• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Next Conservative Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps a fringe candidate to make the remainder appear more centrist.

Wait, haven't we seen that somewhere before?

I'll be curious to see how Kelly Leitch and Stephen Blais will frame their current strategy in the wake of the Quebec mosque tragedy and events in the US.  Will they be more muted and steer away from their current platforms or will they double down.

Either way Mad Max seems to be winning the fundraising race (although we haven't confirmed Kevin O'Leary's total to date since he joined the race)

Remius said:
I'll be curious to see how Kelly Leitch and Stephen Blais will frame their current strategy in the wake of the Quebec mosque tragedy and events in the US.  Will they be more muted and steer away from their current platforms or will they double down.

Either way Mad Max seems to be winning the fundraising race (although we haven't confirmed Kevin O'Leary's total to date since he joined the race)

The numbers tell us much more than just dollars...

Max has more donors than Leitch, Scheer, and O'Toole combined (they are #2, #3, and #4 in number of donors). The average donation of each donor is more than half that of Scheer, O'Toole, Chong, and Raitt. The width and depth of his support surpasses everyone of a known quantity... of course, O'Leary remains the unknown for the next little while until some data can be collected.

Well some trouble for Dr. Leitch.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/kellie-leitch-s-campaign-manager-nick-kouvalis-resigns-1.3268975

Different points on the conservative continuum/spectrum ...
Peter Mackay, one of the people who helped create the modern Conservative Party, says positions on immigration from one leadership candidate may damage the party's brand.

MacKay was asked what he thought about Kellie Leitch's policy to screen immigrants for what she terms "Canadian values."

The question of what are Canadian values is far from clear, MacKay said.

"When you drill down into that type of discussion the first question that comes to mind is, who makes that decision? And what is that bar going to be? And how possibly could somebody coming from a country that has no understanding of what it means to be a Canadian meet that criteria?," MacKay told CBC ...

Any Conservative leader, if they're smart, should stay the heck away from any policy to do with immigration, religion, etc and focus their 100% attention running a campaign based on a strong economic platform. 

Humphrey Bogart said:
Any Conservative leader, if they're smart, should stay the heck away from any policy to do with immigration, religion, etc and focus their 100% attention running a campaign based on a strong economic platform.

So libertarian then?  The guns, god and gays vote is a massive problem that really inhibits the CPC and yet it sustains them.  So much of the active conservative members are keyed into that paradigm and are the easy ones to whip up for party funding and volunteers.  The left libertarians, libertarian and activism voters and pretty much everyone on the bottom of the political compass have no home in Canada, and I think Max might be giving them something to vote for.  If I were a party member he would have my vote for sure.

Two thumbs up to Humphrey and Underway.

Humphrey Bogart said:

This. That cultural practices hotline bullshit was what really solidified my vote, a lifelong Conservative one, by the way, for the Liberals.

Peter MacKay as leader could get me thinking blue again. Leitch or O'Leary would almost ensure my vote staying with the fair haired one.

Scott said:
This. That cultural practices hotline bullshit was what really solidified my vote, a lifelong Conservative one, by the way, for the Liberals.

Peter MacKay as leader could get me thinking blue again. Leitch or O'Leary would almost ensure my vote staying with the fair haired one.

Trump?  Lisa Raitt?  Trudeau is more of a dark haired type... [Xp

But yes, agreed.  I'm on the same page as you.

Scott said:

Nothing short of a serious, life altering blow to the head could ever compel me to vote for the current PM and crew.  While I wasn't a fan of the cultural practices nonsense either I felt then as I do now that Justin was not (nor ever shall be) ready.  None of the big three got my vote as MacKay wasn't on the table to consider anymore.  I like the economic sense of O'Leary far more than Trudeau.

jollyjacktar said:
Nothing short of a serious, life altering blow to the head could ever compel me to vote for the current PM and crew.  While I wasn't a fan of the cultural practices nonsense either I felt then as I do now that Justin was not (nor ever shall be) ready.  None of the big three got my vote as MacKay wasn't on the table to consider anymore.  I like the economic sense of O'Leary far more than Trudeau.

He may never be ready, but I feel differently than you do about not voting big three, and so I had a choice to make between them. The math was simple: I felt I needed a change from Harper; I wouldnot/couldnot vote for the beard; and the Libs ran a rookie with pretty decent chops locally in peter's seat. Made it pretty easy.

Much as it pisses some of the angrier Conservatives off, the next Conservative leader will not be trying to woo them. It's voters like you and I they want. And Angry Earl types ain't gonna get me away from Shiny Pony and his dreamy hair.

Scott said:
He may never be ready, but I feel differently than you do about not voting big three, and so I had a choice to make between them. The math was simple: I felt I needed a change from Harper; I wouldnot/couldnot vote for the beard; and the Libs ran a rookie with pretty decent chops locally in peter's seat. Made it pretty easy.

Much as it pisses some of the angrier Conservatives off, the next Conservative leader will not be trying to woo them. It's voters like you and I they want. And Angry Earl types ain't gonna get me away from Shiny Pony and his dreamy hair.

I agree about the beard, totally.  Quite frankly, I had had enough of all the big three's shit and they were getting SFA from me.  I am in Nottawa right now so could not be back home to see the new models in person.  Mind you, I am at the end of Central Nova's territory before it turns into the Eastern Shore/Sackville (thanks, Paul Martin, for that) and as such the candidates don't come down or give a shit for us (almost) city folks there.  I get it, it's not Pictou or Stellarton etc.  Anyhow, I saw there was an independent running and they got my vote, that way I still was able to vote and fuck off the big three at the same time.  And hopefully the independent got enough votes from guys like me to get their deposit back as I knew there was no way they were getting the seat.  Seeing as how the Liberals have conveniently forgotten already who gave them the Atlantic Provinces, guys like you, Scott, and are treating them with the same indifference as Harper did at the end, I suppose there is no change at all.

Status quo. I am not hurt by anyone ignoring me ;D

I've since moved to Dominic LeBlanc's riding and adopting a wait and see approach. If the Conservatives run someone of substance there, and they have a leader I can take seriously, I would consider throwing my vote back to them.

Repeating what's been written here many times, but the CPC really needs to get the message: figure out how to satisfy the socon base with respect to religious freedom while making it clear that imposition of religions and religious imperatives (any) across religious boundaries (any) is not going anywhere, and concentrate on engaging the socon base and the moderate right and centre voters with economic development issues.

Also: water under the bridge (prior resolved issues and programs) that have the support of most of the Orange and Red factions probably have 60+% support of the general population, including support inside the Blue faction.  In each case that's at least a weak concensus that shouldn't be disturbed unnecessarily or without preparing the social/civil ground (via incrementalism, not shock).

I often wonder that so many of them (prominent CPC members) can be so ham-fisted and thick-tongued in the public sphere; I can only conclude that they are so deeply inside small bubbles that they really do not understand that some of what they express is deeply offensive even to people who want to support the CPC.

I suspect that most people want to focus on family, friends, communities, and - perhaps - province.  The people who want a federal government with broad and deep powers and responsibilities are not even a large minority; they are merely loud and persistent.

Brad Sallows said:
I often wonder that so many of them (prominent CPC members) can be so ham-fisted and thick-tongued in the public sphere; I can only conclude that they are so deeply inside small bubbles that they really do not understand that some of what they express is deeply offensive even to people who want to support the CPC.

Oh boy, this is what I have been trying to get out there (here) for some time.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: I do not find the majority of the CPC supporters, or Liberal detractors, here to be even mildly offensive. But the few that are always yelling or just being plain nasty have the effect of completely ruining it for me.

Brad Sallows said:
I suspect that most people want to focus on family, friends, communities, and - perhaps - province.  The people who want a federal government with broad and deep powers and responsibilities are not even a large minority; they are merely loud and persistent.

I'm neither loud nor persistent, but I like the idea of a strong, deep and centralized government.

I dislike centralization for what I think is a sufficient condition: it's inefficient.  Different provinces, regions, municipalities, are all going to have different problems, and different priorities for resolving them.  Compelling everyone into one-size-for-all solutions benefits those for whom the problems were a priority, and is an opportunity cost against those for whom the problems were not a priority.

Lumber said:
I'm neither loud nor persistent, but I like the idea of a strong, deep and centralized government.
So did Trudeau Sr.  I'm not sure it's worked out all that well for Canada ever since.  Besides, strong, deep and centralized governments aren't historically known to govern with a light touch.  Au contraire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back