• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Year In, And Frustrated

toyotatundra said:
It's late and I'm tired. But you guys have given me a lot to think about.
My opinion, take it or leave it, is that you were deemed unfit for a leadership role, but you were given the opportunity to earn a leadership position through proving them you are fit for it. I don't believe a person is given a particularly good opportunity to prove or disprove this within one year, as you're still learning your trade, but if it's something you really want, go for it. If not, leave.

If your CFRC and your reserve unit think you're unfit, chances are you may be unfit.

Brihard said:
I'm an infantry section commander.....
I've avoided commenting in this thread, primarily because toyotatundra very wisely (as he's stated repeatedly that he is) chose to tick the "no ridicule" option.

The response by Brihard however, is one of the most well thought-out and expressed that I've read on this site.

Thank you.

toyotatundra said:
Sure i seek authority and status.

I am an officer of some experience who, like you, started as an NCM in a reserve unit, and so I have some understanding of both your situation and the larger questions about leadership etc that have permeated your posts to date.

If authority and status are what drive you, keep on driving by please.  Your motives will inevitably taint your thoughts, words and deeds.

However, if it is responsibility that you crave, come on in.  You have the right mindset to become a good leader.

It is a mark of both wisdom and experience (both of which you claim to have in abundance) to be able to discern the difference between authority and responsibility.  Yes, the former in some ways defines the latter, but as a motive, the yearning for responsibility is what sets a leader apart form his rank, authority, or status.

Just a thought.

Journeyman said:
I've avoided commenting in this thread, primarily because toyotatundra very wisely (as he's stated repeatedly that he is) chose to tick the "no ridicule" option.

The response by Brihard however, is one of the most well thought-out and expressed that I've read on this site.

Thank you.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Journeyman said:

Thank you.

Yes, his response was quite extensive. I appreciate the generosity of so many people here. They have given up their time to share their experience and advice.

Brihard said:
The inherent value of the degree? Not a whole hell of a lot. A degree teaches you how to find and read sources, take information from them, and turn it into a readable product summarizing and expounding on a typically rather specific thesis as a subset of that field of knowledge. Obviously professional degrees differ.

If only this were true.  I have had to assess aspiring officers on products that they have produced in the form of written reports.  Their writing skills and use of logic have in many cases been lacking.  Their ability to write a clear, concise report in most cases are far from acceptable.  They have to be supervised, reeducated, and constantly corrected.  Their Degrees, in my opinion, are not worth the paper they are printed on as we have to completely retrain them and failing that we may have to recommend RELEASE or another Trade. 

Nauticus said:
My opinion, take it or leave it, is that you were deemed unfit for a leadership role, but you were given the opportunity to earn a leadership position through proving them you are fit for it. I don't believe a person is given a particularly good opportunity to prove or disprove this within one year, as you're still learning your trade, but if it's something you really want, go for it. If not, leave.

If your CFRC and your reserve unit think you're unfit, chances are you may be unfit.

You know, I'm definitely starting to see the situation from their perspective. I had a very troubled youth. There are reasons why the recruiting officer was hesitant. There are reasons why the unit wants to test me out first.

I have devoted a good deal of my energy to achieving high status. When my goal should really be achieving high performance.

The cup is already nine tenths full. I have been given the honor and the privilege of serving in the Canadian Forces. There are many well educated people serving as NCMs. I have  the opportunity to prove myself.

A leadership role in the Canadian Forces is not a constitutional right. It has to be earned.

toyotatundra said:
You know, I'm definitely starting to see the situation from their perspective. I had a very troubled youth. There are reasons why the recruiting officer was hesitant. There are reasons why the unit wants to test me out first.

I have devoted a good deal of my energy to achieving high status. When my goal should really be achieving high performance.

The cup is already nine tenths full. I have been given the honor and the privilege of serving in the Canadian Forces. There are many well educated people serving as NCMs. I have  the opportunity to prove myself.

A leadership role in the Canadian Forces is not a constitutional right. It has to be earned.

Maybe, just maybe, you're finally starting to get it.

Good on you and good luck.

Nice to see your latest responses rather than this BULLSHIT

Thanks and good luck to you

Maybe, just maybe, you're finally starting to get it.

I started drawing up a list of all the NCMs at my unit currently at university, or already graduated. Just among the people I know, there's easily 10 or 15. I've created this fantasy of being so hard done by. The evidence from my unit suggests otherwise.

I also sat down and looked at my university performance. Looked at my drug use. My employment history.

I realize now, the officers in question made the right call.

toyotatundra said:
I started drawing up a list of all the NCMs at my unit currently at university, or already graduated. Just among the people I know, there's easily 10 or 15. I've created this fantasy of being so hard done by. The evidence from my unit suggests otherwise.

I also sat down and looked at my university performance. Looked at my drug use. My employment history.

I realize now, the officers in question made the right call.

At some point in the future you will likely credit this realization for much of the success you have by then achieved. Part of the beauty of the military is that when all is said and done, there is a lot of room for a career to be propelled by merit, and self awareness is a great step in that direction.

Best of luck to you. It's a long road ahead of you, but well worth travelling.

Dude, let's just say that you were putting across your former attitude to them...then yes, no sense in calling your number. However, given that little tramp on the dink, you might find yourself winning favours if you can keep this new outlook up and grow from it.

I often avoid recruiting forums and more often avoid replying...but I wish you luck. If you're serious and mean what you say then you can only go one direction. You might not get the call you want but you'll display the growth and that will be worth a load.

Brihard says "merit" and this turn in thinking shows and deserves some, IMO. Keep it up

Scott said:
If you're serious and mean what you say

Yeah, I think I had what they call a "light bulb moment".

Not only should I stop fretting about becoming an officer. I shouldn't even be thinking about becoming a sergeant or warrant.

For the next several years, I reckon the two questions I need to focus on are,

What is the next course I need to take?
On this course, how do I kick some serious ass?

toyotatundra said:
Yeah, I think I had what they call a "light bulb moment".

Not only should I stop fretting about becoming an officer. I shouldn't even be thinking about becoming a sergeant or warrant.

For the next several years, I reckon the two questions I need to focus on are,

What is the next course I need to take?
On this course, how do I kick some serious ***?

That sounds like a pretty good approach.  Do your job, do it well, and you'll progress accordingly.  As someone who had to prove a lot of people wrong to get to where I am in life now, I can tell you it is possible.

toyotatundra said:
There should be no "red flags". There should be no "we don't want you but have to take you".

For as long as I can remember (which is a few years now), the CF has never been in a situation where we had to take anyone.  Enrolment has always been competitive and there have always been waiting lists.  The fact that you were enrolled at all is an accomplishment unto itself.  Somebody must have seen something in you, so take that to heart (and don't let them down).  I've followed this thread from the beginning and I'm pleased to see a significant shift in attitude.  I think you are now on the right track, so carpe diem, concentrate on being a member of a pretty awesome team  and move forward.  I think that as a whole, the CF is pretty good at giving second chances.  You have an opportunity in front of you.  Good luck.

I thought  I would throw in my two cents, as irrelevant as it may now be.

I am somewhat confused by your seeming complete lack of respect for the NCM position, valuable leadership opportunities abound, with them comes the opportunity to distinguish yourself. Perhaps it is your feelings of hopelessness and superiority that are holding you back from acceptance as an Officer. In addition to that, from what I have gathered, you have only been in for a year...which is a little soon to be expecting a whole bunch back from the CF.

Granted, all this is coming from someone who knows little about the workings of the CF, and is readily willing to admit his lack thereof. Maybe realizing there are more qualified candidates, and working to make yourself a more attractive one would be a good start. From people that I have talked to, many units are screaming for Jr. Officers.

And now I sheepishly admit I didn't read the 3rd page. OOPS ::)

Regards

dave.jones3 said:
I am somewhat confused by your seeming complete lack of respect for the NCM position

No, no. I have huge respect for many of the NCMs I have met. In particular, for several of the NCMs at my unit who are Afghan veterans. I am not aiming to be an officer because I dislike NCMs. I am aiming to be an officer because I prefer intellectual or written tasks to practical ones.

From people that I have talked to, many units are screaming for Jr. Officers.

Army units? Reserve or Regular Force?

And who have you talked to? Like other privates, senior NCMs?

And now I sheepishly admit I didn't read the 3rd page. OOPS ::)

Haha, too funny.

Back