• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whither the G-Wagon

I don't think the Bison was to be deployed either. (I could be wrong on this)

I disagree, you need equipment that reflects the core of what you are/do to be able to attract and retain people. There is no contract to hold people in the reserves, therefore you need to offer something in return for their time and investment. The old M38's with the GPMG at least offered the "Rat patrol" image, right now they don't have much to offer except the "chance" to play with the big cats.

The reality is we have no idea what will be our next conflict, nobody would have guessed we be bombing the Balkans, fighting a COIN war in Afghanstan, bombing Libya.

While it would be great to get the best AFV for all possibilities, the reality is we could only afford a "2nd best " model. Likely something on the lines of the M117 which a quick google search shows a cost of roughly 350,000 each (not sure what that contract included). For about 13 vehicles to equip the 2 armoured units out here (6 each plus a spare, BCR's and BCD's) you are looking at about 4.5 million.

I just used the M117 as an example and not as the only vehicle that fulfill the purpose.

Conversely Colin

2x 4 M1117s  +1 = 3.15 MCAD

4.5-3.15 = 1.35 MCAD

4 Jeeps = 100 KCAD
28 Jeeps = 700 KCAD

BCDs = 14 Jeeps + 4 M117s
BCRs = 14 Jeeps + 4 M117s

650 KCAD left in the kitty to buy SAA.

BCRs and BCDs each have the ability to train 18 Dvr/CC tms and deploy them on domops in useful vehicles.  On domops the CF can add 36 veh tms to scout out back roads and isolated communities.

Meanwhile soldiers learn military driving skills, maintenance skills, convoy and patrol skills, driving appropriate to vehicle and conditions, back-roads navigation, off-road driving.....and some exposure to the difference between light vehicles and heavy vehicles.

Back