• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

THE GOOD OLE DAYS

DAA

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Let's have some fun this weekend!!!  Don't comment on the posts just RATE them!!!  And if you can think of something to add, then add it on!!!!  BUT your post must start with "What ever happened to........." and I shall go first...

What ever happend to........

The days when someone could call you on the phone and say "My kid applied for the CF and needs a job" and shortly after that, junior is in uniform;  or

When the Sergeant-Major said "Charge parade or extra duties" and you said "I'll take extras SIR!" and extras it was.  No investigation, no questions, nor more problems and you learned from it....

What ever happened to...

"If you have nothing to do, don't do it here."

Whatever happened to....

"What the @#$%^&* are you doing shining your combat boots?  They're COMBAT boots!"

What ever happened to:

1. Spit shining the (leather) soles of boots?

2. Painting and waxing the canvas web gear and polishing the brass buckles in depot, and then, on joining one's first unit, being told to scrub the webbing to bare canvas and repaint the brass with dull, black paint?

3. Pay parades?

4. Having one's own Pay, Service and Medical books on one's person, at all times, which made administration quick, simple, fool proof and cheap?

(Parenthetically: while my memory and experience says our pre-computer/pre-unification administration was better (more efficient, more effective & cheaper (few people)) than it is today, and while our discipline, while strict, even harsh, was a real strength for us, the rest of the good old days weren't all that good: we had, mostly, lousy, antiquated kit, we were poorly paid and some of the Army's socialization was piss poor - too much drinking, too much bullying, and so on.)

What ever happened to:

a. parades with greatcoats on, greatcoats off, greatcoast on right up to the RSM ordering "Markers?"

b. needle parades with huges syringes and no disposable needles?

c. drawing a second poncho and two grey blankets before going to the field for a month on exercise? and

d. the 1/4 ton fitted with an attachment that dripped a stream of kerosene and DDT into the exhaust manifold to fog for mosquito control?

And, speaking of greatcoats, what ever happened to: Marching order as dress for pack drill when on CB?

E.R. Campbell said:
And, speaking of greatcoats, what ever happened to: Marching order as dress for pack drill when on CB?

Speaking of coats, what happened to our duck canvas sheep coats? The ones with buttons like cup saucers.

Or being #2 on the Bren and having to haul that box of mags around?

Swinging the needle on the 42 set and holding the mike against your chest to tune the AMU. Need more range? Stick another section on the antennae and retune.

Listening for zero beats on a 510.

Hmmm. Might have to get into the wine early tonight.

And whatever happened to the variometer on the 19 set?
:camo: Oh, they're gonna so regret waking us old farts up from our afternoon naps.  :nod:

Someone wake me up when they start talking fondlly  about tossing their India Pattern Muskets in boiling water to clean out the powder residue and twisting their hair into ponytails and coveriing it with grease and powder. 8)

Chicken A La Spew.

Pig of the Port..

My dad was air det...I heard some stories.

Whatever happened to button sticks, mugs enamel and ration bags?

(The latter two being amongst the (relatively few) very practical things I was ever issued; each did its job perfectly.)

E.R. Campbell said:
Whatever happened to button sticks, mugs enamel and ration bags?

(The latter two being amongst the (relatively few) very practical things I was ever issued; each did its job perfectly.)

I still have my button stick and ration bag. I must've left the cup somewhere when it ran out of booze ;D

Found my issue knife with the marlin spike on it awhile ago also. Gonna have to soak it in oil to get it open though.

the 48th regulator said:
I can't see the posts because of all the dust flying around!

dileas

tess

Danjanou said:
Someone wake me up when they start talking fondlly  about tossing their India Pattern Muskets in boiling water to clean out the powder residue and twisting their hair into ponytails and coveriing it with grease and powder. 8)

That. Right there.  Is some funny s**t.

WIN

recceguy

Speaking of coats, what happened to our duck canvas sheep coats? The ones with buttons like cup saucers.

Or being #2 on the Bren and having to haul that box of mags around?

Swinging the needle on the 42 set and holding the mike against your chest to tune the AMU. Need more range? Stick another section on the antennae and retune.

Listening for zero beats on a 510.

You old enough to remember that?

Add the 509 set for the zero beats. The 26 set for simplicity. Took my Group 1 Sigs the winter of 1963/64.

Never carried a box of BREN mags around in the field though. As No 1, you only burned your left hand finger tips of the ejection cover closing once.

Button stick issued for Rifle Regt. Still got it and my brass button brush which I always used (and still do ) to brush my beret.

Rifleman62 said:
recceguy

You old enough to remember that?

Add the 509 set for the zero beats. The 26 set for simplicity. Took my Group 1 Sigs the winter of 1963/64.

Never carried a box of BREN mags around in the field though. As No 1, you only burned your left hand finger tips of the ejection cover closing once.

Button stick issued for Rifle Regt. Still got it and my brass button brush which I always used (and still do ) to brush my beret.

Yes.

Yes, I am.

The Bren was my first MG learned. After that it was 1919's in .30 Browning (.30-06), along with the Sten. We'll throw in the 3.5 rocket launcher for shits and giggles.
The radios ditto and the coats were issued for winter ranges then taken back afterwards (always wanted to find a good one and keep it.)
I wore Battle dress in winter and Bush in summer and saw more than one set of TW's turned pink ;)

And because we did not have winter kit, we wore the issue felt overshoe with three pair of wool socks. The sweater, high neck worn backwards (with the high part forward covering the throat) kept the delightful Petawawa winter breezes at bay, at least for a while.

There was a shortage of PMQs and Petawawa village was no more than a whistle stop. Most of the married troops lived in Pembroke, but could not afford a car, or had never learned to drive. Every unit in Camp Petawawa ran a shuttle back and forth using 2 1/2 tons to pick up troops and bring them to work and then take them home. The troops rode in the back which must have been a treat in the winter.

Old Sweat said:
And because we did not have winter kit, we wore the issue felt overshoe with three pair of wool socks. The sweater, high neck worn backwards (with the high part forward covering the throat) kept the delightful Petawawa winter breezes at bay, at least for a while.

There was a shortage of PMQs and Petawawa village was no more than a whistle stop. Most of the married troops lived in Pembroke, but could not afford a car, or had never learned to drive. Every unit in Camp Petawawa ran a shuttle back and forth using 2 1/2 tons to pick up troops and bring them to work and then take them home. The troops rode in the back which must have been a treat in the winter.

When I first got stationed to Pet, the train stopped at Doran St and old Hwy 17 and the conductor tossed my two kit bags out into the dark. I climbed down two steps and jumped into chest deep snow and watched the train go north in the dark, at 22:00 on a Saturday night. Fortunately, I had been to the camp before and knew which way to walk and where the Unit lines were.

Back