• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

World's Smallest Machine Gun

Well this clearly solves the problem of section firepower and reduces the weight to be carried and increases the Ammo load!!! Time to re-equip the Infantry!

I seem to recall those stupid air rifles the cadets use being somewhwere in the realm of .17 calibre. With a little acceleration those things could even break the skin  :p.

haha thats so cool. you could like put that in your pocket.  I wonder how accurate it is.  I know what I want for my birthday, it would be easy to wrap too  ;D

Billy~Bob said:
I seem to recall those stupid air rifles the cadets use being somewhwere in the realm of .17 calibre. With a little acceleration those things could even break the skin  :p.

Are you actually familiar with firearms?  Your post seems to indicate "no".

I observe his post-count and presume "NO".....

::)

Heh, just wait 'til you guys see the next project....it's in the shop right now getting worked on, but the pseudo-receiver is almost done.  The water cooling jacket is under way, and so is the tripod.

NS

NavyShooter said:
I observe his post-count and presume "NO".....

::)

Heh, just wait 'til you guys see the next project....it's in the shop right now getting worked on, but the pseudo-receiver is almost done.  The water cooling jacket is under way, and so is the tripod.

NS

OOOO!!!!  New harsh things...I love new harsh things....

What I meant was the pellets were something like .17 inches in diameter similar to the bore of the machine gun mentioned in this thread. I recognize that ACTUAL .17 rounds would be going a lot faster and would likely do more damage than simple air pellets. No need to put me in my place me any more than is necessary zipperhead :-X.

You got jumped on becasue you are comparing 2 entirely different things  ::)

They have .22 cal pellet guns as well, but to compare those to a .22-250 or .223 is ludicrous.

You should probably stick to topics that you have some familiarity with....

I'm going to give him a broad over view. If it fires with powder, it would probably be very painful to be hit by at the minimum, and hold the capacity to cause fatal injury. (even a .22 short could kill...and it would for sure hurt like hell)

They also make air rifles with Muzzle velocities of up to 1800FPS...that too would be very painful. Before you generalize a gun based on its bore diameter, think a wee bit.

Billy~Bob said:
What I meant was the pellets were something like .17 inches in diameter similar to the bore of the machine gun mentioned in this thread. I recognize that ACTUAL .17 rounds would be going a lot faster and would likely do more damage than simple air pellets. No need to put me in my place me any more than is necessary zipperhead :-X.

No need to get too sensitive.  You just seem as though you may not have much experience with firearms.  BTW, the air rifle calibre is not .17.  That inaccuracy is part of what makes it seem as though you may not have used them too much. 
Everyone here had no experience at one point.  Don't sweat it.  Take some time and read through the various weapon and equipment threads.  You will learn a heap.  Hell, everyone here learns something from everyone else at some point.  That is sort of the point of coming here. 
Enjoy your New Year. 

rz350 said:
I'm going to give him a broad over view. If it fires with powder, it would probably be very painful to be hit by at the minimum, and hold the capacity to cause fatal injury. (even a .22 short could kill...and it would for sure hurt like hell)

They also make air rifles with Muzzle velocities of up to 1800FPS...that too would be very painful. Before you generalize a gun based on its bore diameter, think a wee bit.

A primer from a centre fired cartridge, has a velocity of around 1450 fps when ignited by itself!!!!!!! (Modern Reloading, by Richard Lee)

Colin,

Interestingly, if you're into wheelguns, you can make indoor practice rounds using primed cartridge cases pushed into a sheet of wax (3/8" or so thick)

If you look at the Dillon Precision website:

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=63&min=2&dyn=1&

They offer X-ring rubber bullets which can be used instead of the wax method.

Note that they state that the primer flash hole needs to be opened up to increase the velocity imparted.

These don't have the recoil impulse to cycle a semi-auto.

Oh, and Back to the .17 cal stuff....

There's a number of options when it comes to .17 cal, including (but not limited to) .17HM2, .17 HMR, .177 (air gun pellets) .17 Mach IV,  the .17 Remington, and some oddball wildcat rounds that have been developped by individuals on their own accord.

The .17 Mach IV is rated to around 4000 FPS...based on a .221 Remington cartidge case necked down.

Anyhow, the point is I guess that there's a lot to learn when it comes to shooting, and this area isn't a bad spot to get started on learning about military related firearms, but there's some other resources that'll get you a lot further on the civvy side of the house.

NavyShooter

Sounds like an interesting idea for my .455, although I better do it in the garage as the wife would get annoyed with me otherwise!

Just ordered a set of dies for the .455, will likely use .45acp cast bullets in .454 diameter, but would like to find a source of expanding base bullets for better accuracy.

Billy~Bob said:

More then likely .177 they are the most common type on the market, but you can also get .22 caliber ones.

NL_engineer said:
More then likely .177 they are the most common type on the market, but you can also get .22 caliber ones.

you are correct the daisy 853c is a .177

NSfirefighter said:
you are correct the daisy 853c is a .177

ALL cadet air rifles as of when I was a cadet (2002) are .177 calibre lead pellet.

Both the 853c and the Anschütz 380 competition rifle.

IMG_0090.jpg

More pics to follow soon....

NS

Back