• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Protected colours

Spartan

Inactive
Reaction score
I have a question regarding laid up colours of units.
My question is, when they are laid up in a church for protection, is it only Anglican churches that they get laid/hung in? and if so, is this because the Queen is head of state/Commander in Chief?

Colours can be laid-up in any public building. There are colours in city halls and libraries although most end up in churches. There is no requirement for the church to be an Anglican church and, in Quebec, you will find many are laid-up in RC churches.

The first colours of the 48th Highlanders are displayed in the Regimental Museum in St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. Subsequent colour are hung in the Nave of St. Andrew's. The first set became so fragile it was not prudent to have the hanging so we had them treated and backed for display in a large case. Colours are usualy hung in the Regimental Church but may also he hung in other public buildings.

Thanks. I didn't know that it wasn't church specific in denomination.
I did know about being laid up in parliament buildings (how did I forget that ?)
Thanks for the info.

Back