• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Step Test Super Thread

D

Dire

What‘s a good way to practice the step test?
The only thing I can think of is going up 3 stairs and back down but how are the stairs on the step test? Are they really 3 steps of stairs or is it the height of 3 steps of stairs?
http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/tecumseh.htm this test uses blocks which is the height of 3 stairs.
I know I got to run (which I‘am) but I wouldn‘t mind practicing the step test also just to make sure my heart level isn‘t too much..

When I went it was two steps (I assume the floor counts as a step which would then make it three). The test is a cd of a guy saying "up two three, down two three" for three minutes. I wouldn‘t practice for the step test. If you can run even close to the time that they say (2.4km in around 11:00 minutes) there will be absolutely no way you will fail. The step test is quite easy, it‘s just when they move on to the faster pace after the first one that it get‘s tough, but you only have to pass the first one to pass that part of the test.

You must pass the first AND second parts of the step test. If you fail the first part, you wont move on to the rest of the test.

I passed only the first part and passed the step test. It was for the reserves though so there may be a difference.

Genesis

When you say that you passed the first part of the Step Test, do you mean the first stage?

So for the Reserves, if you pass the first stage of the Step Test but fail the second stage, you still pass the test, correct?

Correct...I think

When I did my step test, I finished the third level with a lower pulse than when I entered the physical room :cool:

It must have been anxiety....hehe...

Yup, the lady that gave me the step test said there were a maximum of three, 3 minute parts to the test, each one getting faster. She said you go until you fail and as long as you pass the first one you pass the step test. I only passed the first one and she said I passed. I am trying to become an armoured soldier with the British Columbia Dragoons which is a reserve force so that is probably why I only had to pass the first part.

I also only passed the first part of the step test. Its pretty dumb though, I mean dude is talkin so fast , and the steps are so small that I kept bangin my foot into the stairs. All it is is to see if your heart rate can handle physical activity...

Hehe, the second pat can be a little tricky. If you don‘t concentrate you‘ll miss the step, which I did numerous times.

I don‘t think the steps are as big as household stairs either.

I don‘t think you need to practice the step test, just run, and if you can do the 2.4 you‘ll be fine.

My hert rate was a little bit high when I went into the test, I think my heart has always been hgh, but the person doing the test let it slide luckily.

I didnt have any problems with the 2nd part, cept for when I almost tripped, :dontpanic:

but aside from that lil mistake, I passed it

my heart rate wasnt going that fast, just a little bit faster then normal, that was it

on a side note
I thought you had to pass both phases to pass the test
didnt know you could fail the 2nd part but still pass if you passed the 1st phase

I did the test today, only passed the first part and passed the test. It was for the reserves though.

Heh. When I did the second part of the test, the lady yelled at me to go slower.
The test is a joke.

I tried to practice for the step test, made sure I could go the distance and then a friend just went for express and they did the beep test.
I guess you don‘t realy know what they will do so just be ready for anything. Strongman push-ups too.

I was wondering... how closely in line is the Harvard step test (to measure cardio-vascular health) with the CF step test used during PT?

For those unfamiliar with the Harvard, ref:

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/havard.htm

Thanks...

Not very closely at all.

The CAF step test consists of two steps, not one. Also, you step to the music for only 3 minutes and take the pulse immediately.
You progress through the levels if your heart rate stays under the targeted range for that level and for your age group.

Just as a point of interest, I for one WAS unfamiliar with the Harvard step test reference.

Hello. I had my first PT on 2 days ago and I‘m quite worried that I might have failed the step test. I‘m in vancouver and I did my test at a fitness gym I believe... And the tester was a female (really hot) who was probably a professional trainer. Anyway, my question is, when I was doing my test, I only did 2 sets of step tests that were 3 minutes each. I thought it was 3-5 sets! Maybe my heartrate was too high to go on? Please if anyone knows, tell me the minimum heart rate in order to pass the step test... I ripped apart my other tests... I did 40 pushups and 40 situps and handgrip I dont know but I most defintly passed that one. Also, is the test result based on my overall performance or do I must pass every test in order to pass the whole test? Thank you people!

If you did 2 sets then you passed.

The most they make anyone do is 3.

If you flunk out after the first, then you fail, flunk out after 2 thats average, do the third one and you‘re above average.

You must pass each individual part of the test to pass overall, doing 100 pushups wont matter if you fail after the first step test.

Sounds like you passed and have no worries though!

Back