• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

THE GOOD OLE DAYS

E.R. Campbell said:
1188323-947320850-l.gif

In the days when Old Sweat and I were young, shirt collars were not "fuzed," just made from a double layer of cloth. No amount of starching and ironing could convince a shirt collar to stay straight and neat; enter the "spiffy," a little spring loaded wire gizmo that solved the problem ... usually. The only thing that was certain in life was that yours would break on Thursday evening and the dry canteen would be sold out.

What ever happened to: Lotus boots (for officers)?

I just posted the Spiffy pic on my uncle's facebook page.  Hope he gets a bit of a nostalgia shock from it.

E.R. Campbell said:
1188323-947320850-l.gif

No amount of starching and ironing could convince a shirt collar to stay straight and neat; enter the "spiffy," a little spring loaded wire gizmo that solved the problem ... usually.

A spring-loaded wire gizmo pulled tight close to the neck?  How did you guys not manage to maim/kill yourselves?!

Dimsum said:
A spring-loaded wire gizmo pulled tight close to the neck?  How did you guys not manage to maim/kill yourselves?!

The next time you get to watch a movie from the era, take some time to look at the mens' collars. It was normal to wear a jacket and tie even to go to the grocery store or the movies. Some people wore little horizontal clips that spanned the gap under the tie and gripped both collar points, although in some circles this was considered foppish. Eventually plastic strips appeared that could fit in little pockets on the inside of the collar points, but the Canadian Army did not really go down that road. Hence the spiffy, which crouched with springs compressed at the acme of the Canadian Army's satorial pyramid. (Gawd, I do write some awful stuff before I get enough coffee in me.)

The spiffy generally worked as designed. However it could stab one in the upper chest which was painful. It also could get misaligned and rotate one or both collar points up like little cotton erections. On occasion one arm could lose its grip on the collar point which would cause it to pivot into a position akin to a deranged metal spider attacking one's throat.

The pre unification Navy uniform!  You couldn't help but get laid in that uniform. Even by women! >:D

This thread brings to mind the Four Yorkshiremen.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=01f_1314340424

We had a whole CF with virtually no recent operational experience apart from Peacekeeping.......

wait a minute  :facepalm:

Soon, most of the serving Army senior officers and generals, will have had combat experience, the first time since WWII. I don't think Korea had the same influence on the officer corps as Afghanistan. ERC and Old Sweat will know.

Yes, I believe you are correct: a deployment to a combat theater vice actual combat experience.

Rifleman62 said:
Yes, I believe you are correct: a deployment to a combat theater vice actual combat experience.

Well there is documented evidence that at least one General Officer in the sandbox fired his ....ahem weapon.  8)

Danjanou said:
Well there is documented evidence that at least one General Officer in the sandbox fired his ....ahem weapon.  8)
Negligently, no less ....

Danjanou said:

And I was told while interviewing a senior officer, another fired his for real during a contact, and effectively. He, however, did not use his other ...ahem weapon.

Old Sweat said:
And I was told while interviewing a senior officer, another fired his for real during a contact, and effectively. He, however, did not use his other ...ahem weapon.

Well according to this handy source one GOFO apparently discharged both his issue and "personal" weapon albeit at different times and in different circumstances.  8)

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?id=3649

Danjanou said:
Well according to this handy source one GOFO apparently discharged both his issue and "personal" weapon albeit at different times and in different circumstances.  8)

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?id=3649

Wonder if a BFA was used with the latter...

MM

What is this obsession you guys have with the personal weapons of GOFO's?

You'd almost think that you were talking about their penises.

:rofl:

No mention of RP4's?
With the white chocolate bars, and the jambalaya that consisted of red and green peppers and little else?
Of course, it did have that little tin of very salty bacon....

Back