• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

QL3 course, what are these rumours?

don't apologize. If they fail, they should have to wait for the next avail posn where they can retake the course. There is NO good excuse to bump off potential competent medics who are sitting on their thumbs waiting to get into the school. Esp if the portion (and it most likely is) the JIBC portion. They can cancel some of the Sgts off those positions (what a waste,sendin a Sgt to do a Pte level course for a "ticket") so that QL3 can redo the course they need to do so they can get into a unit where we need them.

There is a better way. And you are justified in complaining about it.

George Wallace said:
I don't understand your logic.  These people have been in longer than you.  They may have failed for reasons that were not academically related; ie. Medical Recourse, Compassionate, or a myriad of other reasons.  Next question:  How long should they wait?  Until after your course is done, or the next one, or the next one, or when?

No George, these people fail....from what I understand, averaging 3 every QL3 course(because it is hard, and people rather party than study). And yes, they should wait. Troops deserve good medics. How many chances do you want a medic to do things correctly during saving a person's life?

Prairie Dog said:
No George, these people fail....from what I understand, averaging 3 every QL3 course(because it is hard, and people rather party than study). And yes, they should wait. Troops deserve good medics. How many chances do you want a medic to do things correctly during saving a person's life?

I can agree with that.  However, if they are actually Training Failures, what are we doing putting them on another Crse?  As you say, do I, or anyone else, want a Medic who failed their Crse working on me/us?  No.  Time to OT them to another Trade.

As for Sgts taking QL 3 posns on Crse, that is wrong.  They should be getting their tickets punched elsewhere.

I must say that when I first read the last few posts, I was wee bit upset.  Then I cooled off and read them again.  So, here's my .02 cents, tax free:

Prairie Dog said:
...Esp if the portion (and it most likely is) the JIBC portion. They can cancel some of the Sgts off those positions (what a waste,sendin a Sgt to do a Pte level course for a "ticket") so that QL3 can redo the course they need to do so they can get into a unit where we need them.

I'm not sure if it's changed since I was out there last year, but usually when you failed in BC they tried their best to not even send you back to Borden, everything was done by phone.  And you got loaded onto the next crse usually in the module that you failed.  This was easy as each course was about 4 weeks behind the other.  I'm sure this has changed as I know the course is now 6 months instead of 16 wks +5 days. 

I also agree on sending Sgt.'s on a Pte Course.  When we saw them arrive last September, we were a little confused, but didn't pay much attention as we were a little busy on our On Car rotation and studying for the Provincial Exams. 

George Wallace said:
I can agree with that.  However, if they are actually Training Failures, what are we doing putting them on another Crse?  As you say, do I, or anyone else, want a Medic who failed their Crse working on me/us?  No.  Time to OT them to another Trade....

I'm not sure I completely agree.  Training is the place to make mistakes, since you can always try again.  However, in the real life that isn't so.  The PCP Course in BC is very intense and was the hardest I've ever done.  I'm 27 and I already have one college diploma, and started a second before seeing the light.  But some people haven't learned how to do independent study yet, and they need that second chance.  It's not because they're not smart enough, or capable enough but they just didn't have the proper tools to get the job done.  Round one they get the tools, and round 2 they finish job no problems.   

foxhound031 said:
When you are done your BMQ, you will come to CFB Borden and stay in PRETC until there is an opening at CFMSS for your course.  When you get on course, you will spend 14 weeks doing your clinical care (CC) phase.  When you are done that, you will go to JIBC at Chilliwack, BC for 6 months to do your emergency care (EC) phase.  When you are done that you will return to CFMSS at Borden to do your field phase which last's around 3 weeks, but counting in your IRPP and posting briefs, you will be looking at close to a year before you are done your QL3's.  That is after you are done BMQ

This exactly the info I was looking for, thank you so much!

I have been looking all over on how to find out when the course dates at CFMSS start, can anyone tell me how you get that info?

MTSweet said:
This exactly the info I was looking for, thank you so much!

I have been looking all over on how to find out when the course dates at CFMSS start, can anyone tell me how you get that info?

Its only available on the DIN (intranet).  But don't get to concerned about dates, since they fluctuate, and unless you are currently sitting in Borden right now in PRETC then, you have other hurdles to clear first.

QL3 0043 (Clinical Phase) 2 Feb to 7 May 2009
QL3 0044 (Clinical Phase) 23 Feb to 27 May 2009.

I hope that is of some help.

MC

I am in Borden on PRETC and the course dates that are mentioned above is the course dates that I am also aware of. I am on the Feb 23, 2009 course...Yeah! ;D

Good luck and HAVE FUN! Don't party too much, but bond with your team mates and relax, it's not as bad as you think it will be. I enjoyed my 3s, especially my final on car portion.

Interesting reading.
This is useless trivia, nonetheless, I hope you don't mind me mentioning that when I joined Metro ( as it was called back then ) Toronto in 1972, they sent me to CFB Borden. We called it Camp Borden.  Ambulancemen from all over Ontario were there. I was the only one from Toronto on my course. There were 20 of us. The soldiers trained us, and we lived in the barracks.
They showed us some horror films of car accidents in Ohio.  This was before TV news sent cars to wrecks.  None of us had ever seen such films. Most worked for funeral homes. That's were I got my start. Sounds funny now, but that's the way it was. 
The ambulances, many were Cadillacs,  were equipped with first aid supplies and oxygen.  And lots of forcible entry and rescue equipment ( that's all gone from the ambulances and switched to the fire engines now ) . CPR was just a railroad, back then. They were also equipped with straight jackets, and we used them frequently. All ambulance attendants were male. That was to change some years later. The main focus seemed to be traffic accidents. This was before MADD, mandatory safety belt laws, air bags and the speed limit was 70 MPH. Auto extrication was the big focus. It was non stop action. Lots of overtime. The fire department did not roll on car wrecks, back then, unless it caught fire.
Mention is made of black ( actually dark navy ) uniforms. We wore immaculate white medical smocks. Not lab coats. These button up the side of your neck. Wear them over a T shirt. In the near future, we will be switching ( I think ) to lime green. I've seen them testing them.
Anyway, it was a good course. And good times.  A few years later, they sent us to Humber College. But, back then Camp Borden was considered state of the art for our profession. 
Sorry for taking up so much bandwith with nostagalia. It seems like yesterday. If the moderator desires, please delete. Pardon me for interrupting your more modern discussion. I'll go back to lurking.

Back