• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wet Weather Combat Boots: Use, Maintenance & Other Stuff.

I sure hope that these new boots are not the WWB that you are inferring to. If it is, do not use polish or silicon on them at all, your feet will thank you. Goretex does not like anything that clogs its pores, you should use the provided creme.

If, however, you have simply been issued the Old Black Cadillac style boots. Disregard any instructions that come with them and fire away with polish. They are pure leather and can be polished with impunity.

I think he just ****ed his boots.Theres a special paste that they give you for the WWBs.Thats all i believe one should be putting on his boots.

Nah, if they‘re new boots and they said to use the silicone, then it‘s Black Cadillacs that he‘s talking about. I remember the same instructions when I got my new regular boots. (Mk IIIs?)

If they are brand new combat boots, try burn shining them. Put a good amount of kiwi on them and run a lighter over the polish.

Hey, I may be an FNG, but I not an idiot :D

They are leather (black), but with ridges/dimples -- not like the old smooth leather style from ages ago or my Docs. I believe these are made on contract by Terra.

Anyway, the instructions are EXPLICIT, and say to use T3000 silicone (or similar) only -- that way the boot will be waterproofed. The boots did NOT come with a cream or anything else.

The instructions also say that polish should not be used (as it breaks down the silicone application; i.e. it will not damage the boot itself) and that silicone should only be applied once a year or so, etc.

However, I wore them in garrison last week and I took heat for it. Everyone was saying that my boots looked like sh!t (black and dull) and that I needed to get a proper shine out of them.

I‘m not too sure if everyone else in my unit has the same boots, but they said for me to ignore the instructions and to, "Get them shiny -- infantry style; not like those pussies in the Air Force!" I believe is what he said, and this was coming from a Capt.

I tried to burn shine them last night, but they are not as shiny as my Docs. However, the burn shine did make a marked improvement.

The instructions also made mention that a black dye can be used. Does anyone know what they mean by that? Any thoughts?

These definately sound like the (black cadillacs) especially when you describe them as being covered in bumps and ridges. I‘d say polish them. The black dye they refer to is boot blackener and you should be able to get it through your unit or the CQ.

If you want to save some time and effort with polishing try using a dremel with a soft polishing attachment. Does a really nice job and will save you hours of work on your boots.

Believe it or not, I‘ve already taken a Black and Decker palm-sander (with a buffing pad) to them. It didn‘t do too much. :(

I think the problem may be that they are too new, plus I‘ve already applied the silicone (which is likely repelling the polish). I‘ll likely have to wear them out a little and then re-apply the polish. Looks like a going out for a hike today! :warstory:

Thanks for the help everyone.

The main reason behind the new CADPAT system and boots is for camouflage. Therefore, with the boots, wet weather they suggest only cleaning them with water and a cloth and then applying paste to the scuff marks.
I know you are asking us about the Mk III combat boot but the point I am trying to make is that your shiny black boots contradict the CADPAT uniform!! In fact, they are developing a CADPAT camouflaged boot for just that reason!! How do you think we are going to "polish" those?!? I would love to see an NCO pick you up on dress and deportment for having only used QM issue silicone and boot blackener on your issue boots. Good luck!

Bzz

It sets a great example for new recruits when their boots say do not polish and they are told its illegal to iron their uniform, And then they show up for work... heh

Those cadpat boots are going to be an eyesore

Is it me, or is humint talking about I think Mk IV combat boots, those ones with ridges on the side soles and that generally looks like ****?

Humint, try applying some "boot black" to your boots, it will get some shine into them, then after that it‘s all about how much you polish them. You could also try Kiwi "Parade Gloss", It works really well for getting a good shine, but does scuff a bit easier than regular kiwi polish.

The cadpat boots were actually pretty comfortable...as for an eyesore in garrison yes they were:) But I can hardly see a CSM letting guys wear them around, just like desert and jungle boots.

They work extremly well in the field, we did an ad hoc test on them using various NVG devices, bino‘s, naked eye at night. You could almost instantly see the soldier wearing the black boots everytime, but the cadpat ones you actually had to look and even then guys were fooled.

And that is why the new style boots are supposed to be dull.. for less reflection and to aid in camouflage...All I can say humint is use the QM issue boot blackener and silicone... and do‘t worry about the dimples.. they will disappear with use. And if you have any problems, tell the Bzzliteyr told you to do it!

Bzz

Thanks for the help guys.

I checked out the boots -- one pair is made by Greb and the other is Terra :confused: . Both pairs are exactly the same style, etc. As we all know, all this stuff is contract made. They are not CADPAT gortex or the new WWB, just the basic leather jobbies.

Anyway, I burn-shined one pair and rubbed them like no tomorrow (with a wet cotton ball) and I‘m proud to say that, after a few hours, I have shinny boots. But, I‘m keeping the other pair dull specifically for the field.

I totally agree, they should be dull for the field. No point in having a super-shine on them if they are going to give you away.

But that‘s the whole problem. I follow the instructions on the boot tags (i.e. don‘t polish, just use silicone), and then a Capt gives me sh!t for having dull boots. I don‘t iron my uniform, and then I‘m takin‘ heat for having wrinkles. WTF! :mad:

Do you still have the olive drabs?

If so, before you parade, toss your uniform and a wet handtowel inside the dryer and run it for ten minutes. Should be good to go.

Well for one, it is not a Captain‘s job to discipline for dress and deportment, that is a Seargent major‘s job. Captains are there to do paper work.. and other office things...
As for the dimples on your boots, here‘s a trick I learned way back.. Iron them. Yes, I am serious, get yourself an old iron, or use a propane torch and a spoon and you can iron out the dimples.. then shine them (ho-hum.. will we ever learn?) to a spiffy looking gloss.

Well for one, it is not a Captain‘s job to discipline for dress and deportment, that is a Seargent major‘s job. Captains are there to do paper work.. and other office things...
Really?

Hey Bzzliteyr,
Maybe Captains in your Unit don‘t look after dress and deportment, but every Infantry Adjt I‘ve ever met was quite keen on those things. Much to my dismay. :D

Cheers

I‘m sure the RSM would give it to me, too, but I never see him. The Capt gave it to me at the Offrs Mess in front of some other subbies. He was nice about it (i.e. joking around), but he got his point across.

Harris, I was always under the impression that it was the RSM and Seargents major that took care of the dress and deportment of the troops, and the Officers to take care of administrative problems. As I was reading humints post it dawned on me that he might very well be a subbie and that his senior would be a captain. As they say here at CTC Gagetown, it is everyones responsability to deal with dress and deportment, I remember at one point, they suggested that everyone represented the base RSM and they could tell anyone they were out of dress!

Bzz

Back