• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Reserves 2010 - 2017

Anyone here going to Summer BMQ from beginning of July to August in Winnipeg? if so, give me a shout!

Let's say you're currently in the reserve force BMQ/BMQL full time for the summer that just started yesterday......

1. Is there a way to drop the training now and redo it in the fall?
Is that only possible if you injure yourself? Is there a way to redo it later or you can only leave through voluntary release and in that case you'll have to reapply and go through the whole recruiting process again?

2. if you want to switch to do the officer route, and you have a university degree, how do you do that? what if you're currently on BMQ. Can you talk to them to drop out of bMQ and complete BMOQ instead at a later time?

3. I know the Toronto location, you get weekends off, how come the kingston location has activities planned for all weekends so they are not allowed out?
The joining instructions for the Kingston Location indicated the weekends there will be activities planned so they cannot leave. Does it say that for all joining instructions for all locations and in the end it depends on the instructor?

4. The joining instructions also said you can request a leave between BMQ/ BMQL on that weekend between the course. What are the chances they will let you?

5. For BMQL which is only 2 weeks, it says you're most likely to get weekends off, but they have field training scheduled on the 2nd weekend? does that mean they will get the first weekend off?

You can voluntarily drop from training, your unit will most likely want to speak with you about that at some point as well.

If you wish to go Officer, speak with your chain of command(supervisor) at your unit. Don't expect it to be a quick process though. Would have been better if you had originally applied for an officer position vice NCM.

As for training scheduled on weekends/weekends off on your course, I can't speak to that.

The weekend off between the two courses, there is no training scheduled for that weekend as your BMQ is over and BMQ-L has not yet started. So, chances are good it will be off.

Getting that weekend off will depend on your course and staff. No one here can guarantee what will happen.

I have a few questions if someone could help

I'm wondering if, lets say you are currently on BMQ/BMQL that started yesterday.

1. Is it possible to get out of full time training and redo part time in september ??
Is that not possible unless its due to injury? if you want to withdraw is the only possible way voluntary release? and with that does that mean that you will have to go through recruiting process again?

2. If you want to become an officer instead, and you have a university degree, how do you do that? Should you not be on BMQ course right now since you'll need BMOQ?

3. Do the joining instructions for all reserve BMQ/BMQL state that there will be activities scheduled for weekends and they don't get weekends off? Then in the end it'll be up to your instructor? I know BMQ in toronto, but joining instructions for Kingston says activities are planned on weekends?????

LightFighter said:
You can voluntarily drop from training, your unit will most likely want to speak with you about that at some point as well.

If you wish to go Officer, speak with your chain of command(supervisor) at your unit. Don't expect it to be a quick process though. Would have been better if you had originally applied for an officer position vice NCM.

As for training scheduled on weekends/weekends off on your course, I can't speak to that.

The weekend off between the two courses, there is no training scheduled for that weekend as your BMQ is over and BMQ-L has not yet started. So, chances are good it will be off.

Getting that weekend off will depend on your course and staff. No one here can guarantee what will happen.

@LightFighter but if you voluntarily drop from training, do you have to go through the recruiting process again? or can you just redo the training in the fall part time?

tempurabits said:
@LightFighter but if you voluntarily drop from training, do you have to go through the recruiting process again? or can you just redo the training in the fall part time?

You are just removing yourself from the course, not the Canadian Forces.  Recruits have requested to Cease Training for various reasons and attended a future BMQ course.  How ever, if you withdrawal yourself from a future course, your time in the CF may come to an end shortly. 

Once you request through your staff that you wish to cease training; you will continue training for another 24 hours, and the staff will confirm this is what you want, than start the process to RTU you.

If you remove yourself from training, your unit may not be too happy it, and will discuss it with you. As well they will want to know your reasons and why it wasn't brought up before you attended the course(unless of course something happened while you were on course without warning).

By removing yourself from a course you basically took the spot of a recruit who could have gone on the course instead of you. This is one less member BMQ qualified.

It also shows a certain level of uncertainty which will impact your CoC's opinion of your dedication to the unit. They'll then have to question if you will do the same thing in the future. If the reason is medical or a personal family issue, they might understand. However, if it is because of preference, they will not be happy.

All members, NCM or Officers, have to do BMQ. BMQ for the reserves is the same for all members. So doing BMQ as an NCM will be the same as for an Officer. BMOQ is a different course done at a different time.

I'll give you the same advice that was given me; get your qualifications done as soon as you can. Also, weekend BMQ is hard than full-time summer BMQ for the simple reason that you have so much time between training weekends that you will have some knowledge loss from weekend to weekend.

Concentrate on the course, complete it, and don't worry about weekends off. If you get weekends off, great; just don't plan on it.

As for going Officer, that is totally up to your unit. Talk to your CoC and see what their process is.

Anyone else going for the Fall 2017 BMQ in the Toronto/GTA area?

I joined up on this website when I initially started my recruitment process at the CF. However, as we know, it is a 'hurry up and wait!' sort of experience for some, and I was one of those lucky few.

I started to update my profile on this site but then gave up after some time. Then one day when I received the good news that everything was in order and I would be getting sworn in! Now that is done, I am looking forward (a little apprehensively) to the Fall 2017 BMQ.  :nod: It still feels so surreal!

SashaQ said:
Fall 2017 BMQ in Ontario (Toronto/GTA) anyone?  8)

Did you get your schedule yet for toronto bmq weekends ? if so do you mind sharing which are the training weekends ??

tempurabits said:
Did you get your schedule yet for toronto bmq weekends ? if so do you mind sharing which are the training weekends ??

Hi, I got the schedule but I am not doing it in Toronto anymore.

Hi,

Does anyone know if weekend BMQ for reserves run through Christmas and the New year? I've been trying to get an answer in order to book plane tickets. Will there be specific dates during the holiday season in which BMQ will be guaranteed NOT to run?
Thanks!

JustinL said:
Does anyone know if weekend BMQ for reserves run through Christmas and the New year?

Original Post of this discussion,
Skeatah33 said:
We have a 4 week break over the Christmas holidays,

mariomike said:
Original Post of this discussion,

Thanks for the quick reply. The reason I asked is because I had my enrollment ceremony today and one of the guys in charge said the weekend is off only if the holiday falls on a weekend, otherwise it's not. This contradicted what I've been reading on the forums so I was wondering if the break varies by location (I'm at 32 CBG) or if there is a "general" break that applies to all BMQs

JustinL said:
Thanks for the quick reply.

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

As always,  your reserve unit is your most trusted source of information.

Back