• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Going To Esquimalt Thread- PAT, PMQ, Etc.- Merged

You could also volunteer for the Ship's Diver Course.  That's a favourite gap filler.  Lots of running and swimming though...

Ok, thanks for the info. Looks like the best thing to do is look into my options once I arrive in May.

Thanks again

PhilB said:
I spoke with CFHA and as CFB Esquimalt PMQ's are already oversubscribed I, as a single member, cannot rent one as I could in say, WATC.

Gents,

I'm getting posted to good ol' Esquimalt, and my significant other and I (soon to be fiance.. hopefully... just don't tell her that) are planning on moving in together. My question is, since we are not married I am still legally "single". Also, while she has pretty much lived at my house most of the year, she has her own place and we are thus not "common law". Will the CFHA take any of this into consideration when deciding whether or not I deserve a PMQ? Or will my legal status as single be the only consideration?

Cheers,

I did Port Security for 2 years while I was on PAT. Thats a pretty good place to work.

Port security would'nt be a bad go.

I have heard some horror stories from guys who did PAT platoon in the army; inspections, boot polishing parades, PT every morining sometimes during the day also, basically being treated like BMQ recruites. From what I have heard about Esquimalt it seems like that does not happen there, or am I wrong in saying that?

treated (somewhat) like a recruit, but not to the extent of what you're talking about there (comparable to the army) i'm not so sure all that would happen to you in esquimalt

unless you were on birds (in ca-ca) maybe, but a couple inspections a week might happen, which would happen likely at any school teaching ql3.

The OSQAB that Pusser is referring to is now called NETP, Naval Environmental Training Program. You attend a short course then finish up the training with an OJT onboard ship.

After your NETP, you might want to talk to your PAT boss and request to be TD'ed to a ship. You can finish up your NETP and get sailing experience. With any luck, you could tuck in some ports under your belt and be the envy of your future coursemates.

In virtue of your rank, you will be expected to show leadership. Don't think there picking on you because you are put in charge of a group of PATs. Take advantage of this... Ol' crusty chiefs will work for killicks that work hard and show leadership.

As far as inspections, you are in the Navy now. We tend to be more lenient on thing like that. But we do have them, so be up to snuff.

RumRunner said:
In virtue of your rank, you will be expected to show leadership. Don't think there picking on you because you are put in charge of a group of PATs. Take advantage of this... Ol' crusty chiefs will work for killicks that work hard and show leadership.

I half expected that I might be put in some sort of leadership position while in PAT. Honestly, bring it on. Anything that gets me noticed in a positive way, and furthers my career is welcomed.

That's some pretty negative commentary there Silverbirdtank.  I gather you've had some experience with this sort of thing?  It's always interesting to see that negative things often happen to negative people (but it's never their fault ^-^).  Security clearances do not suddenly appear and people are not instantly loaded and sent on course when they do.  In the process of approving a request for a dive course, the possibility of being loaded on an upcoming QL3 will be taken into account.  If there's a chance you will loaded on a QL3 that conflicts with the dive course in question, then dive course won't be approved.  It really is that simple.  In this life, it is often best to state your position, ask for what you want and then let the chips fall where they may.  The one surefire way to not get what you want is to never ask for it.  The bottom line for PATs is to ask for what you want.  You just might get it.  As for inspections, as long as you show up on time and in the correct dress, life is pretty easy.

I realize my post came across as negative and it wasn't meant to be so much negative as cynical or a form of amusement. My remarks were taken very personally by some and that is very regretable.

I know my comment is no longer there for reference but I said basicly the same thing you have said there Pusser and that is that a PAT can not go on any course that will run for a duration that would overlap the beginning of a 3's course in case of the event that sec clearance came in and the individual was on a secondary course.

This is very simple and I never stated it was difficult but was showing and yes in a cynical/negative way that this would mean, next to no possibilities for any NAV COMM pat to participate in the Dive course in question or many others.

I myself was fortunate enough to spend this last week on a base security course as well as being a demo platoon for a pilot naval boarding part combat first aid training. I enjoyed my time with both these taskings immensely and that is the truth.

So in closing i'd like to state I enjoy my time here a lot and that I never meant any ill regard towards the system in place because it is an essential step in becoming a NAV COMM. I personally enjoy my position as a NAV COMM pat and my opinion is far to cynical for the reality of the situation.

Pusser said:
... It really is that simple.  In this life, it is often best to state your position, ask for what you want and then let the chips fall where they may.  The one surefire way to not get what you want is to never ask for it.  ...

:cheers: Well said.

Can someone give an example of a day for Pat platoon in Esquimalt? Hours etc... I should be there in 3 weeks and expected to spend quite a bit of time in PAT, I need Top Secret... I am hoping to live off-base with my common law, that does not seem to be a problem from what I heard so far... :salute:

MasterInstructor said:
Can someone give an example of a day for Pat platoon in Esquimalt? Hours etc... I should be there in 3 weeks and expected to spend quite a bit of time in PAT, I need Top Secret... I am hoping to live off-base with my common law, that does not seem to be a problem from what I heard so far... :salute:

Do they still have the painted rocks at the entrance to Naden?  ;D

Occam said:
Do they still have the painted rocks at the entrance to Naden?  ;D

No.  Now they have guns on pedastals - the ones I learned naval gunnery on - that need to be scraped and painted.... ;D

I will be posted soon to esquimalt and I' appreciate for who can give me the answer of some questions. I would like to know how much is the PLD paid when you posted to esquimalt... and how much you need to spend monthly based on an average level (what is the rental price for a 1 or 2 bed room apartment.. how much do you have to pay for a car insurance..)

Have you bothered searching for yourself before posting? 

I googled "Canadian Forces PLD" and the first hit was http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/ps/db-as/pld-ivc/index-eng.asp and from there you can access http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pub/cbi-dra/205-eng.asp#sec-45. 

I then went on kijiji.ca and found some places to rent in the Victoria area.

All that in 5 minutes, including typing this message.

Seeing we're on the subject, I looked at the ref: and am at a loss for modern acronyms.  I was wondering what is the LOA (living out allowance) for an OS in Hfx. 
Also what is the method used to determine pts for sea pay. To move from one increment to another.
old army and out of touch. This is to settle a point of discussion.
Thanks 

Back