• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Robocall et al issue - Fed 2011 election

I don't really care who was involved in this for the sake of slinging mud- it's not an issue I'll politicize. I do, however, hope that the investigation is lengthy and thorough, and that the book is absolutely thrown at anyone who was directly involved or who can be shown to have known about this.

You DO NOT fuck with the integrity of our democracy. This is a direct attack on our democratic freedoms out of callous political desire. This can carry up to five years in prison, and I hope to see exactly that sentence meted out.

If it is eventually found that any of the parties were complicit in this, it will be a long time indeed (and a full change in leadership) before I would consider voting for that party again.

If it is eventually found that any of the parties were complicit in this, it will be a long time indeed (and a full change in leadership) before I would consider voting for that party again.

Guess you won't be voting. They all do it, some are better at it than others, some have more practise......

GAP said:
Guess you won't be voting. They all do it, some are better at it than others, some have more practise......

We shall see. I do not accept 'they all do it' as a valid excuse for attacking the integrity of our electoral system. That's always been one of the single strongest parts of our democracy.

I also differentiate between the actions of an individual staffer or volunteer who has a rush of shit to the brain, and a concerted effort on a national level that can only be organized as a party policy. The current situation appears much closer to the latter.

And it seems to beyond what we consider to be "normal" dirty tricks politics.

Brihard said:
We shall see. I do not accept 'they all do it' as a valid excuse for attacking the integrity of our electoral system. That's always been one of the single strongest parts of our democracy.

I also differentiate between the actions of an individual staffer or volunteer who has a rush of crap to the brain, and a concerted effort on a national level that can only be organized as a party policy. The current situation appears much closer to the latter.

So here's the scenario in CPC HQ "Hey Fred how are you coming with organizing our "OP DENY"?
Well Frank I have taped announcements in French and English telling people that polling stations have moved to malls in these cities. I have also made tapes of people loudly denouncing Lib and NDP candidates.
So Fred how are we going to distribute these announcements?
Well Frank since we already have a contract with this auto-calling service in Edmonton we'll use them!
That's a great idea Fred, nobody would ever figure out it was us doing the calls right? :facepalm:

FSTO said:
So here's the scenario in CPC HQ "Hey Fred how are you coming with organizing our "OP DENY"?
Well Frank I have taped announcements in French and English telling people that polling stations have moved to malls in these cities. I have also made tapes of people loudly denouncing Lib and NDP candidates.
So Fred how are we going to distribute these announcements?
Well Frank since we already have a contract with this auto-calling service in Edmonton we'll use them!
That's a great idea Fred, nobody would ever figure out it was us doing the calls right? :facepalm:

Note that I've not said a word about the Conservatives. It could as easily be a 'false flag' by one of the opposition parties. Or by an aligned organization that has no official party ties. I will wait the results of the investigation before I start getting specific on blame.

What I AM certain of is that something is extremely rotten in the kingdom of Denmark, that somewhere at the root of this there are people guilty of electoral and potentially criminal offences, and that for justice to be seen to be done the book must be thrown on this.

FSTO said:

You know people can be that dumb.

Colin P said:
You know people can be that dumb.

Yes, but only if they decided to pay out of pocket themselves.  As with any organization, as soon as you start looking to spend money there is going to be a paper trail and people are going to hear about it especially if the organization is a political party.

Me? I'm going to wait until all the evidence is in, the investigation is complete and the whole process scrutinized to ensure integrity.

Then I'll decide what to think about this whole thing.

Up to that point, people are just huffing and puffing, calling for heads, shouting in righteous indignation, pointing fingers at anyone and everyone or just rolling in a ball doing their best imitation of Eeyore, at the death of democracy. None of those accomplish a damn thing, except to muddy the whole issue beyond recognition and detract from the daily business of government.

Chill out and wait for something concrete.

recceguy said:
Me? I'm going to wait until all the evidence is in, the investigation is complete and the whole process scrutinized to ensure integrity.

Then I'll decide what to think about this whole thing.

Up to that point, people are just huffing and puffing, calling for heads, shouting in righteous indignation, pointing fingers at anyone and everyone or just rolling in a ball doing their best imitation of Eeyore, at the death of democracy. None of those accomplish a damn thing, except to muddy the whole issue beyond recognition and detract from the daily business of government.

Chill out and wait for something concrete.

:goodpost:  and  :+1:

E.R. Campbell said:
:goodpost:  and  :+1:

[out-pedanting a member of The RCR]

...and in a first on army.ca, Mr Campbell made a spelling mistake.  It's DitTo, not Dito.

[/out-pedanting a member of The RCR]

dapaterson said:

...and in a first on army.ca, Mr Campbell made a spelling mistake.  It's DitTo, not Dito.

:facepalm:

Media is reporting: "The House of Commons unanimously passed a motion Monday that asks all MPs to help the RCMP and Elections Canada investigate allegations of "robocalls" aimed at discouraging voters in the last election".

Read more: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Politics/20120227/robocalls-battle-house-of-commnos-120227/#ixzz1ndT2EWfc

dapaterson said:

To be fair to E.R.C., hate the smiley, not the poster.....

From RecceGuy "  people are just huffing and puffing, calling for heads, shouting in righteous indignation, pointing fingers at anyone and everyone or just rolling in a ball doing their best imitation of Eeyore, at the death of democracy. ... Except to muddy the business of Government ..."  Please forgive me if'f I've got the text a bit wrong

<Sarcasm >- "Pay no attention to that Canary - What dolt would drag an innocent canary into a coal mine anyway?</sarcasm>

Considering this is Canada, and our heritage from the United Kingdom  it is is extremeley unlikely that the sky is in fact falling.

To quote one of our American Cousins - ""Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips, (1811-1884), abolitionist, orator and columnist for The Liberator"

The quote should have been ". None of those accomplish a damn thing, except to muddy the whole issue beyond recognition and detract from the daily business of government."

I suggest that tha canary anology stands. This is SHOULD not be business as usual.

I note again, that it was a Post Media reporter that appears to have broke3n the story - so much for liberal bias.

off soapbox

Kalatzi said:
The quote should have been ". None of those accomplish a damn thing, except to muddy the whole issue beyond recognition and detract from the daily business of government."

I suggest that tha canary anology stands. This is SHOULD not be business as usual.

I note again, that it was a Post Media reporter that appears to have broke3n the story - so much for liberal bias.

off soapbox

It SHOULD be business as usual until, when and IF, it is determined that this latest brouhaha was even perpetrated by GOVERNMENT vice an outside party of lobbyists etc.

Or have you already beaten the experts and determined that it was indeed a government or party sanctioned robocall? I'll just refer to you as Robocop if that's the case.  ::)

"I'll just refer to you as Robocop if that's the case.  "

<sarcasm>The  Robocop is reporting for duty ... </sarcasm>

Let's try a 180 turn on the outcome ...

Lets say that the liberals had got into power  ,,. and these where  the issues

or the NDP or the whoever ....

If this was just Canda I might not be so concerned ...

<sarcasm> The Robocop wishes to report that he is much prefeable to The ED209"

Kalatzi said:
"I'll just refer to you as Robocop if that's the case.  "

<sarcasm>The  Robocop is reporting for duty ... </sarcasm>

Let's try a 180 turn on the outcome ...

Lets say that the liberals had got into power  ,,. and these where  the issues

or the NDP or the whoever ....

If this was just Canda I might not be so concerned ...

<sarcasm> The Robocop wishes to report that he is much prefeable to The ED209"

With that, I'll take it that you have indeed already fully determined the who, what, where, why, and when of this. Good on 'ya. Remind me to have you disqualified from sitting on any jury I may find myself relying upon to determine guilt and/or my innocence.

Back