• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's best for Deployment opportunities: Postal Clerk or RMS (NCM)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I have been a traffic tech for over 7 years, that is 14 countries, two tours, hundreds of thousands of pounds of humanitarian aid, millions of pounds of troops, bags, vehicles, helicopters, equipment etc etc."

That's awesome. That's what I'm looking to be a part of..I wonder if my physical strength as a woman would be strong enough for this role.  If I may ask, where have you been posted for those 7 years?  Do you enjoy the job? And, this may seem like a silly question, but someone mentioned I'd need to DAG green - but I'm not totally sure what that means. 

Take Care.

"Only the small ones should have been picked up.  The big ones should have been painted!"
LOL!  yes, that's funny! 

Binder said:
Oh! I didn't know you were just signing up too.  Good Luck!!  I'm sure you'll do just fine  ;D

Thanks.  I'm still waiting on one teeny little thing before I go back to the Rec Ctr with my app.  This waiting game stuff is crazy..... guess I should get used to it though.

Binder said:
That's awesome. That's what I'm looking to be a part of..I wonder if my physical strength as a woman would be strong enough for this role.  If I may ask, where have you been posted for those 7 years?   Do you enjoy the job? And, this may seem like a silly question, but someone mentioned I'd need to DAG green - but I'm not totally sure what that means.   

Binder, I'm female and I used to be a Tfc Tech.  My physical strength was never an issue (of course, that was many years ago and very far away now
2014.gif
).  I was posted to Greenwood, Gander, Germany and Gagetown.  Yep, did a lot of the "G" bases.  ;D

Binder, I'm female and I used to be a Tfc Tech.  My physical strength was never an issue (of course, that was many years ago and very far away now).  I was posted to Greenwood, Gander, Germany and Gagetown.  Yep, did a lot of the "G" bases.
=======================================

That's very cool!  Thanks so much for responding.  I appreciate it.

Binder said:
"I have been a traffic tech for over 7 years, that is 14 countries, two tours, hundreds of thousands of pounds of humanitarian aid, millions of pounds of troops, bags, vehicles, helicopters, equipment etc etc."

That's awesome. That's what I'm looking to be a part of..I wonder if my physical strength as a woman would be strong enough for this role.  If I may ask, where have you been posted for those 7 years?   Do you enjoy the job? And, this may seem like a silly question, but someone mentioned I'd need to DAG green - but I'm not totally sure what that means.   

Take Care.

Yes I enjoy the job. It is not a stupid question but right now if I were you I wouldnt worry too much about he DAG process or the constant courses/training you will need to do just yet. I have only had two postings as a traffic tech. That is Greenwood and presently Trenton. I mentioned I have worked in 14 countries and various airports, these include of course various places in Canada, the U.S, Scotland, England, Norway, Greenland, Iceland, Bermuda, Azores, Afghanistan, and a few others as well. If you are worried about physical strength, it really is not much of an issue for most people, you will need to sling baggage and push pallets but if you pass the PT test then you should be fine.  We do everything from freight processing, shipping, receiving, passenger/baggage processing, load planning for various aircraft and of course loading and unloading the aircraft too. In the last 7 years I have handled many different aircraft like the CC-130 Hercules, CC-150 Airbus, CC-177 Globemaster, C-160s, KC135, L1011, B727, B767, A310 (same as our Airbus), A320, A319, AN12, AN124, AN225, IL76, DASH7, DASH8, and more (too many more to mention). It is a diverse trade and you could be posted to any base in Canada including Army, Navy and Air Force. I have been lucky and been working with the Air Force the whole time as a traffic Tech although I wear an army uniform. I will warn you about one thing though, if you have a family and get posted to a high tempo unit you may be away often and for extended periods of time, this can be hard especially if you are not used to being away. I have been in Trenton for over two years and have spent roughly one years worth of time (maybe a little more) deployed or travelling. If you choose this trade and were posted to 2 Air Movements Squadron expect to be gone a lot and expect to be very busy. There are travel opportunities with the other Wings/Bases as well but not as much as here in Trenton.Cheers.

Hi Gramps,
I want to thank you for telling me all of this.  It sounds like a great trade to be apart of.  I like the fact that it keeps you busy and there is a variety of tasks involved.  Travelling would not be a problem for me as I don't have a family, so being on the move is appealing as well.  Thanks again  :D

If you like to travel....why not become aircrew!

AES Op will be opening for direct-entry applicants very soon.......Think about it  ;D

Don't know what an AES Op is, or does?  Some info here in the AES Op thread.

Sea King Water Bird Training

CP-140 Aurora  To see where the AES Ops work on the Aurora, go to the vrTour, then select "crew".  You will see the Sensor AES Op, RADAR AES Op and Ordanance AES Op (know as NASO 1, 2 and 3 respectively. NASO=Non Acoustic Sensor Operator).  The ASO (Acoustic Sensor Officer) job on the Aurora will also be crewed in the future by AES Ops, so even more seats and jobs to do  8).

CH-124 Sea King  There is no vrTour of the Sea King but there is a decent picture of the AES Op and TACCO (Tactical Coordinator, a seat manned by Air Navigators, soon to be renamed Air Combat Systems Officers) seats in this picture

CH-148 Cyclone  The Cyclone is not in service yet, so no vrTour or 'inside pictures' to be had at this time.

Hi Eye In The Sky,
actually, I didn't know what an AES OP did, lol, but thanks so much for the info.  It sounds much too technical for me!  I'm sure lots of individuals just signing up will love the opportunity though! 

Well, I did it.  I put in my application this morning for Traffic Tech.  I'm very excited to get the process started  ;D  There is no 2nd or 3rd choice. 

The puzzling thing that happened is that on Friday I used the online chat and was told the trade was open, however, today the centre told me it was closed.  I didn't get it...  later, the suspicious, cynic in me thought maybe I was just told that because they noticed two things: (1) I have a college cert. in business; and, (2) my civvie job is administrative. (I went back on the chat today, and again I was told the trade is open).  Would it be a stretch to think that maybe they will likely suggest RMS to me?  I hope not, but I guess I'll have to wait 'n see how the interview goes.  The more I think about it, the more I want it. 

Wish me luck!

..and please tell me which account I should send my best wishes too?
Should I send them via Binder or Blackraven?

Brucie not happy...........

I'm sorry Brucie.  There is a perfectly good explanation for it, actually, which is why I want to delete blackraven.  I initially setup Binder from the office on a pc.  When I tried to sign in at home with my mac, I consistently kept getting error messages about my password not working.  So, after several attempts, I began a new account.  I only used it for that one post and haven't used it since, as I was successful on another day (and since) to sign in from home to Binder.

I wasn't trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes and meant no harm.  My apologies.

As Staff Director, are you capable of deleting that account and/or this thread? Will you do that?

Thank you. I guess I should have just messaged a staff director from the start, but I didn't know how the site operated (still not entirely sure about that) or who ran (runs) it.

Now that my stupid mistake in judgment has been 'outed' << :-[>>, I can only hope I won't be blacklisted from this community because I really rather like coming on here and reading/contributing to the posts. 

I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Binder said:
I'm sorry Brucie.  There is a perfectly good explanation for it, actually, which is why I want to delete blackraven.  I initially setup Binder from the office on a pc.  When I tried to sign in at home with my mac, I consistently kept getting error messages about my password not working.  So, after several attempts, I began a new account.  I only used it for that one post and haven't used it since, as I was successful on another day (and since) to sign in from home to Binder.

I wasn't trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes and meant no harm.  My apologies.

As Staff Director, are you capable of deleting that account and/or this thread? Will you do that?

Binder said:
Thank you. I guess I should have just messaged a staff director from the start, but I didn't know how the site operated (still not entirely sure about that) or who ran (runs) it.

Now that my stupid mistake in judgment has been 'outed' << :-[>>, I can only hope I won't be blacklisted from this community because I really rather like coming on here and reading/contributing to the posts.  

I hope I didn't offend anyone.

In my eyes as a long time member you made an honest mistake and admitted to it, so no ill effects.

Binder said:
Hi.  I'm considering re-enlisting as I really want to do a few tours.  I was Artillery in the reserves for 3 years and then switched to the Regs as Sup Tech.  I was released on a 3b Medical.  Back's okay now, 5 1/2 years later...thinking of either Postal Clerk or RMS, but I don't want to be stuck sweeping floors again, if you know what I mean, and I want a trade that has excellent ops for deployment regularly..  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as I have filled out my application but haven't turned it in yet..

If you were "stuck" sweeping floors --- there was a reason for it,if you know what I mean.  ;)

The NFLD Grinch said:
In my eyes as a long time member you made an honest mistake and admitted to it, so no ill effects.

Thanks. I appreciate that.

oh, haha, well, everybody was stuck sweeping floors.  It wasn't a punishment or anything like that.

Binder said:
oh, haha, well, everybody was stuck sweeping floors.  It wasn't a punishment or anything like that.

It's a Friday afternoon thing, has been forever and a day.

It takes 20 minutes, one afternoon a week and it's done. And there's hygiene/health reasons for it occuring.  You make it seem like that's all I've done (or any Suppy) for 20 years. Word up ... we Suppies deploy a whole lot more than RMS ... scratch that off your list if that's all your interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back