• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PM Harper will address the country on Monday

sleeman

Inactive
Reaction score
I have just heard on Radio-Canada that PM Harper will make a statement on Monday about 9/11.  I sure hope he will take a few minutes to explain the mission in the sandbox and make the link to 9/11.  It is a great opportunity to educate the sheeple of this country.

The Ruxted Group seems to have his speech prepared......
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/49909/post-440940.html#new

Yes, it is time for him to silence those that claim we have no clear mandate and no business being in Afgh.  Of course this will require said oxygen thieves to actualy believe that the PM is telling the truth as to why we are there  and how we will accomplish the mission...

It's useless I'm afraid, there are far too many useful idiots out there willing to choke down any conspiracy theory no matter how implausable just to be able to ignore the fact that there are realy bad men in this world who want to kill us and destroy our way of life because we are who we are.

From the Toronto Globe and Mail ,

(so it'as gotta be true then eh?) >:D

Shared under the Fair Dealings Provisions of the Copyright Act, RSC.

Harper to make live televised address on Sept. 11
Canadian Press

HALIFAX — Prime Minister Stephen Harper will make a live televised address to the country Monday to mark the fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

An official in the Prime Minister's Office confirms Mr. Harper will make a statement of five to eight minutes on national television.

Carolyn Stewart-Olsen told The Canadian Press that Mr. Harper wanted to recognize the 24 Canadians who perished in the attacks on the World Trade Centre in New York.

The prime minister is expected to address concerns over Canada's role in Afghanistan, where 2,200 Canadian troops are in the midst of battling insurgents.

Ms. Olsen says Mr. Harper wants to speak to the “families and victims, and to people who fight terrorism on a daily basis.”

The time of the address has yet to be decided.

The announcement comes as U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said she planned to travel to Halifax on Monday to mark the grim anniversary.

Officials in the U.S. State Department say she wants to thank people in Atlantic Canada who helped thousands of Americans stranded when their planes were forced to land in the region.

I missed it, but did track down a copy of the text of the speech.

Taken from: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060911/harper_speech_txt_060911/20060911?hub=Politics

Good evening. Today is the fifth anniversary of the terrible events of Sept. 11, 2001.

I am speaking to you from the Hall of Honour in the Centre Block of Parliament.

With me are some Canadians whose lives have been touched by 9-11 in ways that most of us can't even begin to imagine.

Men and women who lost loved ones in the attacks on the World Trade Centre. Tanja Tomasevic, who lost her husband, Vladimir; Danny Eisen who lost his cousin, Danny; and Maureen and Erica Basnicki, who lost their husband and father, Ken.

I asked them to join me because words alone are not enough to express what needs to be said today.

As we pay tribute to the 24 Canadians who lost their lives on that infamous day five years ago, their family members remind us that they were real people with real lives.

Lives that were cut short -- deliberately so -- by a murderous act of terrorism.

Like most Canadians, I have a vivid memory of that morning.

As my wife, Laureen, and I watched the second tower collapse on television, as the enormity of the events began to sink in, I turned to her and said: "This will change the course of history.''

And so it has.

In the years that followed, terror struck Bali in Indonesia, Madrid in Spain, London in Great Britain. And security forces in many countries -- including Canada -- have foiled alleged terrorist plots before they could be executed.

The targets and tactics were different in every case, but the objective is always the same. To kill, maim and terrify as many people as possible. Not in the name of any idealistic cause, but because of an ideology of hatred.

And while this war of terror has displayed some of the worst of which humanity is capable, so too has it revealed the greatness and generosity that lie at the core of so many ordinary people.

Something which was on display for all to see when Canadians opened their arms and homes to thousands of travellers whose flights were diverted on 9-11.

And because of this war of terror, people around the world have come together to offer a better vision of the future for all humanity.

For this vision to take hold, the menace of terror must be confronted.

And that is why the countries of the United Nations, with unprecedented unity and determination, launched their mission to Afghanistan to deal with the source of the 9-11 terror and to end, once and for all, the brutal regime that horribly mistreated its own people while coddling terrorists.

And that is why I invited the families of some of the Canadian soldiers who are currently serving in Afghanistan to join us here today.

I want to thank Raquel Hounsell, Janice Shaw and Jane Hill for being here. Their husbands are currently serving in Afghanistan. And Capt. Edward and Judy Kosierb, whose son is serving in Afghanistan.

Their presence here reminds us that real people -- Canadian men and women with families and children -- are courageously putting themselves forward to make that part of the world a better place.

It is the desire to make a better and safer world which compels our soldiers to put their lives on the line.

There are Canadian heroes being made every day in the desert and the mountains of southern Afghanistan.

These are the stories we don't hear -- the countless acts of courage and sacrifice that occur every day on the battlefield.

And in the towns and villages where Canadians are reconstructing the basic infrastructure of a shattered nation.

Because of their efforts, the Taliban is on the run, not the charge.

Women now have basic rights as human beings. Youngsters are getting a chance to go to school. And many -- but not yet all Afghan families -- are beginning to rebuild their lives with our help.

Because we are a country that has always accepted its responsibilities in the world, from two great wars in Europe, from Korea to the Balkans, Canada has acted when the United Nations has asked.

And as the events of Sept. 11 so clearly illustrate, the horrors of the world will not go away if we turn a blind eye to them, no matter how far off they may be.

And these horrors cannot be stopped unless some among us are willing to accept enormous sacrifice and risk to themselves.

I would ask that, tonight, you keep in your thoughts and prayers the victims and families of 9-11 and all those ordinary people who have died or lost loved ones in related acts of terror.

I would ask as well, that you keep in your thoughts and prayers the personnel and families of the extraordinary people in Afghanistan and elsewhere who have put themselves on the line so that the world is a better and safer place for all of us.

Good night.

From PM's office:
http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/media.asp?category=1&id=1311

Prime Minister Harper honours 9/11 victims and restates Canada's commitment to fighting terror
11 September 2006
Ottawa, Ontario

"Prime Minister Stephen Harper today marked the fifth anniversary of 9/11 by paying tribute to those who lost their lives on that tragic day.

Joined by Canadians who lost family members in the attacks on the World Trade Centre, and by those with family members serving with the Canadian Forces in Afghanistan, the Prime Minister outlined the consequences of that fateful day five years ago. 

“As the events of September 11 so clearly illustrate, the horrors of the world will not go away if we turn a blind eye to them, no matter how far off they may be.  These horrors cannot be stopped unless some among us are willing to accept enormous sacrifice and risk to themselves,” said the Prime Minister.   

The Prime Minister stated that the horrific events of 9/11, coupled with subsequent terrorist attacks elsewhere, have galvanized the international community into taking action to stop terrorism and to offer a better vision of the future for all humanity. Canada has been part of this global effort through the efforts of the Canadian Forces serving in Afghanistan.

“Canadian men and women, with families and children, are courageously putting themselves forward to make that part of the world a better place.  Because of their efforts, the Taliban is on the run, not in charge,” said Prime Minister Harper.

The Prime Minister concluded by asking Canadians to keep the personnel and families of the extraordinary men and women serving in Afghanistan in their thoughts and prayers."

No text of speech up as of 1953EDT...

dday34 said:
I have just heard on Radio-Canada that PM Harper will make a statement on Monday about 9/11.  I sure hope he will take a few minutes to explain the mission in the sandbox and make the link to 9/11.  It is a great opportunity to educate the sheeple of this country.

But are the sheep interested in listening?

I guess all you sheperds will have to keep laying down the law on the wolves for us.

I wasn't inspired by listening to it.

Sure he talked about PRT and reconstruction...

Too much focus on 9/11 (I know.. it is 9/11 today).
Seemed to barely touch a few areas and those he did
touch for the sandbox will get glossed over by the media.

After watching the PM's address all I can say is that this was a wasted opporunity.  I know the focus of the speech was to "Honour" the Canadian victims of 9/11 and pay tribute to those in the sandbox but IMO the PM failed to deliver.  He read the entire message, barely looking up to meet the gaze of the camera, much less connect with anyone in the audience.  His speech did not come across with realy any semblance of passion it was a straight fact by fact dissertation, definitely not what is required to remind Canadians why our soldiers are thousands of Km away fighting and dying for a country so far removed from Canada as to almost be on another planet.

I know PMSH is not a flashy politician, he has (and rightfully so) been criticized for being a cold fish but this is one issue on which he must build a fire in his belly and a fire beneath the average Canadian if he is going to stay the course and do what is right not only for Canada but for Afghanistan as well.

The prick didn't even take 2 seconds to turn around and look at the folks sitting behind him.

He was bobbing left and right like he was on the deck of a tugboat out in Grand Banks. All he needed was some sea spray.

With all due respect to the 9/11 families and the familes of the soldiers in Afghanistan who were sitting behind him, the speech was far less than acceptable - it was gash, inside and out. If this was the first step in demonstrating how he will turn around the ship of public  understanding of what we are blood deep into, then he needs new speech writers, and fast.  Hillier must be hurting himself trying to hold back on the throat punches.

Get that Ruxted guy over to 24 Sussex, do it now.

Whiskey

I just saw PM Harper's address (Couldn't catch it live yesterday).  Although he did make some good points, it fell short in many ways.  It's been mentioned earlier in this topic, he didn't show enough passion and conviction.  It was a great opportunity for him to drum up support for the mission and get his point across to the nation.  On the other hand, Canadians should be able to figure out for themselves why this is important, why it is crucial for our troops to finish what they started in the sandbox and come out victorious.

I can't help to wonder what it will take to convince the population that the threat is real and what is being done in the sandbox is vital to our safety and way of life?!

Maybe, just maybe more will be said and done when Afghanistan's PM visits in a few weeks.  On can always hope.  :salute: :cdn:

For some reason, this government has been unable to sell the mission to the general public  I believe it is partly because of Harper's absolute control over the media access of his caucus. As a result, I don't think the public has had an opportunity to get a feel for O'Connor. 

Overall, people don't trust this government enough to trust them with its soldiers.  And so far, instead of trying to build an understanding of the mission, Harper spends huge effort trying to control the messages and simply saying *trust me*.  (Actually, I perceive his message as "F*ck you.  I am Prime Minister.  I decide who goes where.  I say they go.  I don't care if you don't want them to go".

I believe in this mission.  I believe it can be accomplished. I fear that if we don't get public support on our side soon, it will be too late.  That being said, I don't think Harper can do it.

stephen_harper_village_peop.jpg

Saddle up! Next stop, Afghannnystan! YEEHAW!

His speech was uninspiring and uninformative. He could have spent more time (or time, at all) actually reading it beforehand so he could maybe make eye contact with other people.

scoutfinch said:

Overall, people don't trust this government enough to trust them with its soldiers.  And so far, instead of trying to build an understanding of the mission, Harper spends huge effort trying to control the messages and simply saying *trust me*.  Actually, I perceive his message as "F*ck you.  I am Prime Minister.  I decide who goes where.  I say they go.  I don't care if you don't want them to go".

I believe in this mission.  I believe it can be accomplished. I fear that if we don't get public support on our side soon, it will be too late.  That being said, I don't think Harper can do it.

Its pretty damned close to too late.   The bold underlined part above makes no sense- it was not his decision to go. But, I would suggest that the decision to extend, which was in the works at a diplomatic level before he took office, is his decision, and it was probably the right one, by luck or by circumstance. Trust the people of Canada to fuck this up by listening to everything but the truth. Harper needs to do something, and fast. He needs to be much more visible, more articulate and more emotional. He comes off as sounding like even he doesn't believe what he is saying. His government will fall on this issue.

edit: modified as "bold" wouldn't work.  :-[

So, we should have dancing girls and smoke pots to "sell" a mission? Wave some flags, sing some songs, maybe a torchlit ceremony? Cheap hucksterism, with some propaganda thrown in to ensure we get the lowest common intellectual denominator online?

He could certainly have put more effort into it, I suppose, but do we really want another Trudeau, or Chretien? They could certainly work a crowd, but look at the damage they did to our country.

paracowboy said:
So, we should have dancing girls and smoke pots to "sell" a mission? Wave some flags, sing some songs, maybe a torchlit ceremony? Cheap hucksterism, with some propaganda thrown in to ensure we get the lowest common intellectual denominator on line?

He could certainly have put more effort into it, I suppose, but do we really want another Trudeau, or Chretien? They could certainly work a crowd, but look at the damage they did to our country.

The point isn't about cheap theatrics it is about making a personal connection with the audience.  To stand and obviously and painfully read from a teleprompter will not sway a single person who is looking to the PM and his government for leadership and guidance on this issue.  Take a look around on the internet, there are many more people getting the point across much better than the PMO and their points (Like Taliban Jack's) are resonating with the undecided.  Listen to Layton (I know, It's painful) but you can tell that he actually believes in what he is saying.  Now listen to Harper's uninspired and uninspiring speech from last night.  He sounds like a 10 year old reciting "What I did on my Summer Vacation" on the first day of school.

paracowboy said:
So, we should have dancing girls and smoke pots to "sell" a mission? Wave some flags, sing some songs, maybe a torchlit ceremony? Cheap hucksterism, with some propaganda thrown in to ensure we get the lowest common intellectual denominator online?

Of course not, and that is exactly the opposite of what is being suggested.

He needs to really get into the "why". The high level platitudes are not acceptable and nobody listens to that anymore.  The position being presented by the left is that the mission is not right for Canada. Harper needs to take that issue up head-on and he must explain why it is worth the cost. If necessary, he must challenge the major underlying assumptions used by Layton to push the anti-mission point of view forward.    That means talking up the discussion publicly in a tough and articulate manner. 

The guy is wooden, so, the guy is wooden.

Still a few minutes on TV are not enough. IMHO, Sandra Buckler or one of her colleagues should be lining the PM up for a few little chats with Don Newman, Mike Duffy and (here goes....) good ole George Strombolopoulos et al.

My point, this fellow ain't no orator, but he has got to get the message out by expending a little more effort than the last display, perhaps a 'one on one' would be the effective vehicle.

Back