• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's best for Deployment opportunities: Postal Clerk or RMS (NCM)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binder

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi.  I'm considering re-enlisting as I really want to do a few tours.  I was Artillery in the reserves for 3 years and then switched to the Regs as Sup Tech.  I was released on a 3b Medical.  Back's okay now, 5 1/2 years later...thinking of either Postal Clerk or RMS, but I don't want to be stuck sweeping floors again, if you know what I mean, and I want a trade that has excellent ops for deployment regularly..  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as I have filled out my application but haven't turned it in yet..

I don't think people should enlist or choose a trade merely for the opportunity of deploying.  There are plenty of civilian jobs if all you want to do is work overseas.

As far as I know both are pretty much guaranteed a deployment at some point.  There will always be a need for Posties and Clerks.   So if you should re-enlist as a clerk (postal or rms) and you volunteer for a deployment, as long as you DAG green there shouldn't be an issue.   I'm not sure about regular deployment - have friends who are clerks and some (navy) have done a few NATOs and fishpats, and some who actively try to avoid deployment.  My husband is also a clerk and is currently on his 4th deployment (though 3rd as a clerk, was an MSEOP prior to CT/OTing).   I guess what I'm saying is, the opportunity is there if you want it.  Just express your interest to your career manager  CoC.

And I'll ditto RCR Grunt for infantry if you want to deploy a lot.

Not meaning to be a dink or anything, after all I am infantry but if you are looking for deployment opportunities go Sigs. When I was first posted to CFJSR I seen troops with racks of medals, many that I had never seen before! But if you're only in for the baubles maybe it's time to rethink your motivation. ???

Lil_T said:
 Just express your interest to your career manager.

I'm sorry but if a person is interested in a deployment, specialy if they are at entry level ranks, they express their interest to the chain of commande, not their CM.  The career manager doesnt decide who ( for example) 1 SVC Bn send on roto whatever........he probably couldnt care less.

sorry - that's what I was thinking.  Not having a great brain day today.

2 Cdo said:
Not meaning to be a dink or anything, after all I am infantry but if you are looking for deployment opportunities go Sigs. When I was first posted to CFJSR I seen troops with racks of medals, many that I had never seen before! But if you're only in for the baubles maybe it's time to rethink your motivation. ???

2 Cdo, you're just torqued because we wouldn't let you go.

As for tours, it all depends on where you end up. Most of the RMS Clerks in the units I have belonged to did not get many tours as it was us Sigs that had most of the positions for deployment. In the 9 years I was at CFJSR our postie managed to get an all expenses paid trip to the Golan. Now there is no postie there, so I guess that is a moot point.

"I don't think people should enlist or choose a trade merely for the opportunity of deploying.  There are plenty of civilian jobs if all you want to do is work overseas."

Thank you for replying. Perhaps I gave the wrong impression, but I am not thinking of re-enlisting just for deployment opportunities.  No way.  I miss being in uniform and serving my country and having/taking pride in my work.  Having said that, however, I found it quite difficult to take pride in picking up rocks outside on the pavement because there was not enough work for us Sup Techs to do on one fine afternoon! I do RMS work in civie street, and it suits me perfectly.  I am merely asking what the deployment opportunites are with this trade as well as the postal clerk - another trade of interest.  

"But if you're only in for the baubles maybe it's time to rethink your motivation."

Nope - not the baubles.  As I was talking to the recruiter last week about Traffic Tech, he told me they may put their toe to Bosnia many many times, but they don't get a medal, I told him that's not what interests me.  I'm interested in participating in something worthwhile, working as a team on a humanitarian effort, making a 'real' difference in the world.  And I believe the CF is doing just that.

I'll be turning 40 next year, and to be honest, re-enlisting as a Pte.B at that age is kinda scary - it's like starting all over again - but I want to do it.  The questions are: will I pass the medical (back injury) and can I keep up in the running with the young 'ens.  I have muscular strength, but not so terrific with my cardio.  I came on this forum because I wanted to talk to the troops who are in - as part of doing my homework before handing in my application again.  I believe an informed decision is a good one. 

Thank you all for your replies.  It helps me.

well - you never know, depending on entry and how long our apps take, we may end up on the same BMQ.    Good Luck!!

After being released 3b already, I'd be more concerned with the medical portion than how much I'd get to deploy.

Binder said:
"I don't think people should enlist or choose a trade merely for the opportunity of deploying.  There are plenty of civilian jobs if all you want to do is work overseas."

Thank you for replying. Perhaps I gave the wrong impression, but I am not thinking of re-enlisting just for deployment opportunities.  No way.  I miss being in uniform and serving my country and having/taking pride in my work.  Having said that, however, I found it quite difficult to take pride in picking up rocks outside on the pavement because there was not enough work for us Sup Techs to do on one fine afternoon! I do RMS work in civie street, and it suits me perfectly.  I am merely asking what the deployment opportunites are with this trade as well as the postal clerk - another trade of interest.  

Well, thanks for clearing that up!  I guess if those are your two trades of interest, both are probably good.  As PuckChaser stated, get past the medical first.

211RadOp said:
2 Cdo, you're just torqued because we wouldn't let you go.

As for tours, it all depends on where you end up. Most of the RMS Clerks in the units I have belonged to did not get many tours as it was us Sigs that had most of the positions for deployment. In the 9 years I was at CFJSR our postie managed to get an all expenses paid trip to the Golan. Now there is no postie there, so I guess that is a moot point.

Sorry, not really interested in going overseas anymore. 8)

Binder said:
As I was talking to the recruiter last week about Traffic Tech, he told me they may put their toe to Bosnia many many times, but they don't get a medal, I told him that's not what interests me.  I'm interested in participating in something worthwhile, working as a team on a humanitarian effort, making a 'real' difference in the world.  And I believe the CF is doing just that.

I sent a Traf Tech I know who is on here this one...hopefully he'll be by to clear this info by the recruiter up for you.  I know he has been to more than Bosnia.

Eye In The Sky said:
I sent a Traf Tech I know who is on here this one...hopefully he'll be by to clear this info by the recruiter up for you.  I know he has been to more than Bosnia.

I'm thinking he may be referring to Tfc Techs working at the airport in Zagreb, Croatia.

PMedMoe said:
I'm thinking he may be referring to Tfc Techs working at the airport in Zagreb, Croatia.

Possibly....or maybe Traf Tech is green right now and RMS Clk isn't?  ;)

well - you never know, depending on entry and how long our apps take, we may end up on the same BMQ.    Good Luck!!

Oh! I didn't know you were just signing up too.  Good Luck!!  I'm sure you'll do just fine  ;D

Binder said:
"But if you're only in for the baubles maybe it's time to rethink your motivation."
As I was talking to the recruiter last week about Traffic Tech, he told me they may put their toe to Bosnia many many times, but they don't get a medal, I told him that's not what interests me. 

Could not be any more wrong if they tried. I have been a traffic tech for over 7 years, that is 14 countries, two tours, two medals (if thats what you are looking for) hundreds of thousands of pounds of humanitarian aid, millions of pounds of troops, bags, vehicles, helicopters, equipment etc etc. Your recruiter was dead wrong and should check their facts on this one for sure.

Binder said:
I found it quite difficult to take pride in picking up rocks outside on the pavement ...  

- Only the small ones should have been picked up.  The big ones should have been painted!

:D

- Thought of Ammo Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back