• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Presidential Election 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
mariomike said:
Credibility and popularity are two different things.

And we're going to learn just how true that is after the US election, as an example that's on topic on this thread. I'm going to rely on it as one of my best indicators. I don't expect many others will pay much attention to it though.

:cheers:

Remius said:
I think more progressives will turn out.  With Clinton they stayed home.  Not because they like Biden but he isn’t Clinton and they want Trump gone.

It may be a reverse of the last time with A segment of republicans Staying home.

This, probably more than anything else was largely responsible for his win last time. It's also something, IMHO that the DNC has yet to recognize and deal with. Getting the abstainers to vote, and getting them to vote Democrat, especially in the swing states, will be key.

That being said, it will be difficult to parse if any one factor determines why the GOP lost, if that's the result, due to all the crowing from the various corners.

Forget polls.  Read what critical Democratic supporters are writing.  Their assessments will, in most cases, be a synthesis of everything they are getting from public and private (Democrat-sponsored) polls, plus everything Democratic insiders and others are concluding.    Disregard others' (or your own) wishful thinking.

Some things they are worried about:
- Minnesota (!) might be in play
- Biden may be too late changing direction on the 30,000 foot Democratic view of protests and riots
- measured shifts in black voting intention

Brad Sallows said:
Forget polls.  Read what critical Democratic supporters are writing.  Their assessments will, in most cases, be a synthesis of everything they are getting from public and private (Democrat-sponsored) polls, plus everything Democratic insiders and others are concluding.    Disregard others' (or your own) wishful thinking.

Some things they are worried about:
- Minnesota (!) might be in play
- Biden may be too late changing direction on the 30,000 foot Democratic view of protests and riots
- measured shifts in black voting intention

And in the same respect Brad, count the number of Repubs that have abandoned ship and become Dem supporters.

Personally, I can enjoy the luxury of not really caring all that much who wind. Both sides are still stuck in the establishment American way and that's not working for the ordinary people. In a lot of considerations Biden is just going to prolong the agony while Trump would likely bring everything crashing down around him in another 4 years.

My biggest consideration is how either of them will influence world security. Trump appears to be the best bet as regards relations with Russia. China? it's a toss up.

Donald H said:
In a lot of considerations Biden is just going to prolong the agony while Trump would likely bring everything crashing down around him in another 4 years.

That's a gloomy prediction! I've been thinking about moving to Northern Arizona when things settle down a bit.

>count the number of Repubs that have abandoned ship and become Dem supporters.

Why?  Many already jumped in 2016 and are not new "wins" for the Democrats, and I doubt the number of prominent Republicans who get press attention when they announce their changes of allegiance is more than a rounding error.

5% of black voters would be about 750K votes, and they won't all be in California.

Brad Sallows said:
>count the number of Repubs that have abandoned ship and become Dem supporters.

Why?  Many already jumped in 2016 and are not new "wins" for the Democrats, and I doubt the number of prominent Republicans who get press attention when they announce their changes of allegiance is more than a rounding error.

5% of black voters would be about 750K votes, and they won't all be in California.

Agree.  An important distinction.  Does anyone really think McCain, Kasich, Flake, Ryan, or any of the other GOP never trumpers votes for him in 2016?  If anything, Trump will get more establishment GOP votes this time than the last due to his record on the economy, jobs, Supreme Court etc.  What’s important to note is the significant number of dems switching over.

https://trendingpolitics.com/so-many-dems-called-into-c-span-to-support-trump-that-network-had-to-change-its-protocol/

QV said:
https://trendingpolitics.com/so-many-dems-called-into-c-span-to-support-trump-that-network-had-to-change-its-protocol/

Never heard of that one. So, I looked it up. In case anyone is interested,

Overall, we rate Trending Politics Right Biased and Questionable based on poor sourcing, promotion of propaganda, and conspiracy theories as well as several failed fact checks.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/trending-politics/

So when you looked things up, did you bother to look up whether C-SPAN changed its protocol or not?

Man, I am getting so confused about politics stateside. China makes an appearance in the int community (yeah, I know)

China's anti-Trump election meddling raises new alarm, as DNI calls country biggest threat
'China poses a greater national security threat to the U.S. than any other nation,' DNI says

By Brooke Singman | Fox News

Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe told Fox News that China poses “a greater national security threat” to the United States “than any other nation,” detailing a web of threats that includes “election influence and interference.”

Intelligence officials say they are increasingly concerned about interference in the U.S. election by China, adding to existing concerns about meddling by Russia that have been around since 2016, as well as the threat of meddling from Iran.

“China poses a greater national security threat to the U.S. than any other nation – economically, militarily and technologically. That includes threats of election influence and interference,” Ratcliffe told Fox News in a statement.

While Russia was widely seen as favoring now-President Trump and generally seeking to sow chaos in America during the 2016 election, the difference with China is it is seen to be seeking a Trump loss in November. Yet congressional Democrats like House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, who ever since 2016 have issued dire warnings about Russian meddling, have not been quite so vocal about China’s potential to interfere in the 2020 election.

Pelosi, D-Calif., last week said the threats of interference from Russia and China are “not equivalent,” while urging the intelligence community to put out more information about Russian efforts, saying Moscow is “actively 24/7 interfering in our election.”

Ratcliffe said the threat from China is actually significant, and he is “committing the IC resources needed to fully understand the threat posed by China and provide U.S. policymakers with the best intelligence to counter China’s broad and deep malign activities.”

More here at Fox News

I promise guys to not post another article for at least a day; That said, I hate it when the pope wades into politics.
Stick with saving souls and get out of politics.

The Vatican Goes to Bat for Biden
FrancisChurch provides him with cover.

by GEORGE NEUMAYR

https://spectator.org/the-vatican-goes-to-bat-for-biden/

In 2016, the Vatican was pulling for Hillary Clinton. Just days before the presidential election, Pope Francis renewed his criticism of politicians who speak about erecting “walls.” This led Slate and other publications to run such headlines as “It Sure Sounds Like Pope Francis Doesn’t Think Americans Should Vote for Trump.”

Several Francis-friendly prelates ran interference for Hillary Clinton. San Jose’s bishop, Patrick McGrath, wrote a letter to his flock in which he said that Donald Trump’s complaint of a rigged system “borders on the seditious.” According to the Italian press, many of Pope Francis’s aides viewed Trump’s victory as a “bitter defeat.”

In 2020, the Vatican is once again running interference for a pro-abortion Democrat. Joe Biden fashions himself as a Pope Francis Catholic. He brags about his cozy relationship with Pope Francis. In 2016, the Vatican invited Joe Biden to a conference about medicine, a scandalous invite given that Biden supports making scientific use of aborted embryos. Biden gushed about the anti-capitalism of Pope Francis:

LINK

shawn5o said:
The Vatican Goes to Bat for Biden

Possibly, or possibly not, worth mentioning, if elected, Joe will only be the second Catholic president.

The first, and so far only, Catholic president was John F. Kennedy.

Sixty years after JFK, wait continues for the second Catholic president
https://www.ncronline.org/news/politics/sixty-years-after-jfk-wait-continues-second-catholic-president

shawn5o said:
I promise guys to not post another article for at least a day; ...

Post all you want. If you want to make a promise, promise to try reading something a bit more balanced than the American Spectator.

;D

Fox news is most likely pulling a fast one by saying that China supports Biden. There's no reason why China should and a few reasons why they would prefer Trump. Sounds too much like a spin attempt to cancel out the plain fact that Russia is supporting Trump.

I’d love to know where you get your information: Russia supporting Trump. 

Most people here believe Fox is a pro Trump network, but I guess Chris Wallace or Donna Brazile (and some others) don’t count.

QV said:

Russian interference in the 2020 United States elections
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_interference_in_the_2020_United_States_elections
"In February and August 2020, United States Intelligence Community experts warned members of Congress that Russia is interfering in the 2020 presidential election in President Donald Trump's favor."

QV said:

Russia's state media outlets.  Especially RT.com. I've never really heard anyone say that Putin and Trump aren't buddies. This is the reason why I still think that Trump is their best choice for world peace.

Most people here believe Fox is a pro Trump network, but I guess Chris Wallace or Donna Brazile (and some others) don’t count.

Fox news as always been rightist of course, but now they aren't so convincingly so. Their more reputable announcers such as Shepherd Smith, Chris Wallace, and sometimes others are speaking out against Trump.

Then there's Fox noise with Hannity, Ingraham, and Tucker who aren't really news, they're just Fox noise that are the equivalent of Maddow, Chris Heyes, and company.

>Fox news is most likely pulling a fast one by saying that China supports Biden.

"China is concerned that President Trump's reelection would lead to a continuation of policies that they perceive to be 'anti-China,'" Ratcliffe explained, noting that the intelligence community has briefed "hundreds of members of Congress" to raise their concerns about China "and its increased efforts to impact the U.S. policy climate in its favor."

Blame Ratcliffe.

Brad Sallows said:
>Fox news is most likely pulling a fast one by saying that China supports Biden.

Blame Ratcliffe.

China's leadership is divided at best but one of their main talking points is that Trump makes it easier for China by destroying America.
The Dems also have traditionally been the hardest to deal with on free and fair trade with Canada, as one example. They've always been more concerned with the average American worker while the Repubs are always more interested in selling out the farm to China and other countries.  Trump can only pretend to not be a corporatist so he can con his base which is made up of ordinary Americans.

Read more widely.  The exchange of working class voters (moving D to R) and Wall Street class voters (moving R to D) has been commented on widely for the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back