• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

THE GOOD OLE DAYS

Cleaning your weapon in varsal without cloves or eye protection and guys smoking while cleaning their weapon.
Using those spray cans of rain protection as flame throwers.
Taking the 77 set batteries and using them to power your radio or casette player in the field when your D batteries died.

frisbees, Never thaought of that, we just went to the pet stores and bought plastic dog bowls, great for stew.

Pay parades in the field with armed NCOS (SMGs) standing by the pay table.

Field pay advance issued in cash in on Fallex/Reforger in Dm and not knowing what you'd get because of the exchange rate.

mikeninercharlie said:
. . . .  6 month deployment to Ismailia Egypt.  . . . .
  To ride shotgun on the shytewagon!

Shortarm inspections!

Back when social diseases were perceived to be a greater threat to unit effectiveness than the communist hordes (unless it was a communist *hore).  Individually, it was common in Ismailia to have one or two (and often many more) show up at the MIR every Monday, usually following a jaunt to Tel Aviv, with the request "would you have a look at this, Doc".  However, that paled in comparison to having to collectively check a company of PPCLI during WAINCON for crotch critters when several soldiers brought concurrent infections and infestations (acquired from the same lady) on exercise.

Since, according to a thread that I saw on this site, crabs are on the decline due to a trend in deforestation this may be something seldom done anymore.

Whatever happened to Regimental ascots?

I stumbled upon my French Grey one from 1976 and the newer PPCLI ascot today.

Memories!

Jim Seggie said:

Memories!

For a bit more than two years I banned the wretched things!  :warstory:

But whatever happened to: selecting the "stickman" from the inlying picquet?

When units ran their own messes the orderly officer was responsible for picking up the day's sales from the officers' and sergeants' messes at closing time and depositing them through a chute in a locked safe in the guard room. The next morning the oncoming orderly officer signed for the cash and then deposited it in the local bank. At least, that is how we did it in 1 RCHA in Gagetown.

Over the years there were only two incidents that I recall. One orderly officer left the bag with the deposit in it unattended and it disappeared. He made restitution out of his pay and continued to serve, eventually retiring as a major. The second was more murky: the orderly officer reported he left the cash behind in his desk when he was attending an officer training lecture. It was nowhere to be found and he accused the regimental training building staff  of theft, without proof. However, the situation was murky enough that a criminal investigation was started. Several months later he left on a less than desirable release item. Years and years after the event I asked the officer who was the adjutant at the time about this. He told me that the young man had some fairly heavy debts that were discharged several months after the loss, and an extensive investigation failed to reveal any legitimate source for his windfall. He was given several options, none good, and elected to accept a release along with recovery of the cash from his return of contributions and pay accounts.

Blackadder1916 said:
  To ride shotgun on the shyte wagon

What BA fails to mention, there never was a successful donkey borne IED attack on the airfield during my watch. It must have been the incredible hearts and minds program that I conducted with Zubrik and his handler... BTW,  the only short arm that I looked at while in Ismailia was my own!

mikeninercharlie said:
. . .  It must have been the incredible hearts and minds program that I conducted with Zubrik . . .

What you did with Zubrik is your own business; there are some things that shouldn't be discussed in polite company.

Blackadder1916 said:
What you did with Zubrik is your own business; there are some things that shouldn't be discussed in polite company.

Please please tell me that Zubrik was the bhandler and not the donkey :eek:

Jim Seggie said:

Memories!

Finally! Something that I can relate to!

Whatever happened to: Nursing Sisters in their blue uniforms with brown leather belts and veils?

mumesdras.preview.jpg

She (don't know who she is) is all dressed up (medals, cape and gloves, etc) in this
1954 photo, but you get the idea of what they wore.

The brutal cold hearted days of army.ca (pre-milnet)
and the rainbow reply to dumb posts. 

I've got some dust in my eye, thinking about those days.  ;)

Tinned Cross and Blackwell chocolate walnut cake.
Arctic supplement was it not?

Spiffies. Tried to find one a couple of years ago.

Striker test on the No 36 Grenade.

Jn NCO Crse: Sten, Sterling, BREN, 3.5 RL, No 36 Grenade, brand new FN CI and C2's packed in grease or whatever in the card board box. The butt having the ridges behind the rear sight which, I believe, the C1 removed among other things.

Rifleman62 said:
brand new FN CI and C2's packed in grease or whatever in the card board box.

If I recall correctly, it was cosmoline. Hated the stuff - it was like beeswax only much worse.

Out of curiosity did anyone here do the switch from the Lee Enfields to C1/C2 and was it phased in slowly or was it a more or less instant switch. I am just wondering as you would have gone from a relatively simple rifle to a rifle that requires more maintenance and effort to maintain.

kratz said:
The brutal cold hearted days of army.ca (pre-milnet)
and the rainbow reply to dumb posts. 

I've got some dust in my eye, thinking about those days.  ;)

It might make a comeback if we ever get time to fix broken links. I'm tired of writing other posts in attempt to keep the dumb ones from surfacing. That rainbow post was pure gold for a mod.

Eaglelord17 said:
Out of curiosity did anyone here do the switch from the Lee Enfields to C1/C2 and was it phased in slowly or was it a more or less instant switch. I am just wondering as you would have gone from a relatively simple rifle to a rifle that requires more maintenance and effort to maintain.

I was in the first troop (No. 25) in the RCA Depot not to be issued a Lee-Enfield. As I recall depending where the earlier troops were in the cycle determined what happened, but they had to do the classroom stuff, fire and qualify on the rifle course and learn the new rifle drill. If a troop was still early on, then it was a matter of a few days, but ones closer to graduation spent more than a week. For example if a troop had just learned to slope, present and order arms, it did not take much time to convert them, especially if they had not started weapons training. For a troop nearing graduation, which meant they had qualified on the ranges with the Lee-Enfield, they would have to practice holding, aiming and firing along with IAs, etc, then qualify on the C1 and, of course, learn the new drill.  In my own mind, I'm not sure whether the depot was worried more about marksmanship or drill.

We were trained on the Bren and I personally don't recall much conversion training to the C2 when we received it in the Fall of 1958 in 4 RCHA, perhaps because it shared so many features with the C1. I also was on my Group 1 Technical Assistant course when this took place and may have missed it.

Many years ago as a young Army Cadet, wearing the old Battle Dress c/w puttees and homemade weights for the trouser blousing.

Jim Seggie said:
Ok what is or who is a "spiffie"?

1188323-947320850-l.gif

In the days when Old Sweat and I were young, shirt collars were not "fuzed," just made from a double layer of cloth. No amount of starching and ironing could convince a shirt collar to stay straight and neat; enter the "spiffy," a little spring loaded wire gizmo that solved the problem ... usually. The only thing that was certain in life was that yours would break on Thursday evening and the dry canteen would be sold out.

What ever happened to: Lotus boots (for officers)?

Back