• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Would you get a surplus MLVW?

scas said:
It's not a high RPM engine.. Its maxed for 3800 RPM.

Detroit Screamin' Demon.. that's all.. LoL. 3800 RPM is pretty low.

ton_ami69 said:
As the MLVW trucks are finally seeing public hands,  would any of you like to get your hands on any of these trucks?  Are they better/worse than the US M35 trucks? 

I have a lot of experience with the US M35s and I'll take one of those over an ML any day of the week.  The M35A2 is basically bulletproof mechanically, and there are literally thousands of parts around for them both used and new - plus they drive like a big pickup truck as long as you're not forced to do something low-speed like...parallel park...as it has no power steering.  Most of the time it's not a problem (and there are after-market add-on power-steering kits available), and for a big six-wheel drive truck, it has a pretty good turning-circle.  US trucks are all five-speed manual transmissions with a two-speed transfer case, unless you get the modded/rebuilt ones which have a different looking front end, an Allison automatic, and a Cat diesel (M35A3)

There are several different versions of the US M35 if you're ever out shopping, but the best one to get is the M35A2C, which is the one with the 'dropsides' cargo box (units without the 'C' are fixed-sided.)  The "A2" means it has the LDT-465-1C or D turbocharged engine vs. the naturally-aspirated one in the -A1 model trucks (look at the exhaust stack -- larger diameter means the truck is the turbo model), and while I'd say the turbo doesn't give you a great deal more power IMO -- it sure does clean up the exhaust vs. the N/A type.  Hard cabs or soft tops are available all over the place (Canada's GMA back east made the last batch of soft tops and cargo covers for the U.S. trucks), as are new seats, wipers, lights, reflectors, seatbelts and everything else.  Also, the sheet metal on the U.S. trucks is of superior quality/thickness compared to the Canadian ones, and as long as the trucks haven't been stored for a million years on...Adak...or something, you rarely, rarely see any rust.

One difference some people might care about is that the US trucks are the 10-wheel configuration (duals on the back) vs. the way we do things, but it is possible to single the U.S. trucks up and use ML-type wheels and tires.  It's really hard to go wrong with the US trucks.  They built that body style with very few changes all the way from 1953 through 1989 or thereabouts, and like the saying goes - "if it ain't broke, don't f- with it."

Another good mod to look for on the U.S. trucks is the air-operated front axle lockout switch on the dash just below the dashpack.  Earlier models used a sprag-type system which was supposed to automatically engage the front axle during a slip condition if you were in First or Reverse, but those sprags were troublesome and required adjustment more often than was being done.  The air shift allows you to toggle the front axle IN or OUT as desired when you need it.  Even the most recent trucks being surplused down south there seem to have a random mix of the sprag and air-switch types when released in large lots, so obviously it wasn't a mandatory mod.  Two styles of parking-brake are in use too -- one the common 'over-center' type like in the LS etc., and the other a ratchet-handle type which is invariably seized rock solid.

I love driving those things.  There's considerable variation between individual vehicles, and I've been in some of the turbo ones that just fly up hills and just sort of have a level of performance you wouldn't expect from something like that.  But I've driven some real pooches too.  :(

Hi
I am new to site, am retired EME who collects military vehicles. On 15 Nov I purchased an MLVW w/Hiab MRT that was released from DND. The military is starting to get rid of old MLVW.  For more info e-mail me.

All the MLVWs that came up for sale on ICAN have been "for scrap".  Does that mean you cannot put these trucks on the road? 

Hello
The MLVW that I purchased is in good to very good condition and the vendor will be getting me the registration.  The truck will easily be safety and licenced for the road.  I have restored and plated many older military vehicles.  I was the first person to safety and road register the Iltis jeeps in Quebec, i told the others how to do it.  The main problem with registering the vehicle is the provincial safety.
To safety the vehicle it has to be mechanically safe and we have to install clearance lights around the box/front/rear, it is very easy to do.
Parts for the MLVW are easy to get(not in the QM) most parts are standard off the shelf items that can be procured at local big truck shops.  In our collection we have 3 Iltis, 2 x M135 2 1/2 ton trucks, 1 x 3/4 M37, 1 x 143  3/4 ton ambulance, and recently we purchased from the US 1 x M35 and 1 x M109  2 1/2 ton trucks.  All of these trucks have passed safety and are registered.

Gilles

Hi,

From Québec, I just bout a MLVW with the M104 trailer, just to tell you , don't get fool....I will be very difficult to plate them as the army Add for parts only on the bill of sale. I don't know for the rest of the Canada, but here in Québec you will not be able to put them on the road!  As of today I will buy a U.S. M35 for parts with the title and made the switch to be able to put my beauty on the road.

Thank's

P.S. The Canadian variant of the M35 have over 1500 improvement over is U.S. cousins!  (as per Jane's magazine)

"P.S. The Canadian variant of the M35 have over 1500 improvement over is U.S. cousins! "

Depends on how you define 'improvements', I guess.  I'm sure they'll call the Detroit 'Fuel Pincher' engine an 'improvement' - likewise the Automatic Transmission and maybe even the single-wheel set up vs. the US M35A2's duals, but all of that's pretty subjective, IMO.

The ICAN trucks at Pet etc. were all sold off as parts only/residue not to be registered etc., but the HIABs that came up recently at Michener Allen in the prairies were apparently sold with no more registration drama than the Iltises, which were described as "never been registered", and must pass provincial safety etc.  I'm not really sure why the ICAN ones/ Off-Site Sales vehicles come with the "parts only" thing if they're being sold complete and titleable elsewhere, but...our government never ceases to amaze me.

As for me,

Just like the army, they remove all the starter and all the oil cooler from the truck sold in Québec, They were all for parts including the Hiab M36 and the one with the Pole digger!

soldierboy said:
As for me,

Just like the army, they remove all the starter and all the oil cooler from the truck sold in Québec, They were all for parts including the Hiab M36 and the one with the Pole digger!

That would be an auger on the Engineer MLVW SEV

I found a 5 ton starter that I had to change the Bendix gear from 11 to 12 teeth for the 8.2l Detroit and the oil cooler from a civil truck with a new gasket kit!

Vroum..vroum...

soldierboy said:

If the truck was sold for "parts" and "parts only" then it goes without saying that someone would remove the starter - making it impossible for someone to simply jump into the cab and drive it away.... without 1st having it inspected & blessed by the provincial transport department

In Québec, it's impossible to put them back on the road even with an inspection because they are declared as "Scrap" in the systems!

never say impossible... just very, very complicated
The Iltis were sold the same way.... and there are tons of them out there right now.
The vehicle must be inspeced by the Quebec Ministry of transport & declared roadworthy...

You are right,

The Iltis was brought on a lawsuit because they were not sold as "scap" and when people got to plate them they were refuse!
In this case the MLVW are clearely identified as "scap" "sold for parts only" The surplus who sold me the truck told me to wait a bit that the army release a bunch of them so people will go fight to be able to put them back on the road...we will see!!! My solution is to get a U.S. M35 frame with data plate and title and made the switch!

I don't know much about all this but couldn't you also do like some utility-trailers, call it a Home-made vehicle, get it inspected and declared road worthy?

No, because they got the serial number on the frame and they could not give you an homemade one over the old one.

I'm just at the biggining of the process...we will see!

I'm sorry, but it appears like you are planning on purchasing a different model from the states and switching the data plates (serial numbers) in order to get the previously identified 'scrap only' vehicle licensed under another title. This is the same thing that a lot of auto wreckers and such get charged over.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. If that is indeed what 'solution' you intend to use, I urge you to reconsider, as it could land you in a lot of hot water.
soldierboy said:
You are right,

The Iltis was brought on a lawsuit because they were not sold as "scap" and when people got to plate them they were refuse!
In this case the MLVW are clearely identified as "scap" "sold for parts only" The surplus who sold me the truck told me to wait a bit that the army release a bunch of them so people will go fight to be able to put them back on the road...we will see!!! My solution is to get a U.S. M35 frame with data plate and title and made the switch!

Yes, you are absolutely right, to be right you have to do like I plan to do and transfer all the Canadien part on the U.S. M35 frame (exactly identical to the Canadien one) The U.S. frame is considered as a vehicule when you cross the border, so that is considered as rebuilding the U.S. One! No gimmic in that, perfectly legal!

I would recommend that you save yourself some time and trouble & wait the little time it takes to get Transport Quebec to bless the transaction.
The MLVW is a sound truck & excluding the issue of seatbelts & possibly the air brakes, you should not have much of a problem with an Transport Quebec inspection centre. 

contact them - speak to someone who has been involved with licencing the iltis - and work from there ...

Okay, that's what I thought you meant, but I wanted to make sure. Good luck with you project, and as geo said, I would just wait until you can get the canadian one licensed with Transport Quebec.

Back