• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Presidential Election 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just over four percent below where Obama was at the same time - 47.9% for Obama vs 43.6% for Trump.

He is, however, well ahead of Jimmy Carter at the same point in time.

RealClear has an even 3% gap in favor of Obama as of today.

It should be interesting to see how the election result relates to these polls.

QV said:
It's Rasmussen.

Rasmussen isn't exactly accurate either in their methodology.  They are rated as C+ by 538.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pollster-ratings/

Also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasmussen_Reports

I have a  hunch that if Trump loses, the Biden regime will forgive everything. That's the historical nature of how America handles an outgoing president. It seems to be some sense of respect for 'royalty' they have. But that would only work if Trump and his family agree to disappear into the woodwork by accepting defeat

This is where the topic of this thread comes in, and racism is the only big enough difference between the two sides that could cause brothers to kill brothers. In this case, skin colour to kill other skin colours.

QV said:
It's Rasmussen.

Oh, so you could have posted the original source as:

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll (source: Rasmussen)

However, then there wouldn’t have been the opportunity to use the sensational Trumpesque quote “This is a HUGE number and must terrify Democrats.”

Someone could put their spin on Rasmussen’s data and say “Trump’s popularity have fallen since same time last year!” since on 24 Sep 2019, he had 53% popularity and 52% is lower.

This is just another example of each side picking and choosing what it wants to hear, and how to spin it.

:pop:

QV said:
RealClear has an even 3% gap in favor of Obama as of today.

It should be interesting to see how the election result relates to these polls.

It’s always a dive into the numbers after.  But yeah,  I always find polls interesting to compare before and after.

Donald H said:
I have a  hunch that if Trump loses, the Biden regime will forgive everything. That's the historical nature of how America handles an outgoing president.

When President Ford pardoned Richard M. Nixon, in the 1974 Midterms the Republicans lost 43 seats in the House and three in the Senate. Two years later, President Ford lost to Jimmy Carter in the 1976 presidential election.

A federal pardon would not apply to state governments.

Donald H said:
But that would only if Trump and his family agree to disappear work into the woodwork by accepting defeat

How likely is that to happen?

mariomike said:
When President Ford pardoned Richard M. Nixon, in the 1974 Midterms the Republicans lost 43 seats in the House and three in the Senate. Two years later, President Ford lost to Jimmy Carter in the 1976 presidential election.

I wasn't thinking of a pardon mariomike, I was just thinking of the crimes being forgotten, as has been past practice. Even though Trump is likely guilty of many more egregious crimes than any other president. Americans just don't have the stomach for doing in a past president.

How likely is that to happen?

I suppose it would depend on the threats of prosecution facing them.

However, I think we might be getting too deep into speculation now. Still, the possibilities are endless.

>But that would only work if Trump and his family agree to disappear into the woodwork by accepting defeat

It's the other way around.  The customary understanding that there will be no "pursuit" phase after an election is what enables the peaceful transition and departure of the loser.

Brad Sallows said:
>But that would only work if Trump and his family agree to disappear into the woodwork by accepting defeat

It's the other way around.  The customary understanding that there will be no "pursuit" phase after an election is what enables the peaceful transition and departure of the loser.

Yes Brad, I think that answers for the reason they always neglect to bring charges against a past president. However, that has always depended on whether the past president steps down gracefully. That may not be the case with Trump.

Causes me to wonder if this has ever been a relevant consideration with Canada's Prime Ministers. Could Chretien have been prosecuted had he allowed Canada to take part in America's second war against Iraq? Would we have insisted?

Brad Sallows said:
Neither Trump nor Biden deserves the next term, but except for voters willing to vote third party, necessarily it comes down to a choice between the two. 

Unfortunately, in this US there is no third party, and from what I understand both Republicans and Democrats have been very effective in maintaining a two party system.

Weinie said:
Pretty sure you meant 2024. And Ivanka Trump will never stand for President.

The US parties have a uncomfortable attachment to dynasties. My guess though is that if Trump loses, he will yell "losers" and then go onto something else.

There are third parties; Libertarian and Green are the two main ones.  Independent and third party candidates do not win, but they do influence the result.  Clinton and Trump both bled D and R share last election; Clinton lost enough to lose the states that would have given her the presidency.  Perot is thought by some to be the reason Bush lost to Clinton (Bill).

Both D and R look right now like parties that could fracture along lines dividing their respective extremist and centrist wings.

Brad Sallows said:

It just occurred to me after reading this, is “lock her up!” the reason they went after him with the false Russia thing?  If he had never went down that path, would they have largely left him alone? 

It would be good if D and R would fracture off the extremes and unite to form a centrist party.

And he doubles down again on illegally voting twice:

Trump again suggests supporters should try to vote twice, ignoring warnings from election officials

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/trump-again-suggests-supporters-should-try-to-vote-twice-ignoring-warnings-from-election-officials-1.5093830

As sometimes happens with Trump, what he did was confusing enough that it's not a simple matter to tease out what was done and triumphantly describe it as "illegal".  There's a difference between urging voters to vote twice, and urging voters to follow some (questionable, confusing, fraught with legal risk) process to follow-up on an advanced vote by showing up at a polling station on election day.  The bad part is that if voters don't know enough to state their intentions ("I'm here to check on my ballot") and just try to vote again waiting for "the system" to catch them, their intentions will be in doubt.  Really bad advice, but not necessarily encouragement to deliberately break the law.

"Trump's Twitter commentary is legally sound, but doesn't make much sense and is an ineffective way for voters to track their ballots, experts have told CNN. But his remarks contained so much misleading information about election procedures that they were quickly censored by Twitter, and prompted election officials from Michigan and North Carolina, among others, to remind citizens Thursday that voting twice is illegal and they could be prosecuted."

Brad Sallows said:
As sometimes happens with Trump, what he did was confusing enough that it's not a simple matter to tease out what was done and triumphantly describe it as "illegal".  There's a difference between urging voters to vote twice, and urging voters to follow some (questionable, confusing, fraught with legal risk) process to follow-up on an advanced vote by showing up at a polling station on election day.  The bad part is that if voters don't know enough to state their intentions ("I'm here to check on my ballot") and just try to vote again waiting for "the system" to catch them, their intentions will be in doubt.  Really bad advice, but not necessarily encouragement to deliberately break the law.

"Trump's Twitter commentary is legally sound, but doesn't make much sense and is an ineffective way for voters to track their ballots, experts have told CNN. But his remarks contained so much misleading information about election procedures that they were quickly censored by Twitter, and prompted election officials from Michigan and North Carolina, among others, to remind citizens Thursday that voting twice is illegal and they could be prosecuted."

I agree with you on this one Brad. It's just barely innocuous enough to pass muster on legal grounds.  But now the news cycle has turned to Trump's remarks on the military anyway.

QV said:
It would be good if D and R would fracture off the extremes and unite to form a centrist party.

Part of the reason the extremes appeared on each end was that the Dems and GOP were almost indistinguishable for a while. sort of like Coke and Pepsi

Colin P said:
Part of the reason the extremes appeared on each end was that the Dems and GOP were almost indistinguishable for a while. sort of like Coke and Pepsi

You take that back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back