• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Top UK Gen says get out of Iraq - fast

MarkOttawa

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
An interview with the UK Chief of The General Staff:
http://www.windsorleadershiptrust.org.uk/en/1/rdannatt.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=410175&in_page_id=1770

The story (it's long, but...shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act):
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=410163&in_page_id=1770&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=NEWS&ct=5

The head of the Army is calling for British troops to withdraw from Iraq "soon" or risk catastophic consequences for both Iraq and British society.

In a devastating broadside at Tony Blair's foreign policy, General Sir Richard Dannatt stated explicitly that the continuing presence of British troops "exacerbates the security problems" in Iraq.

In an exclusive interview with the Daily Mail, Sir Richard also warns that a "moral and spiritual vacuum" has opened up in British society, which is allowing Muslim extremists to undermine "our accepted way of life."

The Chief of the General Staff believes that Christian values are under threat in Britain and that continuing to fight in Iraq will only make the situation worse.

His views will send shockwaves through Government.

They are a total repudiation of the Prime Minister, who has repeatedly insisted that British presence in Iraq is morally right and has had no effect on our domestic security.

Sir Richard, who took up his post earlier this year, warned that "our presence in Iraq exacerbates" the "difficulties we are facing around the world."

He lambasts Tony Blair's desire to forge a "liberal democracy" in Iraq as a "naive" failure and he warns that "whatever consent we may have had in the first place" from the Iraqi people "has largely turned to intolerance."

In one of the most outspoken interviews ever given by a serving soldier, Sir Richard also reveals:

* He was "outraged" by reports of injured soldiers recouperating in hospital alongside civilians being confronted by anti-war campaigners who told them to remove their uniforms.

* He gave Defence Secretary Des Browne a dressing down about the "unaccepatble" treatment of injured soldiers, warning him that the government was in danger of breaking the "covenant" between a nation and its Army and should not "let the Army down."

* He understands why Prince William and Prince Harry want to serve on the frontline but has not yet decided whether they will be allowed to fight in Afghanistan.

But it is Sir Richard's views of the situation in Iraq that will enrage Downing Street.

He says clearly we shoud "get ourselves out sometime soon because our presence exacerbates the security problems."

"We are in a Muslim country and Muslims' views of foreigners in their country are quite clear."

As a foreigner, you can be welcomed by being invited in a country, but we weren’t invited certainly by those in Iraq at the time.

"The military campaign we fought in 2003 effectively kicked the door in. Whatever consent we may have had in the first place, may have turned to tolerance and has largely turned to intolerance."

"That is a fact. I don’t say that the difficulties we are experiencing round the world are caused by our presence in Iraq but undoubtedly our presence in Iraq exacerbates them."

In comments that set him at loggerheads with Mr Blair, Gen Dannatt warns that the good intentions of 2003 have long since evaporated - pitching British troops into a lethal battle that few at home can understand.

"I think history will show that the planning for what happened after the initial successful war fighting phase was poor, probably based more on optimism than sound planning," he said.

"The original intention was that we put in place a liberal democracy that was an exemplar for the region, was pro West and might have a beneficial effect on the balance within the Middle East."

"That was the hope, whether that was a sensible or naïve hope history will judge. I don’t think we are going to do that. I think we should aim for a lower ambition."

The Prime Minister has repeatedly insisted that British troops must stay until the Iraqi security forces are able to take charge - a forlorn hope as the country has slipped to the brink of civil war.

Sir Richard warned that the consequences will be felt at home, where failure to support Christian values is allowing a predatory Islamist vision to take hold.

He said: "When I see the Islamist threat in this country I hope it doesn’t make undue progress because there is a moral and spiritual vacuum in this country."

"Our society has always been embedded in Christian values; once you have pulled the anchor up there is a danger that our society moves with the prevailing wind."

"There is an element of the moral compass spinning. I think it is up to society to realise that is the situation we are in."

"We can’t wish the Islamist challenge to our society away and I believe that the army both in Iraq and Afghanistan and probably wherever we go next, is fighting the foreign dimension of the challenge to our accepted way of life."

"We need to face up to the Islamist threat, to those who act in the name of Islam and in a perverted way try to impose Islam by force on societies that do not wish it."

"It is said that we live in a post Christian society. I think that is a great shame. The broader Judaic-Christian tradition has underpinned British society. It underpins the British army."

General Dannatt says he has "more optimism" that "we can get it right in Afghanistan" [my emphasis - MC].

But he condemned the treatment of injured British soldiers, who have been forced to share wards with civilians in Selly Oak hospital in Birmingham.

Sir Richard said he confronted Mr Browne about the "covenant" between a nation and its armed forces.

"I said to the Secretary of State the army wont let the nation down but I don’t want the nation to let the army down."

"It is not acceptable for our casualties to be in mixed wards with civilians. I was outraged at the story of someone saying ‘take your uniform off’. Our people need the privacy of recovering in a military environment - a soldier manning a machine gun in Basra loses consciousness when he is hit by a missile and next recovers consciousness in a hospital in the UK."

"He wants to wake up to familiar sights and sounds, he wants to see people in uniform. He doesn’t want to be in a civilian environment."

He added: "I am going to stand up for what is right for the army. Honesty is what it is about. The truth will out. We have got to speak the truth."

Shadow Defence Secretary Liam Fox said: "When I was in Iraq, soldiers told me the same thing."

"They said the reaction had gone from welcome, to consent to mere tolerance and they said that this meant we didn't have an indefinite licence to be there."

"To have one of our senior military figures speaking out on behalf of those under his commenad is a refreshing change."

"General Dannatt is completely right to say that it's a scandal ro have injured servicemen on mixed wards with civilians."

Liberal Democrat Foreign Affairs spokesman Michael Moore said: "This is the frankest assessment we have had about Iraq. It illustrates that the government has no clear strategy."

The party's defence spokesman Nick Harvey added: "This drives a coach and horses through the government's foreign policy."

The General makes a good point - it seems we've worn out our welcome in Iraq.  However, this is definitely a "falling on your sword" type of thing and is probably not going to be appreciated at Whitehall.

I suspect this most unusual step has been taken after exhausting all internal avenues.

While I agree with some points the General made, particularly with regard to the attack on British values by the Muslim minority. I greatly admire the British Army and RM, but the policy that the Brit's have pursued in Basra have been the subject of severe criticism by me.

The Brits made a deal with the pro-Iranian elements that essentially let the Sadr militia run the city without British interference. This deal was made to avoid casualties. This deal blew up last fall I think it was, when 2 British soldiers were captured by the pro-militia police and the Brits had to go in hard to rescue their men. Meanwhile British officers lectured us about how their methods were far better than the US approach in the Sunni triangle. Then they sent the Black Watch north during Falluja to help out. After IED attacks killed five troops the kinder gentler approach went by the way. You dont survive in the Triangle if you dont take it to the bad guys. Anyway lets say I am a bit disappointed with the senior leadership of the British Army in Iraq and now Afghanistan.

Here is the CBC.ca link:

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2006/10/12/dannatt-blair.html

Very interesting. I'm sure that this is the very last thing that Blair was hoping for: it will be very difficult to explain away what the CGS has to say. Blair's political enemies will be all over this. But although I am a great fan of forthright military leaders (a la Gen Hillier), I think that Gen Dannat may actually have gone too far here: he appears to be undermining the Govt. The best place to challenge the government like this is probably in private first. Then, if one really believes that he has done his very best to change an intolerably bad situation, but has failed, one could go public and then resign. I don't think there is a place for a CDS/CGS who loses that argument, if he really believes he is right and the Govt is so utterly wrong. The trust is gone.

Interesting to note that this pessimistic assessment of Iraq is somewhat in the same vein as that of the Comd of ISAF, another UK general. While not urginmg withdrawal, IIRC he has been very blunt about the current situation and the chances of success if the expectations of the Afghan people are not met soon. Brit generals seem to be more prepared to make these sort of sober, "less than gung-ho" assessments, than perhaps their US or Cdn peers might be. Although, I recall seeing coverage of Gens Pace and Abizaid testifying recently in front of Congress (?) and making some pretty frank comments about the situation in Iraq.

Cheers

I would place bets he's gone by Monday...

GAP said:
I would place bets he's gone by Monday...

Knew a Brit who said the old slang was "being awarded the DCM ... Don't Come Monday"

(as opposed to the Distinguished Conduct Medal)

While it is good to make a frank assessment and give your views, soldiers in Western nations are ultimately subordinate to the government of the day. The General could/should say his piece in a private briefing, and if he felt strongly enough then hand in his resignation to say it again in public.

Tomahawk6 - sooner or later you are going to have to try amd make friends with somebody. Or else kill them all.  Machiavelli has his uses as well.  Unfortunately his way takes time and bad things happen along the way.

As to the General speaking out and being fired, speaking out and resigning or resigning and speaking out - 6 and half a dozen.  There have been rumours for a couple of weeks that the Army has been calling to move all its chips to Afghanistan.  Coupled with the politicians claiming that 16 Bde would go in and not fire a shot, then denying ISAF a QRF because of a fit of pique when the other NATO types wouldn't ante up I think the Army has just about run out of patience.  (We don't need to go into equipment shortages and Regimental realignment).

Behold a phenomenon only rarely seen in the CF: an officer to whom Truth is not what he thinks the boss wants to hear, Duty is not to himself, and Valour is more than a risk to the other two.

Any bets on Gen Dannatt being rewarded with the Brit equivalent of being made an ambassador, deputy minister, head of an international commission, or $1,000 a day consultant when he retires? 

Update: The General clarifies but does not retract.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2402604,00.html

Brit military support him
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2402666,00.html

on web forum, ARRSE.
http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=48836.html

Mark
Ottawa

Kirkhill said:
Tomahawk6 - sooner or later you are going to have to try amd make friends with somebody. Or else kill them all.  Machiavelli has his uses as well.  Unfortunately his way takes time and bad things happen along the way.

As to the General speaking out and being fired, speaking out and resigning or resigning and speaking out - 6 and half a dozen.  There have been rumours for a couple of weeks that the Army has been calling to move all its chips to Afghanistan.  Coupled with the politicians claiming that 16 Bde would go in and not fire a shot, then denying ISAF a QRF because of a fit of pique when the other NATO types wouldn't ante up I think the Army has just about run out of patience.  (We don't need to go into equipment shortages and Regimental realignment).

How do you make friends with terrorists without sacrificing your beliefs ? Any deal that allows anti-government forces to flourish is a loss for our efforts to stablize Afghanistan. Besides its not up to a NATO commander to cut a side deal with the enemy, it is the province of the Karzai government.

tomahawk6 said:
How do you make friends with terrorists without sacrificing your beliefs ? Any deal that allows anti-government forces to flourish is a loss for our efforts to stablize Afghanistan. Besides its not up to a NATO commander to cut a side deal with the enemy, it is the province of the Karzai government.

Whoa, since when did the Shi'ites of Basra become terrorists?

Well, the ARRSE thread reflects discussions I've had with serving British officers and with Canadians who have served in Iraq (including my brother).  Generally, my impression is that the British Army feels it was sold a bill of goods in Iraq and that American policy there has been disasterously wrong from the outset (or, at least, from the post-invasion phase).  Moreover, there have been accusations within the UK that the "brass" (a term I despise, but it will suffice) has failed to stand up for the Army recently, particularly in light of misplaced civilian prosecutions for use of force in operational theatres, irrational lawsuits from Iraqi "civilians", human rights complaints, cutbacks and amalgamation - on and on.

It is a feeling that I find I share: I'm hardly prone to anti-Americanism, but I feel pretty strongly that the US has made grievous tactical and strategic errors in Iraq from the outset that have exacerbated the global problem.  The Brits feel that they've been merely along for the ride and that their advice (remembering that they occupied Iraq for many years) has been discounted or deliberately ignored - and I've heard this from a variety of sources at a variety of rank levels.

While I may not agree with Dannatt's speaking out while serving (a very public resignation followed by a diatribe in the press would be the normal route), I find it very hard to disagree with what he's saying.  Judging by the initial reaction, his soldiers feel the same way, which may be all that counts in his mind.

Flame away...

Teddy

TR...I keep having the same feeling about Iraq that I (and most others had) of V.N.. It is largely being dictated to by the White House and their political mandate. The 1990 Gulf War was successful until stopped simply because the politicians handed it over to the generals and stood back ( if only so that they wouldn't get splashed if something fell into the doo-doo). The Second Gulf War was successful until "victory" was achieved, and then little fingers started dabbling where they did not belong.

If the US wants any semblence of success in Iraq, they need to rethink their approach, if it is not too late, which I happen to think it is.

GAP: that's my feeling too.  +1

It may well be too late to attain any rational political goals, particularly the naive and utopian ones presented by the White House.  The question is:  what to do next?

For the British, increasingly engaged in Afghanistan, the question becomes one of focus.  If you believe, as I do (and as apparently the CGS does) that Iraq has diverted resources from the "real" fight, the answer becomes quite clear.  The UK is operating on a shoe-string in Helmand, partially because they have so much invested in S. Iraq, to little or no end.  If I've read Gen Dannatt correctly, he's arguing that over time, British resources need to be focused where they can have the most impact on terrorism and on a theatre that is winnable.

tomahawk6 said:

The short answer to the beliefs part of your statement is that your beliefs are your beliefs.  The other guy has his beliefs as well.  Mutually you can stand on principle and slaughter each other all day every day.  Or you can say Insh'Allah and find a pragmatic compromise. Me, a Presbyterian, I ended up marrying a Catholic (and a Liberal - She is coming around on the Liberal side of things but she is still a Catholic).

Despite the existence of Muslim fanatics I choose to believe that most Muslims, like most Christians I know and most of every other type of person I have met, most of the time are apathetic compromisers that pragmatically want a quiet life.  They will get aroused when they are brought face to face with a rabble rouser at the mosque.  They may even donate to the cause through tithes, alms, taxes or charitable donations.  But few will actually take the road of Jihad - unless it gets personal.  Even us Brits didn't get too exercised about WW2 until 1940 when Germany started killing Brits in France and then in London.  You lot felt the same until December 7th, 1941 and September 11th, 2001.

America may have been built on principle, although I find most Americans to be pretty pragmatic in daily life. Britain pretty much foreswore principle in favour of pragmatism in its institutions. In the interest of the peace that permits prosperity the abiding domestic principle is that no (or very few) cause is worth disrupting the public peace.  Better to have a show of hands, accept the rule of the majority and get on with life.  You can be right and dead.  That doesn't help the kids and pay the bills and those are the driving interests of most people.

That is the problem I have with our own Liberals, NDPers, Activists and Supreme Court judges.  They all seem to think that there are right answers to every question.  There may be. Trouble is nobody can agree on what those are.  Perhaps that is why these groups gain their grass-roots support overwhelmingly from the young and the well-heeled.  Their bills are paid and most of them don't have kids to worry about. I am talking about rank-and-file here. The Liberal leadership understands pragmatism to a fault.

By all means slaughter those that are attacking you as the Brit commanders did.  But is doesn't hurt to stop from time to time, as one of them did, and say "had enough yet? We can keep this up for a long, long time." Or invite some members of the attackers to break off, to go home, to come over.  Or to invite the locals to take control of their own situation and demonstrate that you will allow them to show themselves worthy of trust.  Yes, that entails risk - more bodies or retaking old ground.  But those are unavoidable risks.  If those risks weren't involved then the job would be left to CIDA and the diplomats and there would be no need for the soldiers.  Putting on the uniform is not about killing.  It is about taking the risk of dying.  Killing is what is done to reduce that risk, although not always the personal risk.

Sooner or later a deal has to be made.

You are quite right it is not up to the local NATO commander to make that deal. It is up to the government of the day, Karzai's government.  But it was Karzai's government that opted for the platoon house strategy to demonstrate presence.  It is Karzai's government that has an amnesty programme for the Taliban to wean the support from the leadership.  It is Karzai's government that has willingly turned a blind eye to crime and injustice in order to reduce the temperature and allow discussion to occur.  The pragmatic over the principled.   Stop the killing long enough to debate the principles and then decide whether those principles justify standing on ceremony and reverting to the gun.

Personally I think Karzai is doing about as good a job as can be expected under the circumstances.  The jury is still out on his fellow pragmatist next door in Islamabad.  While Karzai is pragmatically inclined to work with "Us" Musharraf seem pragmatically inclined to work against "Us".

Cheers sir.  :)

Teddy Ruxpin said:
Well, the ARRSE thread reflects discussions I've had with serving British officers and with Canadians who have served in Iraq (including my brother).  Generally, my impression is that the British Army feels it was sold a bill of goods in Iraq and that American policy there has been disasterously wrong from the outset (or, at least, from the post-invasion phase).  Moreover, there have been accusations within the UK that the "brass" (a term I despise, but it will suffice) has failed to stand up for the Army recently, particularly in light of misplaced civilian prosecutions for use of force in operational theatres, irrational lawsuits from Iraqi "civilians", human rights complaints, cutbacks and amalgamation - on and on.

It is a feeling that I find I share: I'm hardly prone to anti-Americanism, but I feel pretty strongly that the US has made grievous tactical and strategic errors in Iraq from the outset that have exacerbated the global problem.  The Brits feel that they've been merely along for the ride and that their advice (remembering that they occupied Iraq for many years) has been discounted or deliberately ignored - and I've heard this from a variety of sources at a variety of rank levels.

While I may not agree with Dannatt's speaking out while serving (a very public resignation followed by a diatribe in the press would be the normal route), I find it very hard to disagree with what he's saying.  Judging by the initial reaction, his soldiers feel the same way, which may be all that counts in his mind.

Flame away...

Teddy

I am a bit pressed for time at the moment but I will respond later this evening. Great topic.

After reading ARRSE I am bothered about one thing here.

The General may consider the Army his constituency but it is not his Army. It is the Government's Army (not Her Majesty's although everybody owes Her their primary allegiance).

When some of the troops start saying that they have to stand behind the General, even if he is fired, that has to be managed very carefully.  It can quickly move towards "incitement to mutiny".  Even mass resignations could be seen in that light.

From CBC.ca. Shared under the Fair Dealings Provisions of the Copyright Act, RSC.

My emphasis added....

British army chief clarifies controversial remarks on Iraq
Last Updated: Friday, October 13, 2006 | 10:39 AM ET
CBC News

Britain's army chief, who made headlines by saying British troops should get out of Iraq soon, said Friday his comments were misunderstood and that he's not in conflict with the government.

Gen. Sir Richard Dannatt gave a series of media interviews after earlier comments he made, published Thursday on a British newspaper website, stirred controversy overnight, landing on the front page of British newspapers.

Dannatt told The Daily Mail that Britain's Iraq policies were "naive" and the British military should "get ourselves out sometime soon because our presence exacerbates the security problems."

On Friday, Dannatt said he meant British troops should take part in a phased withdrawal over two or three years.

"We'll probably reduce our soldiers over the course of the next year or two or three — let's wait and see. That's what I mean by sometime soon," Dannatt said in an interview with Sky News.

He repeated that to BBC Radio, adding that his views were not at odds with British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who has seen a drop in popularity over his Labour government's position on Iraq.

"It was never my intention to have this hoo-ha which people have thoroughly enjoyed overnight in trying to suggest there is a chasm between myself as head of the army and the prime minister, or between myself as head of the army and the secretary of state for defence," he said.

Remainder of article at This Link. Read the whole link farther down you'll see "The (Daily Mail) newspaper declined to release a full text of the (original) interview....".My parenthesis added for clarity..

Hmm... senior soldier misquoted by press.... now that's never happened before has it!

Should I now say..."Tinfoil anyone??"

Back