• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reconstitution

Laughable thought to think people who retire/release and stay in cold lake will want to come back into the hell they left, with lower pay, crappier duties and be the punching bags of the AMO.

That’s just a WAG on my part. I have no idea what the plan was. Or, if there actually was one.

Except there is no facilities to house F-35 in Minot. The infrastructure requirements for F-35 are extremely stringent.

I would not be surprised, if we continue on the F-35 route, that the first couple of aircraft would go to a US base to pool with allied nations for conversion training.
Entirely reasonable way to get pers trained while finishing infra.

GD but ones that require some knowledge and trg and keep aircraft flying. Towing aircraft is a little different than hooking up to a water buffalo and driving off.

The duties listed are all important ones that need to be done, and ones that take techs away from their primary trade duties. There is a critical shortage of techs across the RCAF; I’m all for this trade but make it Reg force and sufficient PML.

Leave the AVN, AVS, ACS, and AWS folks focused on their important work that keeps serviceable aircraft on the line.

Air Force version of the Bos'n's trade?

If you want close to Winnipeg then Minot North Dakota is your spot. Considering its strategic importance, it's also a prime target.

Very specialized US Nuclear Custodial Units. They existed not only for the various RCAF systems we had but also the Army's Honest Johns.

🍻
Actually one of our RSS staff had been on that duty guarding the nukes in Comox for a posting, he was artillery.

Actually one of our RSS staff had been on that duty guarding the nukes in Comox for a posting, he was artillery.
I think that there is a key difference between the US custodians who were/are responsible in all respects for the security of the weapons and their release to the allied nation under the authority of the US authorities and allied nations who provided additional security to the facilities. During the Cold War the US had nuclear weapons and custodial units with a number of NATO nations who had nuclear capable delivery systems (or for that matter nuclear demolitions)

🍻

I think that there is a key difference between the US custodians who were/are responsible in all respects for the security of the weapons and their release to the allied nation under the authority of the US authorities and allied nations who provided additional security to the facilities. During the Cold War the US had nuclear weapons and custodial units with a number of NATO nations who had nuclear capable delivery systems (or for that matter nuclear demolitions)

🍻
I have to agree. There is alot of confusion on this point. I was once posted to Chatham NB (mind you, well after the nukes were gone).

As I understood things the USAF had a nuclear weapons security detachment in Chatham that had care and custody of the Genie missiles until they were loaded on the Voodoos (i don’t think a live Genie was ever loaded in Canada, but could be wrong).

Outside of that, there was a robust Canadian security force (by our standards, anyway) protecting the base and the perimeter of the weapons storage area).

For the MPs, time for a split within the trade? Betting there's enough overlap within all of the domestic tasks that maintaining some commonality would make sense, but perhaps not everyone needs to be fully developed in the base constabulary context. Run everyone through the same common initial trades training, then select from there?

Probably missing something, but there's base constabulary / provost / guardhouse work, close protection, airfield security, higher level investigative tasks (NIS), wartime tasks for land ops, and non-environment specific base defence / security. No idea which of those should be a trade, which should be analogous to the current close protection qual, and which should just be distinctly staffed units.

🍻
Here is a bit about that ... I was I another part of 4CMBG in the 1960s but, in 1969, I was in HQ4CMBG and the article rings true with my (hazy) memories of who was where.

There's another article - about the Voodoos here.

I know they flew them until 1984 and I think they carried the Genies right up until the end. I was up in Bagotville on an ACO course in the early 1970s and saw them there at the time.

🍻

GD but ones that require some knowledge and trg and keep aircraft flying. Towing aircraft is a little different than hooking up to a water buffalo and driving off.

The duties listed are all important ones that need to be done, and ones that take techs away from their primary trade duties. There is a critical shortage of techs across the RCAF; I’m all for this trade but make it Reg force and sufficient PML.

Leave the AVN, AVS, ACS, and AWS folks focused on their important work that keeps serviceable aircraft on the line.
I liked doing those others duties, like marshaling Aircraft, refueling them, changing tires etc. It broke up the day. But it could be a pain if you were close to fixing a Jet and being called away to launch a jet because you were available.

Other organizations are having similar challenges keeping and finding people, but they don't have to follow the same (strict, outdated) rules as the CAF:

Employers look for new ways to recruit as aging workers contribute to ongoing labour shortage​

Known for attracting older workers on the retail side, Lee Valley had seen a wave of retirements during COVID-19. But with demand up for its products as people embraced hobbies like gardening and woodworking during the pandemic, president and COO Jason Tasse initially resorted to hiring members of a local lacrosse team he coaches to fill orders.

As restrictions lifted, the company decided on a long-term strategy. They would pay more, offer better benefits, increase flexibility around shifts and invest in training those whose skills were not yet developed in the areas required.

"We abandoned most traditional hiring practices and protocols," said Tasse. In the past, they would tell prospective employees what kind of schedule to expect, along with requiring specific skills and references. Now, Tasse said, "all of that was out the window."

Similar conversations are happening at organizations across Canada, according to Bank of Montreal senior economist Robert Kavcic, with companies in many sectors reworking their hiring practices as they face high post-lockdown demand for services and a tight labour market.

Other organizations are having similar challenges keeping and finding people, but they don't have to follow the same (strict, outdated) rules as the CAF:

Employers look for new ways to recruit as aging workers contribute to ongoing labour shortage​

Known for attracting older workers on the retail side, Lee Valley had seen a wave of retirements during COVID-19. But with demand up for its products as people embraced hobbies like gardening and woodworking during the pandemic, president and COO Jason Tasse initially resorted to hiring members of a local lacrosse team he coaches to fill orders.

As restrictions lifted, the company decided on a long-term strategy. They would pay more, offer better benefits, increase flexibility around shifts and invest in training those whose skills were not yet developed in the areas required.

"We abandoned most traditional hiring practices and protocols," said Tasse. In the past, they would tell prospective employees what kind of schedule to expect, along with requiring specific skills and references. Now, Tasse said, "all of that was out the window."

Similar conversations are happening at organizations across Canada, according to Bank of Montreal senior economist Robert Kavcic, with companies in many sectors reworking their hiring practices as they face high post-lockdown demand for services and a tight labour market.

I can see where a percentage of older workers who had reached retirement age and didn't need to work but stayed in the workforce for reasons other than a paycheck might be hanging back from risking their health, but there must be a glut of younger folks who need the money who also seem to be staying away. How do they manage to make ends meet without a job? Not everyone can succeed as an internet influencer.

:unsure:

I can see where a percentage of older workers who had reached retirement age and didn't need to work but stayed in the workforce for reasons other than a paycheck might be hanging back from risking their health, but there must be a glut of younger folks who need the money who also seem to be staying away. How do they manage to make ends meet without a job? Not everyone can succeed as an internet influencer.

A lot of the younger folks are staying at home with the parents, working part time jobs at best.

If you can get by comfortably doing part-time work while having mommy and daddy pay for your living expenses, why would you ever bother getting a "real" job?

It's called bank of Mommy and Daddy.

I know people who live off of government subsidies and handouts of several types. No real career or employment, just a little under-the-table work here and there, and mostly free money. They aren't living extravagantly but their lazy asses can definitely get by, and they have a lot of free time.

Toronto Water hiring due to "Baby Boomer" retirements.

Ensures over 3.6 million residents and businesses in Toronto, and portions of York and Peel have access to safe drinking water, safely treated wastewater and stormwater management.

I knew some guys got sent there. The "Water Palaces" were exactly that. The sewage treatment plants, not so much. 🤮
Luck of the draw where they sent you. Helped if you knew somebody in the union.

Other organizations are having similar challenges keeping and finding people, but they don't have to follow the same (strict, outdated) rules as the CAF

Some may consider this "strict, outdated" compared to the CAF,

All City of Toronto employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's Mandatory Vaccination Policy. Candidates will be required to show proof of vaccination during the recruitment process.

I can see where a percentage of older workers who had reached retirement age and didn't need to work but stayed in the workforce for reasons other than a paycheck might be hanging back from risking their health,
I'm a loafer by nature, so I bailed out when my pension maxed out.

But, if I was inclined, which I am not, to take a post-retirement job, I would go with this one.

I drove buses around the city in my pre-retirement job, so this would sort of be like a "busman's holiday". :)

A lot of the younger folks are staying at home with the parents, working part time jobs at best.

If you can get by comfortably doing part-time work while having mommy and daddy pay for your living expenses, why would you ever bother getting a "real" job?

Kind of ish. As a parent of two younger adults living at home I can attest that we are having to look at how we do things.

One of the kids is an accredited RN graduate, fully paid up, but can't get on the hiring ladder. The market is looking for experienced part time nurses. The traditional employers are not taking on full time employees. They are hiring contract nurses. And the market is swamped with ex-full timers with tons of experience happy to take high paying, short time contracts that offer them mobility. That leaves handing out pills and changing bandages in old folks homes for the youngsters. She is making ends meet like every other youngster. Starbucks.

The other is a Civil Engineer Technician that went back to school to get his P Eng Ring and then decided that GIS was more his speed. So he is taking courses and hoping for a long term gig he can base a future on.

It ain't the kids. It's the economy. A lot of people are struggling with this gig economy - working contract to contract and constantly having to re-invent themselves to meet the needs of the market, writing resumes is the least of it.

If you don't know where your next paycheck is coming from it gets real difficult to be optimistic about the future. And taking out a mortgage is an expression of optimism. So is getting married and having kids.

Imagine trying to order civilians to work overseas.
Easy…
1666634739151.gif

Petawawa was great for Friday night benders. Roll out of work at 1400 on Friday and start drinking at the mess with the boys! Those were the days!
Army always leaving work early on a Friday…I think you’ll recall how hard I worked on Friday afternoons to ensure security through aerial security ops around the Mess to kick off TGIF, then after a full work day (and sand/leaf blasting the grunts and their beers 😉), come by the Mess to adoration and applause…
1666634678034.gif
Comox. Esquimalt/Pat Bay. Trenton was trending high enough I became disinterested in MAISR.
Well that, and MAISR coming online in 20??… 😉

Yup I agree. But we don’t have “services” right now we have a single service. People don’t “join the RCN/RCAF”, they join the CAF.
Legally perhaps, but I think most people joining up think of Army, Navy or Air Force…even the purple trades are seen as one of the services.

Imagine trying to order civilians to work overseas.
201091418532423734_20.jpeg

p15n1frfrt981.jpg

57527775-0-image-a-74_1651941974414.jpg

226355049_6429507963729844_1989714777520787809_n.jpg

For enough money, you can get anyone to do anything 😉

Private Civilians fighting wars isn't an anomaly, it was actually the norm up until about 250-300 years ago. Large standing Armies controlled by Nation States is a relatively new concept.

Back