• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loachman said:
No sense of humour?

Blackadder1916 said:
Of course I do, but it is the smug, self-ingratiating humour of the pedantic.

To parse;

To analyze (a sentence) in terms of grammatical constituents, identifying the parts of speech, syntactic relations, etc.

Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/parse

A pun is the lowest form of humour - when you don't think of it first.  :)

Loachman said:
The "Great Spirit" thing has got to offend somebody's religion, or lack thereof, somewhere.

And would the name not be considered to be cultural appropriation in certain circles, due to its origin and the number of older, patriarchal, privileged, cis-gendered (whatever that means; "functional normal human being", I think), straight, Christian white men who live there now?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_place_names_in_Canada_of_Indigenous_origin

Manitoba: Either derived from the Cree word manito-wapâw meaning "the strait of the spirit or manitobau" or the Assiniboine words mini and tobow meaning "Lake of the Prairie", referring to Lake Manitoba.Nunavut: "Our land" in Inuktitut.

Ontario: Derived from the Huron word onitariio meaning "beautiful lake", or kanadario meaning "sparkling" or "beautiful" water.

Quebec: from the Míkmaq word kepék, meaning "strait" or "narrows".

Saskatchewan: Derived from the Cree name for the Saskatchewan River, kisiskāciwani-sīpiy, meaning "swift flowing river".

Yukon: from an Athabaskan language, e.g. Koyukon yookkene or Lower Tananayookuna

Comox: either from the Chinook Jargon for "dog" (kamuks), or from the Kwak'wala for "place of plenty".

Coquitlam: "small red salmon" in Halqemeylem (Upriver Halkomelem). Derived from the name of the Kwikwetlem people. Another and more usual translation is "stinking of fish slime" or "stinking fish", thought to be a reference to the Kwikwetlem people's role as slaves to the Katzie and Kwantlen as fish butchers.

Kamloops: anglicization of the Shuswap word Tk'emlups, meaning "where the rivers meet".

Kelowna: "ki?lawna?" meaning a male grizzly bear in the Okanagan language.

Kootenay: derived from the proper name of the Kootenay people, Ktunaxa

Grand Rapids: Translation of Cree word misepawistik, meaning "rushing rapids"

Winnipeg: "muddy water" from the word win-nipi of the Cree.

Oromocto : possibly from the Maliseet word welamooktook which means "good river"

Iqaluit: "many fish" in Inuktitut.

Brantford: Named after Joseph Brant, a Mohawk leader.

Ottawa: "To buy" from the word adaawe in the Anishinaabe language; adapted as the name of the Odawa people.

Petawawa: From Algonquin meaning "where one hears the noise of the water"

Toronto: from an Iroquoian language, but of uncertain derivation.[35] Another story says it is derived from the Mohawk word "tkaronto" meaning "trees standing in the water".

Quebec City (and County): The "narrowing of the river" refers to the point where the St. Lawrence River passes Quebec City.

Shawinigan: "Portage at the crest" in Algonquian.

Saskatoon: Derived from the Cree word misāskwatōmin, meaning Saskatoon berry – a fruit native to the area.
Well,  we better get started then.

Justin Trudeau interrupts woman to tell her to use 'peoplekind' instead of 'mankind' because 'it's more inclusive'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5357037/Trudeau-mocked-telling-woman-say-peoplekind.html

I am in the Phoenix. Even on the local Rock station they carried this item and it was not a feed. It is in the media in the US and the PM is being mocked.

The woman's actual line to the PM was "maternal love is the love that's going to change the future of mankind."  Why wasn't he offended that paternal love is demeaned and oppressed?

He's still  just not ready. 

This is rather ridiculous and its weird that  its grown legs and taken off more than his response to our veterans(that's canada for you,  screw over vets, meh,  peoplekind as opposed to mankind, controversy) but has anyone watched the video in question?

The woman is going on and on about religion and female equality in religion,  her church,  for over 3 minutes with people in the crowd starting to get agitated and a few starting to boo her before Trudeau makes the quip about peoplekind.

Seems far more tongue in cheek to me in that context,  and the audience was happy he found a way to shut her up.

Well, he started the ball rolling with changing the words in the English version.  Reap what you sow.

Altair said:
This is rather ridiculous and its weird that  its grown legs and taken off ... Seems far more tongue in cheek to me in that context,  and the audience was happy he found a way to shut her up.

I'm inclined to agree with you as to the motive, what rattled a lot of people was the stupidity (fair word, I think) of the words he chose to "shut her up." Now, "humankind" has been in pretty common use for at least decades ~ I grew up knowing it as a "neutral" term in the 1950s ~ but "people-kind" is just plain dumb ... it makes Justin Trudeau look like what I think he is: a semi-literate man-child pretending to be prime minister of a G7 country and being amazed that no one has pulled him off the stage quite yet.

I am in agreement with ERC on this one. And, BTW, according to the Gazette article this morning (thus probably in the National Post also), this has been mocked as far as the UK also.

I would only add that he wilfully decided to go on a national Town Hall tour. By definition, Town Halls are a political event in a democracy - they are not "celebrity" tours or stand-up comics show. When a politician offers himself (is that the proper pronoun for Trudeau?) to the public in an exercise in democracy, he has to accept that there will be point of views that will be expressed that will contradict his own views, or even will constitute personnel attacks. It doesn't give him the right to joke around or belittle any of these positions or people - if he truly believes that in democracy, everyone is allowed their own views and positions and to express them, no matter how awkwardly. He has to be "man" enough to take it and move on.

But then again, the Libs have always been bad at accepting that people could have views and opinions differing from theirs.

Interesting ctv article and quote  about the class action sexual assault case going on.

Despite those efforts, the federal government argued in court filings that it does not “owe a private law duty of care to individual members within the CAF to provide a safe and harassment-free work environment, or to create policies to prevent sexual harassment or sexual assault."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/feds-trying-to-stop-sexual-misconduct-lawsuit-against-canadian-forces-1.3792725

Trudeau writes off peoplekind quip as 'dumb joke'
Canadian PM mocked for correcting a woman using 'mankind' during town hall in Edmonton

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-peoplekind-bad-joke-1.4524233

my favorite bit from the story

British TV broadcaster Piers Morgan called Trudeau a "Chief PC Plonker," accusing him of killing off mankind. Australian columnist Rita Panahi called him the "Kim Kardashian of political leaders; an all-style, no-substance himbo with all the depth of a puddle."

Altair said:
This is rather ridiculous and its weird that  its grown legs and taken off more than his response to our veterans(that's canada for you,  screw over vets, meh,  peoplekind as opposed to mankind, controversy) but has anyone watched the video in question?

The woman is going on and on about religion and female equality in religion,  her church,  for over 3 minutes with people in the crowd starting to get agitated and a few starting to boo her before Trudeau makes the quip about peoplekind.

Seems far more tongue in cheek to me in that context,  and the audience was happy he found a way to shut her up.

jollyjacktar said:
my favorite bit from the story
hmm.

Altair said:
This is rather ridiculous and its weird that  its grown legs and taken off more than his response to our veterans(that's canada for you, screw over vets, meh,

"C'est la vie"

But totally self inflicted.  He has no one to blame but himself.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/jack-mintz-another-nep-fiasco-looms-as-westerners-suffer-for-trudeaus-energy-follies/wcm/a219f664-9715-4f0f-9ac6-67abfecf9b0e

Jack Mintz: Another NEP fiasco looms as Westerners suffer for Trudeau’s energy follies

Thanks to government policy and indecision, American consumers enjoying subsidies paid for by Western Canadians

"The prime minister calls the dispute between Alberta and British Columbia ... a "disagreement between provinces." That ignores the constitutional role the federal government has in interprovincial transportation and trade. Alberta’s Premier Rachel Notley is right: This is as much a fight between B.C. and the federal government as it is between Alberta and B.C."

"... perhaps the Trudeau government is quietly hoping the pipeline’s owner, Kinder Morgan, gives up in frustration, for “business reasons,” as other resource project proponents have done recently after enduring endless regulatory and political setbacks."

"The NEP, which hit the West just as commodity prices were falling, led to one of the largest income transfers in history, from the West to Central and Eastern Canada. Western energy producers were forced to pay an export tax to fund subsidies to make life cheaper for energy-guzzling consumers to the east. This time, the income isn’t being transferred from the West to Eastern Canada. It’s being transferred from Canada to the United States."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back