• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Reserves 2010 - 2017

a Sig Op said:
Yes.

Yes they do.

Let me rephase.  I should have specified that you getting jacked up and yelled at do not need to meet those criteria,  your personal work does however,  sorry for the misonception.

DND Dan said:
Let me rephase.  I should have specified that you getting jacked up and yelled at do not need to meet those criteria,  your personal work does however,  sorry for the misonception.

Still not right there. If a candidate is getting "jacked up and yelled at" it should be for a reason that meets those criteria. You may not understand how meeting timings is common sense yet or how having your pers kit squared away is logical but in the culture that you are joining, namely that of the CF, they are. If instructors are yelling and "jacking up" people without any sense or rationale, then they are not doing their jobs effectively. It is possible that the rationale in a given circumstance might be to increase pressure to see how you react but there should always be a reason. You goal as a recruit is to react to what they are telling you to do and then later reflect and try to take a lesson out of it. Sometimes, it may not be until much later in your career that certain incidents on BMQ/BMOQ start to make sense to you.

I would highly recommend the book Starship Troopers for more on the nature of "basic" training. The movie was horrible but the book is outstanding and on many professional reading lists for a reason (including the Infantry School's if I am not mistaken).

jeffb said:
I would highly recommend the book Starship Troopers for more on the nature of "basic" training. The movie was horrible but the book is outstanding and on many professional reading lists for a reason (including the Infantry School's if I am not mistaken).

But the shower scene in that movie was outstanding!  If only we adopted that approach. ;D

I am wondering if anyone knows of a policy anywhere that states that members (in this case reservists) are not authorized to stay overnight in the field on unit exercises if they have not completed BMQ Land/SQ.  I have been told that members with BMQ and QL3 but lacking BMQ(L) can participate in field exercises, but are not authorized to stay overnight in the field.  I have been looking for relevant policy/regulations supporting this position but have thus far been unsuccessful.  I was just wondering if anyone has any information regarding this issue, whether or not members are allowed to participate in reserve unit field exercises (staying in the field overnight) without having completed BMQ(L).

Thanks.

I am not sure where it is found, but I know when I was a reservist with just BMQ ( I did not have BMQL) I could go on a field ex and stay over night but only if I was doing GD work and staying @ HQ but wasnt allowed in the feild at all.

Seriously?

Honestly, don't waste your time "hunting" for relevant policy and regulation on this subject. If your unit CO needs you in the field, you will be in the field. If you are looking for ways to get out of going to the field, maybe the military life is not for you. If you are looking for ways to get into the field and are being told this... story... I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt, I have served in Afghanistan with reservists who never even had a QL3 under their belt, let alone a BMQ(L)... I would consider that a little more, shall we say substantial, than overnight in the field...

BinRat55 said:
I have served in Afghanistan with reservists who never even had a QL3 under their belt, let alone a BMQ(L)..

You served with pers in Afghanistan who weren't trade qualified? 

As for the staying in the field without BMQ-Land;  I know Reg Force pers who were BMQ and QL3 qualified but didn't have SQ (this was a few years ago) and they had no employment limitations(they could go into the field without issue, etc).

Change from the old days when a conversation on a Friday night at the armouries went like this:

"You new guy.... you sworn in?"

"Yes Warrant"

"Right then go draw rucksack,  sleeping bag and other stuff you'll need (FN, EIS) from the CQMS and get on that truck outside, ya got 5 minutes.... move."

Yes Warrant."

Mind I to would be interested in hearing details on the "I'm not qualified so send me to a war zone"  there Binrat.

BinRat55 said:
Seriously?

Honestly, don't waste your time "hunting" for relevant policy and regulation on this subject. If your unit CO needs you in the field, you will be in the field. If you are looking for ways to get out of going to the field, maybe the military life is not for you. If you are looking for ways to get into the field and are being told this... story... I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt, I have served in Afghanistan with reservists who never even had a QL3 under their belt, let alone a BMQ(L)... I would consider that a little more, shall we say substantial, than overnight in the field...

When I taught on a reserve BMQ(L) there were very specific criteria when a recruit could stay over night on exercise and where they were allowed to sleep, depending on their level of training.  Hardshacks > range building or mod tent > hoochie. I lost a battle trying to get non BMQ recruits out to the field over night to act as GD.

I'm also a little confused who you worked with from the reserves who were untrained recruits fresh off the street?

ObedientiaZelum said:
When I taught on a reserve BMQ(L) there were very specific criteria when a recruit could stay over night on exercise and where they were allowed to sleep, depending on their level of training.  Hardshacks > range building or mod tent > hoochie. I lost a battle trying to get non BMQ recruits out to the field over night to act as GD.

I'm also a little confused who you worked with from the reserves who were untrained recruits fresh off the street?

I too am curious as to how a non-QL3 deployed to Afghanistan. How did they get CFTPO'd, and what numbskull allowed it to happen? Imagine the storm of fecal matter should something have happened to this recruit??????

I've hear that at my unit many times but have yet to see a proper or clear ref supporting it.
Funny and Sad, really.
Cubs, ages 8-12 can sleep outdoors supervised;
Scouts, ages 12-16 can sleep outdoors in improvised shelters
Cadets, ages 12-18 can sleep outdoors and in improvised shelters, supervised...
then Bam! join the fighting force and suddenly you need a couple of courses before you are allowed to stay out, with supervision?

I know very little about reserve training...but on Reg Force BMQ....candidates sleep outside in hoochies.  Is this not the same on Reserve BMQ?
EDIT to add: I guess my point is that it can be done DURING BMQ, but not after?

It's not just a question of "sleeping in the field" but also of the associated camp routines, weapons handling, etc, etc that individuals do not know.  And an FTX is different from a course where it's known that all are candidates.

I will try to find the ref over the next few days - no guarantees, though.

BinRat55 said:
Seriously?

It sounds like the OP is trying to find the relevant policy so they can go to the field not avoiding it. In my unit I know people have been denied going on field ex's due to not having a BMQ-L even when they have their trades course. It would be a good thing to know if this is a actual policy or something someone made up has stuck.

Considering up until the mid 2000s, RegF 291ers weren't required to do SQ and were still allowed to go to the field.

I've only ever heard of pers not going to the field when its a winter ex and they don't have Winter Indoc or Winter Warfare.

-Skeletor- said:
You served with pers in Afghanistan who weren't trade qualified? 

<< Off topic >>

I know three pers who served in Afghanistan while not trade qualified. All officers.

Two were from the ranks, one was an occupational transfer, and all three were looking at long (year+) waits to do their initial qualification courses. So the system put them to work in Kandahar doing jobs that they were capable of doing, even though they were technically untrained in their present MOSID.

BinRat55 said:
Seriously?

I'm not asking for me. In my 11 years I've been to the field many times.  I like going to the field.  I've also been to Afghanistan; I'm calling shenanigans on your claim that you "...served in Afghanistan with reservists who never even had a QL3 under their belt...".  And FWIW before you take a run at someone, perhaps you should figure out who your target is.  But all the same thanks for your feedback.  It is duly noted.

Eaglelord17 - my thoughts exactly.  I am asking the question because I want to find a way for some of our new guys to have more participation in an upcoming unit exercise.  Some highers at my unit are adamant that this is a set-in-stone policy (somewhere), but I have not been able to find anything in writing one way or the other.  If anyone knows of any kind of reference on this issue it would be much appreciated.

IIRC, you can go to the field, but under max supervision. You are also only allowed to do, or participate in, those tasks for which you've been trained.

i.e. - if you haven't had weapons training, comms and challenge procedure, you cannot do sentry. However, if you've had camp and fire procedures you can do fire piquet.

There was a standing policy in 31 BG at one time, I don't know if it still exists. Been awhile.

Ostrozac said:
<< Off topic >>

I know three pers who served in Afghanistan while not trade qualified. All officers.

Two were from the ranks, one was an occupational transfer, and all three were looking at long (year+) waits to do their initial qualification courses. So the system put them to work in Kandahar doing jobs that they were capable of doing, even though they were technically untrained in their present MOSID.

Further de-rail...

An officer who is not fully trained to DP1 status is not quite the same as a non-QL3, reservist being deployed.

I'm still waiting for the explanation on that one.

Back