• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wet Weather Combat Boots: Use, Maintenance & Other Stuff.

• Thread starter Thread starter Wilson601
  • Start date Start date
I am a reservist with AD and i recieved my kit today. I was provided with new boots, and i was wondering if any of you members that have been around for a while have any tips on breaking the new boots in?

For combat boots apparently filling them with
hot water a couple of times (letting them dry
in between of course) and walking around for
a couple of hours supposedly does the trick.
Never tried it myself though.

For me I simply wear them a for a couple
of days and it usually is fine for me.

If you recieved the old CBT boots, soak them for awhile in some water. If you got the new Goretex boots DON‘T soak them. The new WWB boots are pretty comfortable from the start.

The easiest way to break boots in is to wear them. Walk around the house and that for a weekend, wear the boots off and on. No short cut compares to your foot in the boot.

Generally, wear the socks that will normally wear in them. For example, you don‘t break in CBT boots with a thin white sport sock, if you are going to wear thick wool socks regularly.

If you start to get blisters...visit the topic "Feet--Blisters and Hotspots....", there are good suggestion there.

:cdn:

What is common issue for the infantry now? I got two pairs of goretex boots and at parade night I wore them and was told to wait until the fall/winter to wear them to which I told that I only was issued goretex. A few people were quite suprised.

Is this irregular or the kit that‘s issued now?

The Goretex WWB is considered standard issue now as far as I can tell. It really shouldn‘t matter what time of the year that you get them, they are good all year round, and they‘re quite comfy.
As per the original topic, I too have found that just simply wearing them helps break them in, but alternate what pairs you wear so that you don‘t prolong your discomfort. Good luck.

Vedi, Vidi, Vici

That‘s weird.

I thought mk3 combat boots were issued to everyone.

I only wear goretex boots when in field.

I was under the impression that all units, reg and reserve were starting to get them,I could be wrong though as I have very limited contact with some of my ‘bin rat‘ buddies.
I apologise if I have inadvertantly misled any readers out there. :dontpanic:

Well, everyone‘s got them. I only have one pair and I wear it only at field at my preference.

Mk3s works fine for me for garrisson.

I was issued 2 pairs of the Mk3‘s

I think everyone else in my unit(an the MP Plt thats at our armoury) has mk3‘s, except for the guys going on the next ROTO to the Former Yugoslavia, they also got CADPAT an tact vests

anyways

the way I broke in my combat boots(old ones, mk3) was to put them on, lace them as tight as possible, filled the sink in my laundry room with hot water(hot as I could stand it) then just put my feet in, an every 5 mins I laced the boots up tighter, I did this for about 30 mins, then got out an walked around for 15 minutes, took the boots off, laced them as tight as they could go, then left them to dry

and then wearing them a lot breaks them then walking around

Just in case nobody told you, break your boots before going on course.
It‘s pain in the *** to try to break in a new set of boots during course, esp. when you‘re on field ex or on marches.

hah! I got my boots right before I went on basic. So how did I break ‘em in? By wearing ‘em on course. I managed to get civvie insoles and all, but the bottoms of my feet hurt like a bitch for the first few days.. But I quickly got used to it.

I know there for cold wet weather, but most people I know don‘t care and wear them all the time.

I just wore mine to a day game of paintball, whereby alot of running, walking, crouching, etc. was envolved. My feet are ok, except I had a large chunk of flesh on the heel of my feet ripped off. I wore the special green socks issued with them, but not the thin black ones.

Anyone know how to stop getting this? Also, do they feel enormously big on you when you wear them? I was issued mine, wore them on an ex, never wore them for a year, then tried them again, and the felt gigantic. I had to put a muckluck insole in it to make it feel comfortable. Anyone else have this problem?

Hello,

I find the goretex boots do feel quite large, but I‘ve gotten used to them.

Also, what‘s the policy on wearing them outside of army time? I would of thought someone would get throughtly bitched out if they got caught wearing their boots to a paintball game.

ah yes, a very important point about the cbt boots.

get a good pair of insoles! Spend whatever you
need to but make sure you get good ones. Your
feet will thank you immensely!

The goretex boots do loosen up after you‘ve worn them for a while, but I have a hard time with you having to put in a muckluk insole/sock. When they were issued to you, did Clothing Stores pers do a proper measurement on your foot?

Also, they do get very hot in warm weather, as they are not made for it. Hot boots + too big = blisters. Infantry Math 101.

that makes sense; although somebody did measure me when I got them.

As for wearing them outside, my squardon RO‘s say any issued kit WITHOUT a Canadian Flag, the word "Canada," or any other symbol that identifies me as a member of the CF can be worn so long as it‘s not part of the fighting order (I think that‘s just webbing and helmet).

Boots, pants, T-shirts (although not outer shirt), toque, and gloves fall in the category of safe stuff to my knowledge, so I wear them if I go paintballing/camping. Noone‘s ever bitched me out for those things, and if they do, I‘ll just throw the RO‘s in thier face.

I did get in trouble once when someone who looked like me was walking around with a CF issued webbing at the University, but he was just some bum with the airsoft club showing off his gear.

A pair of football/soccer cleets work 100x better for paintball.. :)

Their just like shoes so you get alot of air to your feet.

Dont need some heavy boot for paintball, not like your running up mountains or running through swamps is it? :p

I bought a pair of hiking insoles 2 years ago and use them to this day. Without them, wearing the combat boots (i‘m not sure, but if MK3 mean the old school boots that stretch alot and provide little/no support after a few months, I mean the MK3‘s) is like wearing a pair of wooden sandles.

hiking insoles? Mind sharing the brand?
I‘m afraid Dr. Scholes (sp?) isn‘t cutting
it for me anymore.

Back