• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pasta I tell you Pasta>> pasta is the key..

PARAMEDIC

Inactive
Reaction score
Well we have all heard about losing weight so much so that even the thought of it makes us lose a couple pounds :)

but heres my problem..>> Weight - 140lbs
                                      height  - 5.11  (or so id like to believe) maybe 5.10/ 5.11
                                      age      - 27yrs
                                      sex      - male
                        Ideal weight goal - 175-180lbs

I presently eat 6 meals a day including snacks, I am on a balanced diet ...ie protiens, carbs etc etc..
I have adopted this meal plan  as after doing a lot of research..ie. going to countless sites and speaking to people, bodybuilders / musclemag /gnc shops/ local meat heads at the gym(no offence) but there is something called too being too big that you cant see  your love below coz your pecks get in the way..lol ok  i digress. They all offered me almost similar advice and that is to eat more.

at this point I would like to state that I want to go natural  ie. without the use of steroids or artificial growth formulas.

I have a rapid metabolic rate so basically after lunch I weigh 142 and 1 hour later after a visit to the stink house, im back to 140.

Its not that I'm image consencious but after doing a Fat test  or whatever they call it that they do in the gym when they sign you up, I was told by the nutritonist that I was at an unhealthy weight ( I know Its a sales pitch), but this was  similar to other information I had recieved that I was at an unhealthy weight. The other factor is one of my friends came back from BMQ and he went in at 210lbs and returned 180lbs( is this normal for most people who go to BMQ), so if that is the same thing that might happen to me, I fear I might become really malnourished even though I would be getting fed solid meals while on BMQ. So I want to pack on a couple of pounds (healthy pounds).

Big macs and chese burgers have no effect on me :'(

Being 27 and having a face and a frame that looks 16 or younger, doesnt really work to your benefit most of the time.

So here are some questions:
1)With eating 4-6 meals a day, is there any other ways to put on weight
2)Think the family physician can prescribe something to lower my metabolic rate( Is this a really good Idea??) I know its not but ...
3) Lifting heavy weights with low reps to build muscle mass (would this aid the process of putting on weight)
4) or just having vitamin beer and chicken wings and lying on the couch is the solution to my problem. ;D

Any tricks or meal plans, routines what have you will be accepted

Hey; I know what your going through... I have the chest I was born with to prove it. I'm 6'2 155 lbs, I had the same concerns, and my Doctor said I just have a over-active metabolism, it seems no matter what I eat, i don't put on any pounds. The warrent officer who did my medical said there were no major concerns. In regards to losing weight at BMQ, I think you wont lose alot of weight because your well nourished there, but hard worked, so you would only lose " fat" mass. I believe

You have to eat yes, but make sure your working out at the same time!

I'm in the same boat as the both of you guys. 5'11 and I was 140-145 last summer, when I came back from BMQ I decided to just eat eat eat, and work out at the same time.  That way you're not putting on fat weight, your putting on muscle weight.  I way around 150 now and im hoping to get it up to 155 or 160 by next summer.

Im not even close to an expert on this matter, so take everything I say with a grain of salt, but eat as often as you can, and make sure to hit the weights.

Never used it but my brother-in-law is cert. person. trainer and he swears by protein powder.  If you want to put on muscle..you need protein.  If your interested I'll find out what he might recommend.

well , im 5'8 and about 145lbs myself, so I feel your pain.Im in shape I guess, i put on about 20lbs of muscle the last 2 years.. but id like to be around 165, but it seems impossible.You sound simliar to me, I eat like a monster, but never gain a pound.I once at 12 donuts at time hortons in a night and the next day i was a pound lighter.

About that powder stuff, when i was like, 13 or 14 my uncle got me something like that, i gained like 15 pounds in a couple months, it was crazy.After i used it all, i stopped getting any bigger, so, I dunno =p It worked for me, Id like to know where to find some more of it, cause my metabolism is out of control.I could eat a horse, then shrink.
If you come up with a good solution, post it somewhere, for the good of us little guys everywhere =p

For any kind of supplements(which i barely use), check out places like GNC, they have all kinds of crap like that. Now my mom uses it, but she makes her own power bars that have this stuff init, her and my dad eat them for recovery. I dont know were she got the recipie, but they worl very good for muscle recovery.

I'm 6ft, 240lbs, 14% Body fat. By no means shredded or anything like that, but I do workout quite a bit.

Some suggestions from me to you. If you eat 6x a day, that will keep your metabolism high. If you eat larger meals, 3 times a day with protein shakes for snacks then you will put on some more weight. Use Whey Protein Isolate. It's expensive, but the best quality and most easily digestable. I would also say be careful with pastas. Pastas are carbs, which yes, your body needs, but are best consumed in larger quantities when you are about to undertake physical exercise such as the 2x10, or several days of section attacks (ie. Battle School).
If you eat too many carbs (breads, pastas etc) you will eventually become lethargic and fat. Carbs are the reason most N. Americans are fat, not because they eat too much fat. You will understand all of this if you do some reading and understand how your body utilizes fuel for energy.........

Be careful with weight gainer powders as they are often several THOUSAND extra calories per day. In the gym, life heavy weights, 6-8 reps, 2-4 sets. No more. Cardio 2 x a week to maintain your heart fitness and endurance, presuming you can already run.

Consult some fitness magazines, some books from the library on health and nutrition. You're slim. It's not a curse.

My last recommendation to you would be to avoid any kinds of drugs or pills to slow or alter your metabolism. If you're fat and take ripped fuel etc, you'll see benefits, but if you're already slim and fit, then you'll do more harm to your cause than good and at the end of the day, you don't wanna be messing with anything that will affect your thyroid.

Education and a clearly defined goal for your physique in your mind will be the way to start. Best of luck to you,

TM

Thanks, I'm in the same boat as these guys. I'm turning 16 in just over a month, and i only weigh 130lbs. This will hopefully help me, because i am planning to join the Res. this summer. Thanks again.

Mike

I have never had this problem as I am the opposite...trying to lose weight and keeping it off. I am 5'11 @ 220 and mainting but at my heaviest prior to Battle School (that was 1994) I was 250. HollywoodHitman has some good points....keeping away from the carbs (pasta/breads). This will fill you up and at times bloat you up and yes even allow you to gain weight, but not the muscle that you want.Your body needs fuel and keeping the furnace stoked all the time ( 6 meals a day) is good practice. No more than an hour in the gym (not including chatting) is all the is needed 5 to 6 times a week. Use 24 hrs rest between muscle groups and use heaver weights (that you can handle).....rule of thumb...heavy weights to get big....light weights to cut up. Use protein powder is a must and for yourself wanting to get bigger use something like N'large or HEAVYWEIGHT Gainer that has a little more protein/calorie formulas in it for those that need it. I am no expert, but know what has worked for me and the key (like HollywoodHitman said), educate yourself, buy some mags like Muscle Media etc. Here is a link to  Popeyes Supplements Canada... http://www.supplementscanada.com/  this is where I order my stuff from as I have found that it is the most reasonable....they do have Stores in most areas....but for those of us in the sticks (Shilo) it is a good spot. They all so have some great info on the site too.

Cheers....hope I was some help

I'm nowhere near as big as HollywoodHitman, but I've had struggles with keeping weight on before. I'm 5'10", about 185, with about 14% bodyfat. Last year while playing rugby (both SuperLeague and Provincial) I had to eat constantly just to stay above 175, as I had 3-4 hours of practice each night, 6 days a week (and if you've ever played rugby before, you know that it's one of the hardest workouts you could ever come up with.).  I had to keep extra weight on in order to stay healthy, as I play Flanker (kinda like an outside linebacker in football) and have to tackle props (kinda like O-lineman) from time to time and not get killed.

What I found worked for me was eating all kinds of everything, but replacing junk food with healthy food. I ate tons of pasta and breads, but I only ate whole wheat, as it takes longer for your body to process and the energy lasts longer. I also hit the weights as often as possible, high weight, low reps. AND LOTS OF PROTEIN! Meat, shakes, anything I could get my hands on.

One thing to take into consideration; when you eat protein, your body uses energy to process it, which is why the whole Atkins thing is so huge right now. If your body does not have enough fuel to burn while this is happening, it will use fat and even lean muscle mass for energy! So do not avoid carbs!

To sum it up:
1. heavy compound lifting  (squats, bench presses, deadlifts, etc.)
2. eat lots of healthy foods all the time
3. get lots of rest. Your body only gets better when you sleep.
4. drink lots of water. carry a water bottle around with you, its surprising how much water you drink when it's always right there.

hope this helps, I'm not an expert by any means, so take this with a grain of salt... and consider meeting with a nutritionist. That's what they're there for. ;)

Mike

Here here!  I'm the same, I'm 21, 5'6(Alright not as tall as you guys) and I weigh only 134lbs.  I can gain weight if I'm really careful and stick to my diet 100%.  However if I deviate just a bit I'll drop back to my basic weight: 132lbs in 1/10th of the time it took me to put it on.  My trick which just to have 3 solid meals a day and protein shakes in between.  If you're looking to gain muscle weight it's really important to get a high protein intake RIGHT after your workout.

Big macs and chese burgers have no effect on me

lol... I couldn't help but laugh at that... so many people wish wish it was like that for them. It's pretty much like that for me to. I'm just a skinny 6,2 180lbs 17 year old...

I can eat all the McD's I want and I wont gain a pound...

Sorry to get off topic...

Back