• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Next Conservative Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
jollyjacktar said:
In the fullness of time, Trudeau will eventually suck in your opinions.  He will fall in favour of anything but him, they all do sooner or later.

Oh no doubt.  I'm just not there yet.  I predict I might be in the middle of his second term.

If I had to pick someone right now amongst the inmates currently running for the CPC it would be Maxime Bernier.  So far his positions have been reasoned and he seems to have a good temperament to take on Trudeau or at least hold him accountable.  I don't agree with all of his positions but at least he can outline his opinions in a very effective way.  I truly hope that he can give the Prime Minister a run for his money.  I also hope he can keep his party intact through all of this.     

I predict a Trudeau victory and Liberal majority in 2019, no matter who the Leader of the CPC is.

That leader steps down, and good old Pete is finally ready to enter the ring. CPC victory in 2023.

However, Pete's east coast liberal values are too centre-right for the more conservative-western factions of the party, and the old Alliance factions split from the CPC; NDP victory 2027....

recceguy said:
I'll disagree. We know the difference between provincial and federal parties. The majority of the people I know in Ontario reserve just as much, if not more, scorn for Trudeau as they have for Wynne. This is not a mistake of misidentifying the criminals because of their allegiance. It's an allegiance to an organisation borne of deceit, blackmail, bribery, theft, nepotism, kickbacks, falsehoods and dictatorship. Nobody is mistaking the provincial liebrals with the feds. They are an equally hated combination.

Disagree. Most voters are uninformed and ignorant, especially the young ones (and I'm relatively young compared to most). They don't even know what a Federal system of government is, let alone how party politics works between Federal and Provincial levels.

As for the part I highlighted in yellow, which party were you referring to? I feel like you could have been referring to any of them...

In this recent interview, Stephen Harper talks about Canada's position with Israel and his opinion of the BDF movement.  Note his comments on the UN, as not being a collection of "Democratic Nations" but a collection of "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNwfZcGeUwk

STOP THE PRESSES  Kevin O'Leary has pulled out and is backing Maxime Bernier.  :o

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/kevin-oleary-drops-out-endorses-bernier-1.4086583

That makes things interesting. A Bernier lock on the leadership, now (as much as I am hoping for O'Toole)?

That still won't sway me towards Bernier.  Somehow, his Security faux pas still sticks to my mind as being a RISK.

SeaKingTacco said:
That makes things interesting. A Bernier lock on the leadership, now (as much as I am hoping for O'Toole)?

I don't think so. I believe that O'Toole, Scheer and maybe even Chong have a better ground game and a chance to really gain on the second ballot.

George Wallace said:
That still won't sway me towards Bernier.  Somehow, his Security faux pas still sticks to my mind as being a RISK.
I'm sure you'll vote for the CPC in an election regardless of whether Bernier is leader or not.

Altair said:
I'm sure you'll vote for the CPC in an election regardless of whether Bernier is leader or not.

Unlike Diehard Liberals who never seem to change their colours, I have done so several times.  I would prefer to vote for the best member of my Riding than for the Leader.  The Party Platform would be the next qualifier for me; is their Platform more in line with my desires than the other Parties.  If I actually despise a Leader, and I have no other options (Party Platform and Riding candidates), then I confess, I may not vote.

George Wallace said:

It may not have enough of an impact.....the mail in votes are largely already sent...

I wonder hoe many of the folks that bought memberships on O'Leary are now feeling buyer's remorse and feeling cheated?  I know I would have been royally pissed off if I was one of them.  Especially as I still have my doubts about Maxime as I just can't easily get past his security faux pas, albeit long since past.

GAP said:
It may not have enough of an impact.....the mail in votes are largely already sent...

I was told the party wasn't even mailing out the ballots until the end of April and I should receive my ballot the first week of May... by someone at the party HQ when I inquired about my membership status prior to leaving on 28 March.

George Wallace said:
Unlike Diehard Liberals who never seem to change their colours, I have done so several times.  I would prefer to vote for the best member of my Riding than for the Leader.  The Party Platform would be the next qualifier for me; is their Platform more in line with my desires than the other Parties.  If I actually despise a Leader, and I have no other options (Party Platform and Riding candidates), then I confess, I may not vote.

Please don't do that, I can never imagine not voting.  Too many have paid too much to not vote. 

George Wallace said:
My voting history.

2006 LPC

2008 Bloc

2011 Abstained, all the leaders disgusted me.

2015 LPC

So I've only voted LPC twice in 4 elections.

Might have voted CPC in the upcoming 2019, but O'Leary is out now so probably not.

My point wasn't to say you're a CPC diehard, but more to say that I can't see you voting for Trudeau over Bernier or whatever left wing wacko the NDP settles on over Bernier.

I am not surprised, though I have not done so myself. In 2008, a bloc vote was not a vote for independence in Qc, It was a vote against the scandal ridden Liberal party of the time (remember that is the days following shortly on the heels of the investigation into their financing scandal, still) by those who could still not let themselves swing to the point of voting CPC.

jollyjacktar said:
Bloc.....?  :facepalm:
I was still voting QLP and ADQ provincially, not PQ, so don't paint me as a separatist. I couldn't bring myself to vote for the LPC, I had no use for the CPC, the NDP was a non entity in Quebec, so that left the bloc,  who had no power to do anything to promote separatism in Ottawa, but did swing left on issues.
Oldgateboatdriver said:
I am not surprised, though I have not done so myself. In 2008, a bloc vote was not a vote for independence in Qc, It was a vote against the scandal ridden Liberal party of the time (remember that is the days following shortly on the heels of the investigation into their financing scandal, still) by those who could still not let themselves swing to the point of voting CPC.
Exactly, and in the days of minority governments the bloc vote actually had some weight at the time.

Nothing could compel me to ever vote for a separatist party, provincial or federal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back