getting them, taking them in and out was a different story. The only one's I have left are my earlobes.

I am definately considering having my eyebrow redone as well as the back/nape of my neck, but we will see.

S.Stewart said:
So as far as piercings go I have had the following...

Left Eyebrow, 3 in each upper ear, my earlobes, mid-ear and the back of my neck pierced twice.

WHAT!?! I've often said I have seen everything... but apparently not....
Really... the BACK of your neck... really?

Pictures?

PMT 9D said:
WHAT!?! I've often said I have seen everything... but apparently not....
Really... the BACK of your neck... really?

Pictures?

Yeah its kind of a weird piercing.
By the way its not me in the picture, its just from google.

advanced_nape.jpg

The whole piercing the back of the neck is not a matter why?, but why NOT. I'm a big fan of tats and piercings. My studs in my neck i will post a picture if i have one kicking around were vertical down the nape.

I also have dark purple/plum hair if that tells you anything.

S.Stewart said:
The whole piercing the back of the neck is not a matter why?, but why NOT. I'm a big fan of tats and piercings. My studs in my neck i will post a picture if i have one kicking around were vertical down the nape.

I also have dark purple/plum hair if that tells you anything.

I suppose.

In my youth we had long hair, and muttonchops.  And when someone asked "Why", our answer was also "Why Not?"  (We also wore bell bottom jeans, and tie-dyed t-shirts).

It is, I guess, the fashion - and fashion follows no logic.

On the OTHER hand, once you became tired of long hair (and my hair was down to my ass), you could cut it off, and be no worse for wear - piercings (and tat's), on the other hand, are potentially dangerous, and in the case of tat's, can't be easily shucked off.

Have fun - and be safe - take the appliances out before doing anything physical, when you're tired of them, the holes will grow over - no harm done.

I'm just a FOG trying to understand - I don't have anything against the practice (other than the safety considerations), I just can't wrap my mind around it - that's what makes me a FOG, I guess!

Roy

I dated a guy with a pierced tongue..... >:D  but that's another story....hehehehe

I wouldnt call my tats, piercings, or hair colour a matter of fashion. My hair has been the same colour for about 4 years now, and my tats werent exactly done by impluse, considering tattoos to get them done properly and what you want, generally can be a large money investment.

But granted I have seen some impluse tattoos, done at a quick desicion by a not so great artist, and those are the kinds of things that one later regrets.

S.Stewart said:
I wouldnt call my tats, piercings, or hair colour a matter of fashion. My hair has been the same colour for about 4 years now, and my tats werent exactly done by impluse, considering tattoos to get them done properly and what you want, generally can be a large money investment.

But granted I have seen some impluse tattoos, done at a quick desicion by a not so great artist, and those are the kinds of things that one later regrets.

B.S.

You are altering your body in some manner (ink, dye, or holes in it) either to draw attention to yourself, or to fit in with your peer group.

That's fashion.

I have nothing AGAINST fashion - I'm just not sure that self mutilation is a wise way to go about it.

Roy

I beg to differ, for the pure fact that I believe tattoos are a very personal thing, actually mine arent visable, and I do not wear clothing to make them so. As far as my piercings they are non existant at the moment, and I consider them to be more self expression then fashion. But your right piercing very much can be see that way.

My hair colour well thats a long story why its the way it is, but it doesnt look out of place, when its up it just looks like its a deep burgandy in colour, its when its down that you can see they actual colour, so work wise and professional wise I have had no issues, with my tats, piercings or hair colour.

But as with anything, different generations have different opinions on things.

Roy Harding said:
B.S.

You are altering your body in some manner (ink, dye, or holes in it) either to draw attention to yourself, or to fit in with your peer group.

That's fashion.

I have nothing AGAINST fashion - I'm just not sure that self mutilation is a wise way to go about it.

Roy

It's not always to draw attention.  There are a lot of tattoos that are not generally visible.  Where's the attention drawing in that?  Peer group?  Maybe, but then the things that are under clothing still wouldn't apply.

Mutilation?  Strong language for a subjective topic.  Female circumcision is mutilation.  Some might consider male circumcision the same, some might not.  Very few consider pierced ears (esp. on a female) to be mutilation.  The difference between mutilation and beautification is cultural and subjective.

But, I might be wrong...

Piercing of genitalia might be considered such I think. My Operating Room Nurse wife says that there is a pretty good chance that you could damage nerve endings down there permanently which always makes me wonder what the point is of that particular manoeuvre considering that most folks think it's going to improve their wedding tackle in some fashion.

IHS, certainly!

I never said I thought it was all smart, or a good idea.  I'm just not sold on the idea of using a wide paint brush to characterize it all as attention seeking mutilation was right either.

Actually, padre, did you know that the Coptics have long (ancient, actually) traditions of getting crosses tattooed on themselves as a way of distinguishing themselves from their arabic/muslim neighbours?  In my neck of the woods, it's a beginning to be a bit of a trend amongst the Chalcedonion Orthodox to get similar tattoos now.  Weird, eh?

My apologies Roy, I didn't intend to be completely contrary to what you wrote, but looking back, I think it can be read that way.  I was just hoping to look at it from a different perspective, not to be confrontational.

I had my eyebrow pierced, and I also had a vertical lip piercing. I took both out before I handed in my forms for the military. They've been out of my body for roughly 8 1/2 - 9 months and I'm totally happy I did it. I look back on pictures and wondered why I found them so cool! I liked them, but I'm glad they're out.

Oh, also, I have a gaping hole above my eyebrow now.. and another hole below my lip.. the only hole that healed was the one on the inside of my lip.

Back