• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alternate for the CIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which not all corps have the luxury of having (special circumstances, and a NCdt can be the CO). Or if there is only one commissioned office, they may not have the staff to apprentice.

Many corps aren‘t fully staffed, it‘s hard to be an apprentice when there‘s no one around to learn from.

CH

What I‘m talking about is a near perfect world, but it is not a completely un do able suggestion.
OCdt for 3 years and attend the Current crses
or 1 year with 1 full summer of Basic Officer Training. Those would be more acceptable options, but then again these may have to be compromised to keep Corps up and running. However, I believe it maybe a good start state. I have to get a job with the directorate of Cadets

What BOTC would they take? Clearly it should be designed for them to be CIC Officers (as great as a PRes BOTC would be, I‘m not entirely sure of it‘s usefullness), but a full summer?

Many junior officers begin their first summers working at a CSTC, filling the role as DivO (or other various junior positions). I could see THAT being an "OJT", as they have senior officers supervising them.

OCdt for 3 years is fairly rediculous. Most CURRENT CIC officers entering the system are more than prepared for their roles, and if not, they get prepared by the BOQ.

I know a NCdt who just came off the course. She was a cadet for 7 years, and rolled over to become a NCdt. She did the course, and still had to study incredibly hard to do well. She said that some of the candidates on the course broke down in tears because thye couldn‘t handle the stress of the course. It‘s a LOT of information to be crammed into 10 days. Should it be extended? Perhaps. Can we really be choosy? Not really.

I don‘t think we‘ll see full summer training courses available to the CIC (The longest course I know of, at least on the Sea Side, is the Tender Charge Course, and I‘m not even entirely sure of it‘s length). Too many junior officers would be lost, and camps may face a staffing problem. They learn the most at camp anyway, and redieve the most guidance.

And to add to ALL that, just don‘t forget the Ma and Pa operations. Yes, they should have to meet the same standards (and they do). But think about their motivation. You joined to serve your country...a lot of the ma/pa corps, they get conned into it because the corps wouldn‘t exist without them. If you‘re forcing these parents away from their homes during the summers, well, you‘ll lose a lot of quality people.

The system is far from perfect, but it‘s improving slowly. But I still don‘t necessarily think that 2 full summers is a good idea for CIC Officers.

CH

Colin, you do bring up some good points about the back woods cadet corps, and like I said changes would have to be tempered with common sense. Would you shut down a corps because there was no one avail to take the training, absolutely not. A question I would have to ask: Why would the CIC not take a BOTC? They are officers in the CF, and if they are avail for summer employment then they should be avail for training. For those back fill positions those who cannot sign on to be an officer, there are the CI positions. BOQ, although I actually know a person who failed it, is pretty much a joke. So combine the limited training with only one year or less of experience which equals 0 credibility, regardless of the amount of potential the person has.

I just want to let you guys know what changes will actually take place with CIC Officers course in the next few years.

The new CIC training courses are in the final stages of being written and should be implemented within 2 years. The courses are the result a large MOC analysis of the CIC that took place 4 years ago. The result of that analysis was a realisation that the training received by CIC officers has no real relation to the task we ask them to perform either at their unit or at the CSTC.

The current training courses are actually rank qualification (Basic officer Qualification, Lieutenant Qualification and Captain Qualification, with either the MOC course or the Junior Officer Leadership course in between BOQ and LTQ). LTQ qualifies you to be the Training Officer of your unit, while the CQ qualifies you to be the CO of a unit.

The reality of things is that a lot of Ocdts are actually Training officers, and that many 2Lt and Lt are unit CO‘s.

The new training courses are qualifications for specific tasks. After their Basic Qualification course, the officers will be able to go on courses according to their function at their unit :

• Environmental specialization
  • Training Officer course
  • Admin Officer course
  • Supply Officer course
  • Adventure training courses (rappel, orienteering, canoe, etc...)

There is also a Platoon/Flight Commander course for employment at a CSTC. Those courses will be the first one implemented but more are being planned, especially for CSTC functions.

An officer will actually be able to receive training specifically for a function that he will occupy, either at his local unit or at a CSTC. Not everyone will have to take the same courses. I don‘t know exactly how the promotion system will work however.

By the way, the five Regional Cadet Instructor School will be merged in one National School with five regional "branches". That change should be effective in September 2005.

Hope this helps.

Good to see that the system is going in the right direction for once.

Regards

3005_MWO: If you think that CIC officers shouldn‘t have to wait 2 years for a commission, or have a degree, or have a certain level of training, then don‘t be surprised that they get no respect from the Reserves or the Reg Force.

Combat Medic....
TARGET,TARGET STOP....next target right :D

I think you got ‘im.
TN_2002_ej_Shea_044.JPG

Regards

Originally posted by combat_medic:
[qb] 3005_MWO: If you think that CIC officers shouldn‘t have to wait 2 years for a commission, or have a degree, or have a certain level of training, then don‘t be surprised that they get no respect from the Reserves or the Reg Force. [/qb]
I think it should be along the lines as a Reserve Officer (which is what CIC Officers ARE). I‘d expect that someone would be able to judhe how much they‘d respect someone based on their ability, not on a piece of paper. But really, that‘s just me, I suppose.

Out here, the CIC seems to get quite a bit of respect. The Admiral is VERY pro-cadet, and comes down hard on anyone out here who shows a level of disrespect towards the movement.

They do take courses to become qualified, and they have to pass them (regardless of how ‘easy‘ it would seem to you). So yes, I expect them to have a certain level of training.

They are trained with relevent information, as opposed to information they won‘t use. If you were to treat them as members of the PRes, I‘d be demanding the same standards all around. $2000 off education every year, that‘ll be expensive considering the amount of CIC Officers doing Post-Secondary of some description. Apparently many PRes Officers are guaranteed summer employment (being trained, or otherwise)...not for the CIC, they are competing for few spots, and are sometimes left with nothing. It‘d be an expensive move to make them ‘the same‘.

Their training is relevent to them. You‘re right, they won‘t be the first to go to battle, and pretend to know how to drive a warship....and they won‘t even pretend to know how. Just like I‘d assume that you wouldn‘t walk into a cadet unit, and just assume you know how to work with youth, and the intricacies of the system.

So if you hold this little respect for them, why should they hold any respect for you?

I hold little respect for them because they aren‘t held up to any standard, other than the couple weekends of training that any trained monkey could pass.

As for myself, I don‘t expect respect from anyone. I EARN it (heaven forbid).

BTW, I did walk into a cadet unit and a cadet camp for an entire summer, and figured out your so-called "intricacies" in about 10 minutes. Also, if they were held to the same standard as the Reserve;

1. They wouldn‘t be eligible for tuition reimbursement as they would require a post secondary degree before even applying.
2. There would be SIGNIFICANTLY less CIC officers, as the majority would not pass the written test, physical, medical, background checks and interview. Not to mention being required to pass all the courses.
3. No officer outside the reg force is guaranteed employment.
4. They may be trained with "relevant information" as far as you and the cadet world are concerned, but learning to write a memo, do BASIC drill, and not sexually harass children does not make them contributing members of the CF, nor make them worthy of a commission, in my humble opinion.

But, despite all this, the CIC will continue to amble along on its merry way, expecting to command the respect of CF members, when all they are is boy scout leaders with a bar on their shoulders.

Have I mentioned yet that respect needs to be earned?

4. They may be trained with "relevant information" as far as you and the cadet world are concerned, but learning to write a memo, do BASIC drill, and not sexually harass children does not make them contributing members of the CF, nor make them worthy of a commission, in my humble opinion.
Hooah

Originally posted by combat_medic:
[qb] I hold little respect for them because they aren‘t held up to any standard, other than the couple weekends of training that any trained monkey could pass.

As for myself, I don‘t expect respect from anyone. I EARN it (heaven forbid).

BTW, I did walk into a cadet unit and a cadet camp for an entire summer, and figured out your so-called "intricacies" in about 10 minutes. Also, if they were held to the same standard as the Reserve;

1. They wouldn‘t be eligible for tuition reimbursement as they would require a post secondary degree before even applying.
2. There would be SIGNIFICANTLY less CIC officers, as the majority would not pass the written test, physical, medical, background checks and interview. Not to mention being required to pass all the courses.
3. No officer outside the reg force is guaranteed employment.

But, despite all this, the CIC will continue to amble along on its merry way, expecting to command the respect of CF members, when all they are is boy scout leaders with a bar on their shoulders.

Have I mentioned yet that respect needs to be earned? [/qb]
Of course, respect should be earned by the individual. You‘re belittling an entire component of the CF. HUGE difference.

But let‘s go over your points:

1. I called up CFRC, and as long as I have a University Acceptence in my hand, I can start the enrollment process (as an officer), and be given $2000/year towards tuition. Ergo, any CIC Officer attending university (as I said in my post) would be eligable, if they were to be held to the same standard.

2. Um, incase you didn‘t know they have to have an interview, conducted at CFRC and all that good stuff. Background check? Of course! Apparently, when you work with minors, parents like to be assured that the guys in charge have a background check done.

I live with someone who processes CIC applications for a living, and she confirms it all :) Apparently there‘s some part that contains some writing now.

As for the physical portion, they have to be in decent health (although I suppose that‘s subjective, and people let themselves go occassionally). But again I go back to the pool of these recruits, and the amount of it in their job.

3. My mistake. But it would seem that there is a higher percentage of reservists on course during the summer than CIC Employment.

4. I don‘t even know how to respond to this comment. I don‘t know whether you didn‘t research RCIS or what....I haven‘t quite figured it out yet. Go research all the courses, the course material they need to know (and APPLY right away, with no time to really OJT), and the time in which they learn it. And then go back, and think AGAIN who some of these people are. I‘m just shocked by the level of disrespect, and what looks like ignorance (Maybe it isn‘t) towards an entire branch of the forces.

As for you figuring out the intricacies in about 10 minutes, well, I commend you. You must be far more intelligent than, well most everyone in the system. I know people who have worked at HQ a good 20 years, and still have new issues pop up. I very much doubt that you understand the cadet system to it‘s fullest. Seeing how things run, and knowing how the entire system, it‘s funding, it‘s supply, admin, camp selection, working with HQ, etc, well, takes most people a good 10 years.

As for the physical portion, they have to be in decent health (although I suppose that‘s subjective, and people let themselves go occassionally). But again I go back to the pool of these recruits, and the amount of it in their job.
If you‘ve seen the CIC‘s I have, you would know that fitness is a non-factor.

4. I don‘t even know how to respond to this comment. I don‘t know whether you didn‘t research RCIS or what....I haven‘t quite figured it out yet. Go research all the courses, the course material they need to know (and APPLY right away, with no time to really OJT), and the time in which they learn it. And then go back, and think AGAIN who some of these people are. I‘m just shocked by the level of disrespect, and what looks like ignorance (Maybe it isn‘t) towards an entire branch of the forces.
Disrespect is also something that is earned.

As I said, they have to be in decent health (not stupendous, as we have ALL witnessed).

An entire branch of the forces didn‘t ‘earn‘ disrespect. And if you feel they do, they start writing a letter to the Admiral out here in MARPAC.

As I said, they have to be in decent health
No, they don‘t. Some CIC‘s are so fat that they are a physical embarrasment to the uniform.

Originally posted by Infanteer:
[qb]
As I said, they have to be in decent health
No, they don‘t. Some CIC‘s are so fat that they are a physical embarrasment to the uniform. [/qb]
From the CIC Officers I‘ve seen, the ones you speak of tend to be the old Captains who have been around a long time, who entered when standards weren‘t really enforced (afterall, they got paid less than reservists, so why have anything the same?).

Most new CIC Officers, and the younger ones, tend to be in decent shape.

I see a bunch of overwight Captains in the CIC, but by the same token, I see a bunch of overweight senior NCM‘s and Chief‘s walking around...

People get out of shape.

CH

well said 3005_MWO.He must have had a bad Summer working at a Cadet Camp...

But remember about 1/2 of the CIC are Ret Reg force and PRes taking their commissions. There are well over 8000 CIC officers out there thats alot to hate...

From the CIC Officers I‘ve seen, the ones you speak of tend to be the old Captains who have been around a long time, who entered when standards weren‘t really enforced (afterall, they got paid less than reservists, so why have anything the same?).

Most new CIC Officers, and the younger ones, tend to be in decent shape.
No, I‘m talking about the young, fat female CIC in my unit that had the swiss seat disappear on a rappelling exercise.

Or maybe I‘m talking about the too beached whales that tried to take over the TV room in the shacks from troops who were living there. They shut up pretty quick when our real officers showed up and told them to piss off.

These are just examples of the sorry state I see in many CIC‘s...and they are not old or prior service people either.

I see a bunch of overwight Captains in the CIC, but by the same token, I see a bunch of overweight senior NCM‘s and Chief‘s walking around...

People get out of shape.
Your right, and the fact that they are in the military makes it inexcusable. They should be put on the launch pad as well.

well said 3005_MWO.He must have had a bad Summer working at a Cadet Camp...
No, never worked for the Cadets before. I just don‘t like seeing the military being treated as a kiddie organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back