• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Would you get a surplus MLVW?

I relize this is and old thread but does anyone know where the dnd will be selling the mlvw's from? I've been told that they are actually being phased out for our new casr's and stirling's (reserves are getting these).

a.armstrong said:
I relize this is and old thread but does anyone know where the dnd will be selling the mlvw's from? I've been told that they are actually being phased out for our new casr's and stirling's (reserves are getting these).

Crown Auctions...... and the Sterlings are not going to the Reserves, these where interm vehicles until they came up with the acutal ML replacement.... MSVS (MILCOTS)

Oh, I didn't know that, I had been told the reserves were going to use them for a while longer and the regs were getting the msvs first.

a.armstrong said:
Oh, I didn't know that, I had been told the reserves were going to use them for a while longer and the regs were getting the msvs first.

Regs get the MSVS (SMP) and the Reserves get the MSVS (MILCOTS) or so I have been told by the project staff.....

NFLD Sapper said:
Crown Auctions...... and the Sterlings are not going to the Reserves, these where interm vehicles until they came up with the acutal ML replacement.... MSVS (MILCOTS)

The NaviStar trucks are the MSVS MilCOTS.  Not sure what you're talking about when you mention Sterling trucks.  There is no "interim" truck; the MLVWs are being replaced by the MilCOTS MSVS in the Reserves.

dapaterson said:
The NaviStar trucks are the MSVS MilCOTS.  Not sure what you're talking about when you mention Sterling trucks.  There is no "interim" truck; the MLVWs are being replaced by the MilCOTS MSVS in the Reserves.

Dapaterson a few years back at least here in Gagetown, the transport cell started to receive Sterling Stake trucks as TCV's to replace aging and grounds ML's..... They are basically the Sterling Actera chassis with either a normal TCV box or a hybread HL TCV box.....

These to the best of my knowledge where the stop gap measure until GoC/DND got around to the actual ML replacement program.... Pics of the Sterlings to fol at a later date when my interweb gets hooked up

Last week saw a beautifully restored deuce with the old Cornflake on it. wish I had a camera. It was doing something for the local legion.

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and was wondering does anyone know if the DND is , or will be, letting go of any MLVW's any time soon?

Marty

Every MLVW that I saw go for disposal, first had it's frame cut.  I do not believe that DND wants any of them on the road.

I have hear through through the Military Vehicle grape vine that some civil servant has decreed that no surplus Canadian SMP's will be sold as any thing but scrap any more.

The MLVW is not street legal. Thus none of them can be registered and licenced....no, not even restored.

There are a couple here in NL that are licensed, but I would assume that they have had the brake system completely redone...

Jammer said:
The MLVW is not street legal. Thus none of them can be registered and licensed....no, not even restored.
I know of 2 MLVW's on the road as M35's they were bought in very good condition uncut. the bill of sale said not road worthy at the same time a pair of scrap M35's were gotten for the Data plates.you get the idea.

I remember back in '86 we drove a few hundred of the old Jeeps from Lahr down to a compound in this little town where teams of civies systematically cut each one completely in half.
Funny part was that we were ordered to completely full up each one of them for the 20km or so drive.
The Germans had a field day collecting those fuel tanks.

Again, these were perfectly serviceable vehicles driven to a yard to be cut in half!!!!  Word at the time was that Italians had purchased the entire lot of them.

I seem to recall a mess conversation (*caution might have been intoxicated*) where some EME officer noted that they were not going to be sold via CADC, due to issues with regulatory civilian standards, and were being sent to Corrections Services Canada where they were being cut up for scrap by the prisoners as part of some work program.

He noted that in the early days of the program, CSC has some concerns about "lost" ammunition, pyro, knives, etc, being found in the hidden parts of the MLVW while it was being taken apart by the convicts.  Not sure if this was a theoretical concern, or as a results of an incident.  I suspect theoretical.

MC

Jammer said:
The MLVW is not street legal. Thus none of them can be registered and licenced....no, not even restored.

That may depend on the province you live in.  For example, my 1948 Willys jeep does not require reverse lights or even seatbelts, as there is a grandfather clause in our province's transportation laws. 

RDJP said:
That may depend on the province you live in.  For example, my 1948 Willys jeep does not require reverse lights or even seatbelts, as there is a grandfather clause in our province's transportation laws.
The MLVW is sold as scrap not to be licensed. written right on the bill of sale. they started doing that on some of the Iltis also mid way through the sell of of them. a lot of the old M151 mutts were the same way cut and sold as scrap.

Back