• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More....

You may have a minor allergy.  Try using soap and water only after shaving.  I have a problem with aftershave lotions, so I don't use them at all (well hardly).

GW

I have one thing to say:

Gillette Mach III

I used to get razor burn all the time...until I tried out the Mach III...its pricy but worth it...and you don't have to change the blades all the time.

Well I use the Schick with 4 blades and it's a good razor. How often should you be changing the blades?

Four blades can mean four times the irritation.  Try a razor with fewer blades and see if it makes any difference. 

Electric,

Used to get little cut and bumps all around my Adam's Apple and a couple of inchs to each side.  Switched to electric around 12 years ago and would never go back.  Have gone through three razors in that time.  Give your face a week or so to get used to it and buy a decent razor and you should be fine (unless your one of those people who can use electrics...).  A good rechargable should last a week or so on a charge so you can take it on short TDs, or just buckle down and use a normal blade in the field if conditions dont allow for electric.
Yep the Mach 3 is nice, took it to the UK with me recently and used it there.  Got around five or six shaves from a blade before I noticed a degradation in qualitity, but I have a fairly heavy beard.

I use the Mach 3 razor too and I have been very happy with it. As ReadyAyeReady said, its a little pricy but its well worth it.

I also use to get extremely irritated where I would shave regardless of what aftercare I used or how I shaved.
I switched to electric and I will never go back unless I have to.
A decent electric is worth the investment, however there are obviously certain times you can't use it..

I use a Mach 3t oo and love it, but I too have very sensitive skin, and thick hair.

I get the nicks and burns as well.  but it is funny some days I do, some I don't.

I Should have become a Pioneer

tess

I use the old fashioned Gillette "safety razor", usually with normal shaving cream. I put on some warm soapy water first, then lather. (right now in A'stan I'm using shaving "cakes" that produce lather...). I use a sharp blade (keep replacing it often) and I get a very close shave (much better than any electric I have ever tried...) with no irritation.

I think alot of it has to do with skin and hair types. My son, who is a much hairier guy than me, gets hideous razor burn and sometimes has to stop shaving for a couple of days-he uses MachIII. Cheers.

You guys got it all wrong.  It isn't the blade that determines whether you get razor burn... it is the protection you use!  I use to get nasty razor burn if I shaved every day or so.  I tried Mach III, expensive electric shavers, cheap one blade Bic shavers.... and I always got razor burn.

So I started changing my shaving cream.  After many trips to the drug store I finally found one shaving cream that doesn't give me razor burns.

Aveeno - Therapeutic Shave Gel is what you need. (there are many different kinds of Aveeno.... make sure you get the 'Therapeutic Shave Gel.'  It has the navy blue cap.)  It is just as expensive as any other shaving cream on the market and can be easily found in any drug store.

Now I can use any razor (I am currently shaving with the Schick disposiable, two blade razors.  Very cheap and easy to find, excellent close shave) and I do not get even a hint of razor burn or bumps even after shaving five or six days in a row.

Hope this helps guys.

Ive never used an electric razor but i was wondering what it would be like...

do you still get razor burn from it? can it be used when you have thick growth...? and last of all where can i find one? cause ive looked around and cant seem to find one.

You can get a bit of irritation, but its normally gone within a few minutes.  Make sure you get a razor with a trimmer attachment and use that for any longer hairs.  If you don't keep it clean you will miss a lot but brush it out daily and it should be fine.
Try Zellers, Walmart, or Canadian Tire, they all carry a bunch of different types.

Thanks for your replays everyone, I think I got enough info to work on the way I shave and stop the burn.

As for the whole topic of electric razors... I have had experience with them and I find that when using electric razors I get even more razor burn from it then I would from a razor.

Cheers.

Now that i've got youre attention ;), I'm having some problems with shaving. Now i know there is a thing on shaving lurking around somewhere i cant find it, so gladly redirect me to there if you need.....Anyways, i just started using a razor, before i used an electric but it didnt produce results. So i got a Mach 3 razor and some Aloe Vera based cream. Since ive started shaving ive been gettin red bumps all across the places i shaved. This is not from cutting myself as there is no blood on the surface. It almost looks like pimples ???. Now someone tells me it could be a ingrown hair, a different person told me its just a few pimples. 

Any Advice would be great!!!!!!!!

Use warmer water.  It makes a difference for me.

The red bumps are razor burn.  Try getting an shaving cream with extra moisturizer.  Shave in the shower.  I had the same problem and the extra moisture/humidity from the hot water in the shower helped alot.  Also make sure the razor is nice and sharp.

Shaving in the shower is the way to go...

I do it as scm77 said, and it's worked for me ever since. As well, dont scratch if you feel some irritation after shaving, that will go away after a half hour of so. If you scratch, you'll just promote break out.

Alex252 said:
Now that i've got youre attention ;), I'm having some problems with shaving. Now i know there is a thing on shaving lurking around somewhere i cant find it, so gladly redirect me to there if you need.....Anyways, i just started using a razor, before i used an electric but it didnt produce results. So i got a Mach 3 razor and some Aloe Vera based cream. Since ive started shaving ive been gettin red bumps all across the places i shaved. This is not from cutting myself as there is no blood on the surface. It almost looks like pimples ???. Now someone tells me it could be a ingrown hair, a different person told me its just a few pimples.  

Any Advice would be great!!!!!!!!

It's neither, actually. It is a typical case of razor burn. Soak your skin in warm water before you shave, the red bumps are caused by the friction of the blades on dry skin. Also, try using a brand of shaving cream for sensitive skin. If none of those work, switch to a dry shaver, they generally prevent irritation.

It's razor burn.
Shave in the shower, shave often, use sensitive skin shaving cream...

Sometimes I find using moisturizer after shaving helps alot.

Good luck,
Lex

You may end up just having to deal with it after a while.
Right after a shower seems to work well for me, and make sure you use a sharp razor.
I still get razor burn tho, even when I do use warm water, sharp blade and after shave.  I've found that if you buy some Tea Tree oil and use it before you go to bed it will actually help, but watch out for the smell. :-X

Back