• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Reserves 2010 - 2017

BinRat55 said:
Slow down, take a breath - I never said "completely untrained". IOT deploy (even years ago) there was still training. Said training never includes career courses like QL3. It DOES include PWTIII at a minimum. Yes, they were given weapons. I trusted them completely on the range or even in a firefight. But not in my QM... I have had completely topped up-trained MCpls who shook violently when attempting to clear a 9mm for the first time.

The context here was intended for BMQ(L) training - SQ (Soldier Qualification), not friggin Bill Murray in "Stripes"!!

Gotcha, makes more sense.

What job were they doing if I may ask? Surely aside from weapon handling their skill level would have been on par with the guy who assisted the guy driving the s****er truck. Who was so desperate for live bodies that they needed a soldier with BMQ only?

Does anyone know why the Res F BMQ-L is now only something like 16 days? And now you no longer actually throw grenades, learn C6, and some other stuff?

Does anyone know the rationale behind this? Obviously budget cuts but it seems like at the very least the training a soldier gets on BMQ-L are essential skills for his whole career, and it seems foolhardy to cut short such essential training.

Can I expect these courses to get more and more rudimentary as the years go by?

I'm scheduled for a BMQ-L from 29 July to 15 August, guys on my course left for a BMQ-L that is also like 15 or 16 days.

Is the goal to make reservists useless for everything involving soldiering except filling sandbags in a domop?

Next thing I'll hear is that the PRes Infantry DP1 won't teach section attacks...  :facepalm:

PuckChaser said:
Is the goal to make reservists useless for everything involving soldiering except filling sandbags in a domop?

Next thing I'll hear is that the PRes Infantry DP1 won't teach section attacks...  :facepalm:

Tell me why a musician (example only)needs to fire a C 6? If they deploy outside Canada, presumably on an operation that requires them to fire a C6, they will be trained on pre deployment trg.
Firing 100 rounds from a C6 in the light role, then never touching it again is a waste of time and ammo.

Tell me why a musician (example only)needs to fire a C 6? If they deploy outside Canada, presumably on an operation that requires them to fire a C6, they will be trained on pre deployment trg.
Firing 100 rounds from a C6 in the light role, then never touching it again is a waste of time and ammo.

Res F band members in my unit at least, only have to do BMQ.

I can kind of understand it for non combat arms trades, but at the very least I think combat arms trades should still get the full BMQ-L.

Jim Seggie said:
........ they will be trained on pre deployment trg.

Always a frightening experience.

From what has been heard in 41 CBG...

Note: HEARD

Part Time courses: grenades will stay, range quals for C6, C9 Carl G and LAW removes.

Full Time: all components remain.

2ndChoiceName said:
Res F band members in my unit at least, only have to do BMQ.

I can kind of understand it for non combat arms trades, but at the very least I think combat arms trades should still get the full BMQ-L.

Infantry will take the complete weapons package on DP 1, so why waste time and ammo on BMQ?

Besides, employing the C6 is a combination of tactical skill (how it's used)and technical (weapons drills) skills. The C6 is not a weapon I'd give to a brand new DP1 qualified infantry man. But I digress.

Sorry.....

RedcapCrusader said:
From what has been heard in 41 CBG...

Note: HEARD

Part Time courses: grenades will stay, range quals for C6, C9 Carl G and LAW removes.

Full Time: all components remain.

Thats far different than removing the components all together, and makes a little bit more sense. I don't see how it saves all this time though, C6/C9 is one day, grenades one day, and LAW another. Is Carl G on the BMQ-L? I taught one last summer and we didn't run anything about the Carl G. Perhaps it was a lack of weapons systems, dunno.

Jim: Absolutely, thats why you guys have/had a full course for machine gun.

Infantry will take the complete weapons package on DP 1, so why waste time and ammo on BMQ?

Infantry will still get it, but other combat arms trades won't, like arty, armour, and engineers, who still have a very good chance of having to use those weapons.

I'm sure there's very little you would trust a brand new private with, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't know how to use it.

2ndChoiceName said:
Infantry will still get it, but other combat arms trades won't, like arty, armour, and engineers, who still have a very good chance of having to use those weapons.

I'm sure there's very little you would trust a brand new private with, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't know how to use it.

They other Cbt arms will get the trg, just not on BMQ. And yes, I agree they should know how to use the weapons available but teaching them on BMQ  in is a waste of time and ammo.

They other Cbt arms will get the trg, just not on BMQ.

Where have you heard that we will get this training? Are you saying that training will be conducted in the units?

2ndChoiceName said:
Where have you heard that we will get this training? Are you saying that training will be conducted in the units?

Either in the units or on pre deployment trg. Considering very roto is a roto zero, most have to redo trg they have completed, and are skilled at it.
The issue with teaching certain weapons on BMQ is skill fade. Like I said, 100 rounds from a C6 in the light role on BMQ is a waste of training time and ammo.
I never fired an MG on TQ 3 Infantry as there used to be a TQ4 Machine Gun course that taught you all about employment and the tech skills to be a machine gunner.

I get what you are saying I suppose, but ugh I just hate the idea that I'm part of a new generation of soldiers that are getting training inferior to mostly everybody who joined before them.

Not inferior - you just won't get some of the trg your predecessors received, and in due time you will.

Have you taken BMQ yet?

Jim Seggie said:
They other Cbt arms will get the trg, just not on BMQ. And yes, I agree they should know how to use the weapons available but teaching them on BMQ  in is a waste of time and ammo.

True.  C6, C9, M72 and Carl G have for the most part, always been part of Crewman TQ 3/QL 3/DP1 ( or whatever ) Gunnery Trg.  Having it on BMQ -L was a bonus and probably removed them for a time from Armour Trades trg.  Like the Inf, this should be no great problem for the Armour guys and will be covered in their Trades courses. 

2ndChoiceName said:
I get what you are saying I suppose, but ugh I just hate the idea that I'm part of a new generation of soldiers that are getting training inferior to mostly everybody who joined before them.

Many of your predecessors never received those weapons on BMQ or BMQ-L.  They received those on their Trades Crses once they had successfully completed Basic.  Service Rifle and Grenades were all that many of them got.  Some lucky ones had introduction to Pistol.  The really old ones may have had the SMG.

Back