• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Going To Esquimalt Thread- PAT, PMQ, Etc.- Merged

GIJANE

Inactive
Reaction score
My husband is a mechanic and is wanting to get posted to Esquimalt, he'll be getting promoted and posted, we find out in January, problem is i'm Arty   ??? what will i do there? just wanted to know what everyone thinks of BC, my husband is from there.

GIJANE

Not sure if you're in Shilo but out here in Victoria/Esquimalt you'll feel like you've died and gone to heaven. There is a reserve arty unit here I'm sure they would love a regular force person on site, cheers and good luck, mdh 8)

I'm sure they'd love to have one; question is, do they have a position for one available?  You should really discuss this through your chain of command/career mangler as you might find yourself in separate postings.

You and your hubby are gonna LOVE Esquimalt. The Island is a nice place to be. You could always seek an RSS position at the local Arty unit, but I believe there is a certain minimum rank you must have as well as a posting available. Best of luck on your move.

TM

The only complaint a person can have about Victoria is that things can get a bit pricey.   But because of that there is the PLD, which even though it was recently reduced for the area, still goes a long way to offset the costs.  

Otherwise, Vancouver Island is a great place to live.

Thanks guys, we are married with a little girl so hopefully we will posted together, i was thinking RSS too but i'm only a two bananna and it's at least a M/CPL and above, we are looking at houses online and can't believe the prices!

GIJANE

Try Colwood and Langford on MLS.  It is a bit more reasonable.  Many live as far out as Sooke or Mill Bay, but the commute is a bit of a bugger.

There are also about 80 empty PMQs here, so there is no waiting list, if that interests you.

Good Luck!

LOL..............take some advice, seek out a place in Colwood, Metchosin,or  Langford.  If you can access a Q in Royal Roads..............go for it.  Stay away from Belmont Park.  Thay may not all be bad Q's there, but the one's i've been in are serious pits!

just my 2 cents.

The Q's at Workpoint have nearly all been upgraded, and the Royal Roads ones are fine, but do as the last entry states.....stay away from Belmont Park.

Bill

got shit canned this morning......so now what? who knows, basically my hubby wants me to pick a posting, uh hmmmm lets see Gagetown? and spend the entire summer in the Field with no Field pay?? uh no. Val Cartier? forget it...Pet? nope, so that leaves good old Shilo...or my OT i guess....ARGHHHHH!!!!!Hey nothing wrong with Shilo, wake up in the middle of January to rain....it was -42 yesterday.Today..+3 sheesh...this province ceases to amaze me.

Jane  :-\

Hi: I am new service spouse and we are being posted to Esquimalt and I would like anyone who has lived in the PMQ's in Esquimalt to tell me about them.  Specifically, what condition are they in, would you recommend living in them or should we look at other options.  Also where are they located in relation to the main base? Thanks

There are PMQs in Work Point, close to the Dockyard, some close toNaden and the main patch is in Colwood, so I suppose it depends on where your other will be employed as to whether or not they would be convenient. Traffic from Colwood can be a pain at times. 

Someone with more recent experince would have to tell you about their condition. Some of the ones still in Work Point, at least the last time I flew over were manufactured homes put up in 1981 as a "temporary measure" and appeared still in use.

At the least, if the windows and insulation are sub standard you will not freeze to death as it rarely freezes in winter. Enjoy the West Coast!

Here is the link for Esquimalt CFHA, not sure if you've seen it or not.  Unfortunately, it doesn't show the locations of them.

The Q's that are in and near Dockyard and Naden, are rarely vacant.  Work Point and Belmont Park (Colwood) have the greater vacancy rates.  I just moved from Belmont Park and lived there for almost 5 years.  Yes, it can be an interesting drive into work in the mornings with the traffic, affectionately called the "Colwood Crawl".  It's not a long distance, but it is slow moving.  This can be avoided or lessened if you pick your departure times though.

I had a 3-bedroom single, with a basement.  Be aware that not all of the houses have basements, but there are storage units available.  I was happy with the location (just down the hill from the school and just across the street from a playground).  Prices on civy street are high, especially for what you get, and some of the neighbourhoods that you would have to contend with.  Sure, some of the Q's have seen better days, but overall, they aren't in bad shape at all.  Some have a new extended kitchen with new cupboards, many have new hardwood flooring in them.  The windows aren't the best, it can be quite drafty, but like a78jumper said, you don't notice it much due to the climate there.

You didn't state whether you had kids or not, as that could also play a factor in what you do.  If you do have kids, just beside Belmont Park is CPAC (Canadian Pacific Activity Centre) with a daycare in it run by MFRC, as well as PD Day and summer programs run by PSP.  In the Park itself is another facility, the YAC (Youth Activity Centre) that has before and after school care, as well as many night and weekend activities for older kids and teens.

If you have any other questions, please ask, or PM me.  Oh, and here is the link for the Esquimalt MFRC.  It should have some info on items and activities within the different areas as well.

Thanks for the information, I forgot to mention that we have a couple of teenagers but no small children.  I have never lived on a base but I when I talked to a real estate agent when we almost got posted to Edmonton I was told that they were very depressing and unsafe with lead paint and inferior insulation problems so I don't know if this is accurate to all bases or if some have been brought up to standard? Thanks again for any input.

Marge said:
Thanks for the information, I forgot to mention that we have a couple of teenagers but no small children.  I have never lived on a base but I when I talked to a real estate agent when we almost got posted to Edmonton I was told that they were very depressing and unsafe with lead paint and inferior insulation problems so I don't know if this is accurate to all bases or if some have been brought up to standard? Thanks again for any input.

I wouldn't trust what a Real Estate Agent says about PMQs, if they are trying to sell you a house, even if there is some truth to it.  Did that Agent say the same thing about any of the houses that (s)he was showing?

Just a guess, but the real estate agent might have just been saying things so that you would buy through him instead of renting with the military.  (like George said, but my the site froze on me and wouldn't post)

I haven't heard anything about problems with paint or insulation in Esquimalt.  Although the insulation doesn't matter too much, given the weather.  Depending on how old your teenagers are, they might prefer to not live in Colwood, as it doesn't give them easy or close access for "stuff to do"  (then again, maybe that's a good thing! ;D).  If they are of babysitting age, and are interested in doing that, they will have a full schedule as local sitters are hard to come by.

Overall, I don't recall hearing complaints from any of my neighbours about their PMQs.  Every once in awhile they might have a wet basement, but they seemed to have fixed that all up, at least in the area that I was in.  I also had no problems with CFHA either.

Most of the major problem Q's were believe it or not were on the old Royal Roads grounds. Yes there was lead paint, floor tiles made from asbestos, asbestos covering water pipes etc. It was all removed in the late 90s and early 00s or at least the areas that were identified. This included the exterior paint down to wood, bathroom floors ripped out. All the materials were double bagged and then taken out to the Hartland dump. If I remember correctly it was a two year project.

As for the 'teens' I raised a female out there and using common parental sense had no major problems and very few minor ones. Bus service is good for them to get around and is included in their school fees. Vic is growing so there are a multitude of activities.

I have a PMQ in Esquimalt, a two bedroom single with a basement, and I can't complain about what I've got. The place is small, with only 800sq feet upstairs, and another 800sq feet downstairs, but it suits my needs (and was fine when I was living with my girlfriend). The insulation isn't that great, for sure, and when it's very windy out I can feel a draft coming from the big window in the living room. My solution has been to cover the big window and a couple of the other windows in the house I don't think I'll need to open during the winter with shrinkwrap plastic (you can pick it up at Rona or Home Depot). But as Airmich said, it isn't really that cold, I do it more because I'd rather be efficient and save some money on my natural gas bill.

I'll describe my place, but I haven't been in many other PMQs out here so this is just one example of what you can get. I have hardwood floor in the living room, but the kitchen and bathroom is linoleum, and the bedrooms are older carpet. As typical with older houses the walls are covered in about 10 layers of paint. The exterior is vinyl siding. My basement is unfinished, I use it for a workshop and as storage, although there are basements that have been finished, and there are places without basements.

The Colwood area is nice, it's off the main road so you don't get crazy traffic through the houses, and for the most part only people who should be here are here. It's very close to the Royal Roads grounds for nice walks, it's right on the Galloping Goose Trail (a regional trail that snakes all over Victoria and it's environs), and about a 15min (plus or minus 5 min depending on where in the Colwood PMQs you live) walk from the Esquimalt Lagoon beach. There is a grocery store, library, rec center and several restaurants just down the road from the entrance, along with gas stations and some coffee shops (including two Timmy's).

The biggest problem I see with the PMQs is that some people treat them as rental housing. There are many who don't bother taking care of the exterior of their places at all, but on the other hand there are some that take great pride in their houses and put in a lot of work to make them habitable. My neighbours are quiet and friendly enough, but I think I don't fit in too well as a single person compared to someone with kids and a family. Understandable since this is a family area.

If you have any other questions about the Qs in Esquimalt feel free to ask.

Back