• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Reserves 2010 - 2017

lite

Inactive
Reaction score
my name is Dustin
i'm 15 and looking to hopefully join the cf
i am worried about BMQ though, i've watched basic up and researched on the web about the cf and what you do in BMQ. i'm just wondering if theres anything i can do to prepare i'm athletic and i'm starting to jog more and do push ups as well as sit ups everyday. i'm just wondering if there is anything i can do to mentally to prepare.

all help is appreciated

lite said:
i'm just wondering if there is anything i can do to mentally to prepare.

Yes. Quit worrying. If you dont, its going to be a long 2 years.

And that is a lock.

Join us next time when Super Applicant realizes that his Arch-nemesis, Worry Wort, has found a way to infiltrate his dreams.  Will he reach out to his mentor, CDN Aviator, and delve into his nightmare battle, or will he use the evil elixir Red Bull to avoid sleep.

Sleep tight kids, and remember to tune in at the same SA time, and Same SA channel.

dileas

tess

milnet.ca staff

Hello, first off thanks for taking the time to read this.
I'm a VERY recently sworn in Pte hoping to join the 8CH as a reservist while I go to Paramedic Academy.
I have done 1 weekend of BMQ and I hate it, and I love it. I love the fact I am learning so much, I love the that fact it can be rewarding and the fact I have in a weekend met so many new friends. I love the Physical aspect of it. Just I find myself barely surviving morning inspections. I do my best to help out my team and have my stuff in order but never having anyone in my family in the military I never had a dose of military life. Mentally I can handle the late night and early mornings its just the constant feeling of my instructors down my throat like everything I do seems wrong, I know they are trying to help me but can someone please tell me from past experience if it gets any easier or worse.
-Thank you

Get easier, especially when you realize they're not trying to take it out on you for personal reasons.

mfrkennedy said:
never having anyone in my family in the military I never had a dose of military life.

Many people who join are just like you. You are not the first one. If "a taste of military life" was necessary, it would be on the application.

seems wrong,

It is not. Quit your bellyaching. Either carry on or get out.

Theres more to military life than BMQ but you have to get through this first. Its up to you to find a way to deal with it.

please tell me from past experience if it gets any easier or worse

We are not your mother that will tell you "there there it will get better soon".......Only you can make it better or worse. Right now, your attitude is making it worse.

Its up to you. What are you going to do ?

Whether it gets easier or worse will depend on you and your attitude. If you adopt an outlook thinking they are "down my throat like everything I do seems wrong", then it probably won't get any easier for you. But if you focus on things like "I love the fact I am learning so much, I love the that fact it can be rewarding and the fact I have in a weekend met so many new friends. I love the Physical aspect of it." then you may just find yourself excelling and enjoying it.

Don't overthink stuff or make things like inspections personal.

There is a reason for the inspections, yelling, stress.

- inspections help foster teamwork and attention to detail.  Why are they making you be so anal about how clean your boots are?  So you will pay that much attention to detail when cleaning weapons, radios or servicing a vehicle.  Now you know 1 "why".  Stop asking that question and get on with the 'doing'.

- yelling/stress, there is a reason.  You are going to be in a Res unit that crews 'some kind of vehicle'.  The vehicle will at some point have you as the driver, and someone called a Crew Commander will be in charge.  You drive where/how they say.  WHEN things are busy in that vehicle, say doing any kind of tactical movement cross-country, with a radio going, people talking inside it indicating contacts, etc...lets say the Crew Commander sees a rock, or trench, or something that must be avoided he or she WILL yell at you.  "HARD RIGHT!!!!!" or "STOP!!!!!!!!" or something.  You need to REACT, and in cases like that without hesitation.  There's one reason yelling is something you should get used to. 

Here's my advice for you.  Take the panty hose off, put the combat pants on, and feel around your back for your spine.  Give yourself time to be conditioned to the training, and don't ask "why", you are NOT there to assess, you are there to perform.  Don't take stuff personal, and you'll should fine as long as you are performing to your best.

If you can't hack it, well....

:2c:

Thank you all of you for your quick replies. I'm going to stick with it, In my regular job I'm used to stress and having to perform as people's life are at risk there too. I get it Man up or go home. Looks like I have some adapting to do

and just so you know - it will get easier and harder at points over the years but in the end should be worth it.  When the harder overshadows the easier you will know it is time to pack it in.

You've also stated a big problem....you've "done 1 weekend of BMQ".

Give it time.

True, I appreciate the well rounded answers, I think I'd be dissapointed if it was easy. My school isn't easy, and I guess life isn't easy. I appreciate the advice and the kick in the butt. I'll see this thru.

I share your worries bud. I'm starting on Feb 8th i think and im about as prepared as a deer in headlights. This should be fun. Lemme know how your doing. Remeber, we're all in this together. I'm pulling for yah.

Stop the handwringing. You'll work yourselves into a tizzy
ohno.gif

You're acting like a bunch of little girls.

They can't kill you. That's illegal.

As someone still here, finishing the end of my BMOQ - take a few deep breaths. Be in the best shape you can, take everything the staff say and learn from it (do you really think they WANT to make you miserable?).  The stress is part of the process - if you can't handle someone yelling at you now, how can you possibly handle a combat situation?

There is a reason you can't quit in the first 5 weeks - you need time to adjust to the realities of the military experience.  Things get better the more you put into it.

Ayrsayle said:
(do you really think they WANT to make you miserable?). 

Actually, I'm pretty sure they do!  ;D

In all seriousness.  Hang in there.  Don't take it personally.  It does get better and remember that the staff's actual goal is to graduate, not fail, as many trainees as possible.

Either way inspection and getting yelled at isn't supposed to be fun.  And you are missing a big point of the experience by coming onto these forums to get your support.  There are a couple dozen guys on course with you that are experiencing the same things as you.  Suck it up and take the troops around you and start learning how to work and live as a team.  And here are a couple things to keep in mind.

-Inspection will never be good enough, but you can hope for a simple "needs improvement"

-It is not personal.  If you mess up you mess up.  If your teammate messes up, you mess up.  If the super bowl doesn't go the way the staff wants it to go, you mess up.  You are an emotional punching bag for the duration of your training.  Because you need to learn to work and concentrate under stress, constant stress, no matter from what angle it is coming at you from

-You are learning to be a soldier, not a daycare nurse.  Sympathy, rationale, and common sense do not always need to be a part of the equation. Soldiering on does.

-Earn your respect, don't expect it.

DND Dan said:
.... you need to learn to work and concentrate under stress, constant stress, no matter from what angle it is coming at you from
True, but....
DND Dan said:
.... rationale, and common sense do not always need to be a part of the equation ....
... I hope this isn't the case.

Back