• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anti-war protesters get fast start on PM

Banning religion would just make it worse. Say you‘re a devout <insert religion here>, and all of a sudden what you were raised to beleive would be banned.. Would you be pissed off? Would you rise against opression?

Yes, there are violent fundamentalists of all religions, and yes, that is bad. But what about the non-violent majority? Is every Christian bombing abortion clinics, is every Muslim crashing airplanes into buildings? No.

Forcing atheism on people is not right, nor would it get rid of hatred all of a sudden.

But what about the non-violent majority? Is every Christian bombing abortion clinics, is every Muslim crashing airplanes into buildings? No.
The Muslims who have set themselves against us associate themselves with groups that have some sort of hierarchy, logistical centers and loci of support, making them vulnerable to attack. That is why the West is prosecuting the war in the manner it is, contary to the myth that American is seeking to wipe out Islam and the cultures of South Asia, a myth the anti-war crowd would like us to believe.

gate_guard : Thank you for your response.
We declared war on Germany in 1939 due to the fact that they had taken over Poland illegally, which forced Britain to go to war, due to the fact that Britain and Poland had an agreement. It was a violation of a non-secret alliance, and therefore Britain was correct in taking action against Germany. As we were still considered Britain‘s spawn at the time, we were justified in helping protect Britain.

What would have happend had Britain not had an agreement with Poland? Impossible to say. Russia may have defeated Germany singlehandedly. They also may not have. America seemed to be doing fairly well for themselves until Japan attacked in 1941. Japan was a country which directly attacked and acknowledged attacking the united states by declaring war. Therefore the USA was justified in retaliating against Japan, and its ally Germany (and other Axis nations).

Infanteer - I am looking at the picture above, and I see american buildings, in an american city, getting smashed by american airlines. I realize there are Canadians in the american buildings, who are supporting the american government by working in those buildings, but other then that, I do not see any attack on Canada.

Upon reading your post, I also realize that you have unfortunately bought into the bush propaganda line that "they attacked us because they hate our freedom". This is a pure and simple lie. They attacked you because:
a) Unconditional support for Isreal
b) American military bases in the holy land (Saudi Arabia).

They could not care less about your "freedom". Again, if they loved it so much, they would move to america. As many of them do.

As for the better solution you desire, consider this: Leave those countries alone, build up a military based on defending Canada, make it impossible for anyone to attack us, barbed wire and anti aircraft guns on every coast, battleships patrolling every inch of sea, barbed wire and minefields for kilometers in from the sea and a network of terrorist vaporising sattelites in orbit.

Let them bicker and fight things out so that they can end up progressing into a more "enlightened" society, as we have.

Yes this may include going through horrible wars, as we in the west have, but they will emerge as we do in the end. They will end up better off. Its how the world works.

I don‘t mean by the following comparison to insult middle easterners at all, because I have nothing but respect for their culture, but if you want an analogy: one can not expect to sit a caveman infront of a computer and expect him to start surfing the internet right away. He must learn about electricity, learn about electronics, learn abstract concepts such as moving a mouse to move the pointer on the screen and then learn that there is a bigger world out there that he can communicate with. He wants to smash the computer and use the glass and metal as cutting tools. He cannot be taught how to use the computer, as you do not even speak the same language as the caveman. Anything you knew about his culture was lost to the ages. if you try to get near him to show him, he will try to smash your head and eat your brains. It is just something he must learn by himself over a few million years of evolution.

Don‘t be so ‘open minded that your brain falls out. js

NBK,
I agree with your last point/analogy:
It is very similar to the way in which the Europeans colonised Africa, they pushed it so hard and so quickly into a European lifestyle,assuming the natives would accept it simply because it is more "advanced", that it did more harm then good..
While the Middle East situation is a little different in that they have been exposed to western culture quite a bit more then the original african had, it runs along the very same lines.

Please realize, all of you, that there are elements within the hard line Muslim community that would like nothing better than to see us either enslaved as sub human ( infidels, yes they DO use that word!) or have us killed outright.
I respect other cultures as much as the next man but I have no problem with removing power from a group that do nothing but exploit and destroy anyone they can get their hands on.
I don‘t ever want to have to fight that war here!
They do...think about it...!

Originally posted by JSA:
[qb] Don‘t be so ‘open minded that your brain falls out. js [/qb]
Haha even though that was at my expense, I thought that was cute. :D

Infanteer - I am looking at the picture above, and I see american buildings, in an american city, getting smashed by american airlines. I realize there are Canadians in the american buildings, who are supporting the american government by working in those buildings, but other then that, I do not see any attack on Canada.
That is all you see? I see the symbol of the liberal capitalist/democratic system. The attack on the Pentagon was a similar attack. Do you really believe Al Queda thought they could actually disable the US military with what they did? Canadian society is so intergrated with that of the US that to believe that the attacks were not targeting us is wishful thinking at best.

Upon reading your post, I also realize that you have unfortunately bought into the bush propaganda line that "they attacked us because they hate our freedom". This is a pure and simple lie. They attacked you because:
a) Unconditional support for Isreal
b) American military bases in the holy land (Saudi Arabia).
They could not care less about your "freedom". Again, if they loved it so much, they would move to america. As many of them do.
Your ability to read into my beliefs on the war are a bit off, if this is what you have drawn from my posts. There is a war against differing ways of life going on. The underpinnings of our modern society demands that
a) We support the right to exist of a sovereign democractic nation in a region determined to eradicate it.
b) We ensure regional stability in an area that holds important natural resources neccessary to the everyday life of almost everybody in the West. If you think we could ignore this reagion, you are again relying on wishful thinking.

As for the better solution you desire, consider this: Leave those countries alone, build up a military based on defending Canada, make it impossible for anyone to attack us, barbed wire and anti aircraft guns on every coast, battleships patrolling every inch of sea, barbed wire and minefields for kilometers in from the sea and a network of terrorist vaporising sattelites in orbit.

Let them bicker and fight things out so that they can end up progressing into a more "enlightened" society, as we have.
Again, another silly propostion. Our way of life and the world we live in demands that we are open and interactive with the rest of the world. How can you realistically expect Canada, a trading nation built up of many peoples, to "board up all the windows and doors". The friction that has come from our societal interaction is playing out, and this is Social Darwinism flowing along its natural course.

Yes this may include going through horrible wars, as we in the west have, but they will emerge as we do in the end. They will end up better off. Its how the world works.

I don‘t mean by the following comparison to insult middle easterners at all, because I have nothing but respect for their culture, but if you want an analogy: one can not expect to sit a caveman infront of a computer and expect him to start surfing the internet right away. He must learn about electricity, learn about electronics, learn abstract concepts such as moving a mouse to move the pointer on the screen and then learn that there is a bigger world out there that he can communicate with. He wants to smash the computer and use the glass and metal as cutting tools. He cannot be taught how to use the computer, as you do not even speak the same language as the caveman. Anything you knew about his culture was lost to the ages. if you try to get near him to show him, he will try to smash your head and eat your brains. It is just something he must learn by himself over a few million years of evolution.
I never said we were there to democratize the region. I never said it was the best course of action either, because history shows it to be contingent on other factors such as rule of law, liberal economy, and a degree of political freedom within society...which are non-existant throughout most of the region.
What we are doing is imperialism, and given the set of circumstances, I say it is warranted. We are not leaving South Asia for a while, and military occupation is a form of behavioral moderation in the area to protect the interests of our way of life. Some flower-child can give me a rant onto why imperialism is bad, but he, like you, has yet to present a better course of action.

Thankyou infanteer for the oh so subtle name calling.
I never disagreed with the action, and I agree with you in that it is probably warranted, I just said it paralelled the historical situation of Europe and Africa. So for once we don‘t lie top far apart with our stances, as you are correct, I cannot present a better course of action. I also don‘t think my last post qualified as a rant, but I know you enjoy picking on me so it‘s alright.

And the reason I have such idealistic (and I realise they are for the most part impossiible) goal‘s, is because of something I learned in the army actually. If you aim high on the target when you are far away from it, you will hit the center, you won‘t hit your high and lofty goal but you will hit the best situation.
So even if it isn‘t the best option, it is a better option then if you had aimed straight at the center and fallen short of that.

Thankyou infanteer for the oh so subtle name calling.
I never disagreed with the action, and I agree with you in that it is probably warranted, I just said it paralelled the historical situation of Europe and Africa. So for once we don‘t lie top far apart with our stances, as you are correct, I cannot present a better course of action. I also don‘t think my last post qualified as a rant, but I know you enjoy picking on me so it‘s alright.
Read my post again, it was a response to nbk‘s post, but the complaint department thanks you for your concern.

And the reason I have such idealistic (and I realise they are for the most part impossiible) goal‘s, is because of something I learned in the army actually. If you aim high on the target when you are far away from it, you will hit the center, you won‘t hit your high and lofty goal but you will hit the best situation.
So even if it isn‘t the best option, it is a better option then if you had aimed straight at the center and fallen short of that.
I am still trying to figure out what the h*ll this has to do with the argument.

It wasn‘t a complaint infanteer so its headed to the wrong department, and if I wasn‘t the other flower child you were referring to then disregard the last post (although I‘m sure you already have.)
And the second part relates to all of the arguments in general, involving my idealist platitudes that I‘ve spouted in the course of this thread and others.
And I suppose you‘re going to respond by calling me an idiot or that i should do as I‘m told, and that‘s going to spiral into name calling again. So I‘ll just say go ahead and disregard the whole message anyways, for the sake of continuing the debate in the right direction.

However I can also see the other side of the story. Yes the Taliban was backwards to us. Yes they abused women and had what we would consider an archaic system and culture. But people do forget that *it was still their culture*. It does not matter how backwards and "human rights violating" it looks to us, because it is not our country. If they do not like it, they will come live in our country, we do not need to go destroy their culture.
If we left them alone, they would leave us alone.
They would not pose a threat to us.
Think about it for a moment. How would you like it if the Taliban came over here and forced us to live under a strict Islamic system? My guess is that you would not like it. So why are we forcing them to live under what we decide is "right"?
The Taliban did not come to power just because they were the biggest bullies on the block, but because they had support of the public, this is why they were not overthrown by their own people.
My God. Even with the increasingly pinko anti-American tone this board is taking, this is unreal. That is the most disgusting, morally bankrupt, and ignorant post I have seen on this board. Congratulations, you have made me physically sick. I‘ve heard plenty of pinkos try the "moral equivalency" crap before, but you are simply all 31 flavours of f$cked up. I despair that there are people who live under the warm blanket of freedom and equality that are so willing to throw away the lives of women and children because they were born into the "wrong" culture.
nbk, where was it that we went so wrong as to have little trolls like you simply abandon the notion of universal right and wrong??? To reiterate... my God.

It wasn‘t a complaint infanteer so its headed to the wrong department, and if I wasn‘t the other flower child you were referring to then disregard the last post (although I‘m sure you already have.)
And the second part relates to all of the arguments in general, involving my idealist platitudes that I‘ve spouted in the course of this thread and others.
And I suppose you‘re going to respond by calling me an idiot or that i should do as I‘m told, and that‘s going to spiral into name calling again. So I‘ll just say go ahead and disregard the whole message anyways, for the sake of continuing the debate in the right direction.
I still don‘t know what you are getting at. Do you have something to contribute to the debate, or are you just going to keep calling me a meanie.

Marauder, keep it coming brother. ;)

To anyone who cares, I emailed StopWar.ca the other day ( Friday )and still have not recieved a responce. They most be really busy people.

Where did we go wrong when some of you all can seriously compare our society (with all it‘s faults) to the Taliban (who were shooting women in the back of the head on a sports feild and televising it for all to see). I don‘t know where you folks are from but if that‘s what defending us... js

Proper techniques of dealing with hippies can be found at the following site:

http://www.devo.com/tft/hippie/tactics.html

As well as other useful information.

The people of Afghanistan have had decades of war between Afghanis and the Soviets and more recently the Northern Alliance and the Taliban. Now ISAF is there to try to give the Afghans some sort of peaceful future, and stopwar.ca wants us out. I don‘t think they realize that wars gave them the freedom to protest against the PM. Something that a war has also given the Afghan people.

Can‘t we send those "stopwar.ca" people in the RCR‘s stead? Put up or shut up.

Originally posted by Enzo:
[qb] Can‘t we send those "stopwar.ca" people in the RCR‘s stead? Put up or shut up. [/qb]
ENZO
They don‘t have time to deploy anywhere...What with the full protest schedule lined up for this summer. Where can you find time to go stop a war when you‘re doing that?

Back