• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sprained Foot and Bad Eyes

WLaval

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I am 18 in 15 days and want to join the infantry. Since June, when I graduated a year early,  I have been working at a sawmill, three months ago I had an injury at work, spraining my foot (not my ankle). I returned to work to do light duty after a week for two weeks, shoveling, the lightest laboring duty they have there for me :) . Since injuring my foot I experience sorness when running without orthotics, it usually starts the day after any long running, heavy squating or dead lifting. When I work in boots my feet are well supported and don't ache to bad. I consulted a doctor and he said that the injured foot has become a little flat. Moreover, another doctor told me that my eyes would be V4. I have saved alot of money and would get laser surgery to fix them, but I want to make sure that I can do that. I have searched hard across the forums and internet but haven't found any information on the Canadian Forces Policy for Laser Eye Surgery and need a link to any official information, or a reassuring word from anyone who would know anything about it or has done it themselves. With orthotics, I have no symptoms of pain when running, and squating or deadlifting heavy weights doesn't make any problems. Will the Army let me in if i need orthotics for my foot? I can pay for them, but maybe they would be provided? I've done all the tests. All I have is the medical to finish.

WLaval       Welcome to Army.ca  I don't have all the answers for just some advice .  I was recently  released from the CF basic training cause of a knee injury .   I think the best things you can do is make sure your foot injury is healed before attempting Basic  also talk to the medical staff at the recruiting center  about the foot problem,  and see if they would recommend the laser eye surgery for your vision maybe you  just need glasses who knows but they are the best people to ask they are not out there to stop you from joining the CF  just to make sure that you are good enough to started on your military career . I wish you the best of luck in your future with the CF .

Thanks for the advice, Im sorry to hear about your troubles at the BMQ course, I hope your injury heals and you can try again if you still want it. I spoke to a physiotherapist today about my foot, the consultation and treatments are free, WCB will pay for them. The physiotherapist was an exnavy guy who treated other soldiers for injuries before in britain, he was alot of help, and said the injury I had should be healed in six months. Since it was three months ago, I only have three months to wait, tell then I will do cardiovascular work swimming and biking, and get a stronger upper body. I am V4 by how my vision is with and without glasses, the optometrists looked at the charts with me. I heard that we only need to wait three months after having laser eye surgery now, that would be great. However, I would still like to find where this is said officially. I have heard other militarys don't even let you in even if you are successfully corrected by laser surgery to something similar to V1 or V2, because your vision can only have been so bad prior to the surgery, this is how it is for the Royal Marine Commandos, my mom wanted me to go in with them but I think my vision is to bad (im not sure), and I feel more Canadian, the idea just doesn't seem right to me.

For info on eyes try looking in a logical place like: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26412.0.html

WLaval 

Hey man no worries about what happened to me just don't want the same thing to happen to you .  I have a great Civy job as a PSW at a Long Term Care Facility  and I am making decent wage plus no permanent knee injury one door closes another opens its funny how life works out that way .  I just wish you luck and hope that nothing happens to you except what you want to  Cheers good luck man .

Back