• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Would you get a surplus MLVW?

ton_ami69

Reaction score
As the MLVW trucks are finally seeing public hands,  would any of you like to get your hands on any of these trucks?  Are they better/worse than the US M35 trucks? 

[Edit:  No "h" in "Would".  ]

I personally wouldnt buy one. as I have no use for it....

but for a farm truck or logging or what not, they could be quite usefull.

Takes alot to kill one of those trucks. and they are still pretty good off road.if you can get one with a winch and even a crane, it would be a really handy truck for working in rough terrain, and out in the boonies.

downside is that its not well insulated, or very comfortable.

the MLVW is technically just a licensed version of the M35  "Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M35_2-1/2_ton_cargo_truck "

Would parts be hard to find?  Are parts interchangeable with the US m35?

Thanks for the replies.

ton_ami69 said:
Would parts be hard to find?  Are parts interchangeable with the US m35?

Thanks for the replies.

some yes, some no...

from Wiki:

Canadian Forces Land Force Command adopted license built versions of the M35 (and M36 variant) in 1982, built in Canada by Bombardier. As of 2008, the trucks, designated MLVW (Medium Logistics Vehicle, Wheeled) were still in service. Canadian vehicles featured an automatic transmission, six wheels instead of ten (but still with dual rear axles), and an ether-start for winter operations.

vs.

The M35A2 are Continental or Hercules LDT-465, in-line 6 cylinder, turbocharged multifuel engines with 134 bhp (100 kW) and 330 lb·ft (447 N·m) of torque. This is coupled with a 5-speed manual transmission and divorced 2-speed transfer case (Either a sprague-operated transfer case (Rockwell 136-21) or air-operated selectable transfer case (Rockwell 136-27).

different Transmissions, and engines. different wheels so different axles.

Until a SME can get on here and give you the rock solid answers for parts and the like, You should just read the article on wikipedia. it covers alot of the questions on systems and differences with the two trucks....

for parts, i think what alot of people do for surplus vehicles is buy a few trucks and use parts off them until you have one that works..... 

but Im getting a little too far out of my lanes on this one now.

The parts for the ML will be cheaper and easier than the M35 the Continental engine is not as common. Most of the body parts would require fabrication unless you got some NOS stuff from crown assets. I would get one, easier to fix up a fairly new vehicle and keep it running than doing a full rebuild of a deuce. Plus the diesel engine won't suck the gas as bad.

I was under the impression that the braking system on the MLVW was not legal for anyone but the CF, because the air over hydraulic system was prone to catastrophic failure.....

Anyone who has more or better information, I'd love to hear it, as I'm interested now too.

ToRN said:
I was under the impression that the braking system on the MLVW was not legal for anyone but the CF, because the air over hydraulic system was prone to catastrophic failure....

I have heard this as well, only that it wasn't due to the air over hydraulic, however due to the fact there was no "back up" per se.

I personally wouldn't want one, unless it was to be used for target practice, or to abuse on a farm.

ah yes, you are correct, that is how it was explained to me as well, that if there WERE a catastrophic failure, there is no reliable backup. (since the "emergency brake" /park brake won't hold the vehicle at more than a high idle)

EDIT for grammar

I too have heard that the brakes are bad due to the air over and the lack of a secondary (if you lose one brake, you lose all). As to the engine, its the GM/ Detroit Desiel Fuel Pincher 8.2L. As many know its a rugged engine, that with good amintance will hold over for a long time.. Its still used in some industrial applications, and alot  of buses use the same engine. Me and one of my friends are thinking about tossing one into his 1 ton to see what it'll be like. But as to the question put forth.. I would buy in a heartbeat.. I've never had a major problem with the truckself (maintainer), and over all it's built like a brick s**thouse.

as to the last point.. Properly adjusted its supposed to hold at like 900-1200 RPM as part of your DI. I'll have to get the proper RPM but i think it somewhere in there.

my course (done recently, which is why I remembered about the brakes) I think was 1100 RPM

On top of all that.. The Axle's are worth like $2000 a peice in the states. Alot of Off-roaders love the Rockwell's

I remember when the Bombardier Deuces came in.... everyone crapped on em and how flimsy they were compared to the old Korean era Deuces.

things never change

At least they still had metal bodies and looked like an Army truck that was rugged, as opposed to a truck off a GM lot or something made out of fiberglass.

Don't forget that this engine is a high RPM Diesel (IIRC), hence the unique shift pattern that is experienced when driving.

If I had the space I would't even think twice about it. It would be parked right beside my Iltis... ;D

Rob :cdn:

Where can you buy one? I've only seen Iltises for sale around NB.

Garett said:
Where can you buy one? I've only seen Iltises for sale around NB.

This company does all of the DND selling when a vehicle gets to the end of its life. You can pick up crew caps, buses and I have even seen office furniture there,  The Toronto one is where I picked up my Iltis and when the MLs come up to action I'll be there looking too and wishing I had the space.

http://www.icangroup.ca/index.htm

Rob :cdn:

I believe there will be many takers.
They will serve well on contruction & logging sites - let alone what they can do on the farm.
The simple fact that they are automatic is a saving grace - the 50 pattern deuce came in standard within the US (rag top as well) while we went with the Automatic & hard top..... good choices all round IMHO.

They will give good service to whoever buys em - AND with all the big pieces, will become a corner garage's best friend.

It's not a high RPM engine.. Its maxed for 3800 RPM.

Back