• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So You Want to be Charles Atlas

Kratos said:
but to be honest, I don't know of any really strong guys who use it. There are also aspects of the program some disagree with.

Hi I'm Aaron.  I'm strong, 2110 lbs combined.    ;D

Keep posting Kratos I love reading your arguments.

SpaceMonkey_10 said:
Hi I'm Aaron.  I'm strong, 2110 lbs combined.    ;D

Keep posting Kratos I love reading your arguments.

Just to clarify, you're trying to tell me your big three total is 2110?

Raw?
Age?
Weight?
Drug free?
Videos?

Reminds me of an old saying my MCpl used to say so often...

"Dear Mr Atlas, finished program....please send muscle.!!"      ;D

Kratos said:
I believe he's talking in terms of Wendler's program which has a "big four". Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Military Press.

Kratos said:

Raw? Yes, I lift raw now.  No gear other than a belt, chalk and some wraps.  I've used shirts and suits but never felt comfortable in them...605 bp/705 dl/800 sq
Age? 29
Weight? 315 (6'4)
Drug free? yes
Videos? yes

Used a variety of different training methods, but I've just settled with this one for now as a matter of personal preference. 

Dou You said:
I believe he's talking in terms of Wendler's program which has a "big four". Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Military Press.

Well no I was reffering to the big three....competition totals.  Obviously being a Wendler follower I train all 4 though.

If the videos are on YouTube, could you PM me some links? I'd definitely like to see those lifts.

Actually, you said you were referring to "competition totals", so I'm assuming that 2110 was done in a meet? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The raw world record, without knee wraps, drug tested, at 308 lbs is 2102 lbs.

The raw record at 308, drug tested, with or without knee wraps is 2217. (By Konstantin Konstantiovs, someone who, in interviews, has said "hormones" are a very important part of his training.)

The non drug tested totals for 308 are 2160 and 2363, no knee wraps and with or without knee wraps. Those records being from 1971 and 1972, respectively.

SpaceMonkey_10 said:
Well no I was reffering to the big three....competition totals.  Obviously being a Wendler follower I train all 4 though.

My mistake, I thought you were referring to your one post about Wendler, and not for competitions...I'd love to see the videos as well though if it's possible.

Space Monkey_10, you can provide those videos to us any time. I'll consult with the guys who seem to be SME's here to see if their legit. Otherwise, STFU.

Edited: Well, he doesn't want to provide links to videos of his astonishing diaplays of strength, I wonder why?

He's asked to have his account deleted, back on track folks.

I am shocked he couldn't produce videos of a total nearing world record territory...

Kratos said:
I am shocked he couldn't produce videos of a total nearing world record territory...

He never said he couln't, he said he didn't have to and wouldn't.

I got the feeling that he felt we should just bow down to his internet tough guy schtick.

Meh.

Oh, so we were just supposed to take his word for it? I've been around the good ol' internet for a while now, so that doesn't really cut it. It never does. Usually when people make claims like that, they know they're going to be asked for evidence.

If someone is going to troll, they should at least make sure they're not using near WR figures for whatever it is.

This thread continues to be awesome.

Kratos said:
Oh, so we were just supposed to take his word for it?

According to him, yes.

I've been around the good ol' internet for a while now, so that doesn't really cut it. It never does. Usually when people make claims like that, they know they're going to be asked for evidence.

Not to derail this thread any further, but this does raise a very valid point and one that's been covered here before (think of guys coming in and posting BS military quals) There are a few threads on the site about it and we've had some spectacular flame outs over the years that I have been involved here.

Speaking of being asked for evidence: we have a guideline here that mandates a poster qualify information that they post.

Army.ca Conduct Guidelines: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937.0.html

Folks,

We've had a few instances lately where opinion and rumour have been presented as hard evidence. Unfortunately in many cases, the information is flat out wrong.

Due to the anonymous nature of these forums, it can be hard to tell if information is coming from someone in a position to know or just someone who "has a friend whose uncle served with the Botswana Defence Force in the 70's."

So our request is this: Please qualify unconfirmed information posted here.

That is, if you didn't witness it first hand or read it in the CFAO's, state that it's an opinion, rumour or best guess. We won't think any less of you for not "knowing" the information. In fact, we'll all appreciate the honesty, and it'll likely save readers heartache later on, when they find out (the hard way) that it wasn't exactly bang on. If you do know the source, please reference it with a link or include the related information in your post. If the source information is large or takes the discussion off topic you may want to consider making use of a footnote1 to provide references and sources that back up your claims.

There are lots of discussions which take place on this forum in which either none or all of us are "experts" in some way (politics, rifles, etc).  It's great that we can all discuss the daily news and have civil debate on contentious matters, however these boards are no different than the real world, and if you provide information to back up your claim, you better be willing to give us some proof.  If you base your opinions off of hearsay and rumor, be prepared to be called to task when you use up bandwidth on this board to tell us about it.

The only other alternative is to treat every bit of information posted here as heresay, which essentially makes the forums useless.

So please, make it very clear when you're posting the degree to which your information is confirmed. Opinions and best guesses are OK, just don't present them as being the DS solution.

Cheers and thanks

Mike Bobbitt

Now while it seems as though the above post is more about posting info here I would venture that it could be about proving one's self i.e with videos of a near record breaking lift, yeah? In fact, if it's already on Youtube then we're not exactly going to compromise the person's security, are we? I think you can get this without further explanation.

If someone is going to troll, they should at least make sure they're not using near WR figures for whatever it is.

Yup, and they shouldn't assume that no one else on the boards will just let those numbers fly...this guy just got caught and then got whiny when called for it, he's in for a rough ride, methinks.

This thread continues to be awesome.

Right, then I'll bow out and let you guys get it back on track!

Cheers and thanks for the help in outing a poser.

Scott
Army.ca Staff

Not sure what all the advice was, but the guy on the first page recommending you tear your muscles to shreds is a genius in my books.  It works.

I'd recommend a five set system for most muscle groups.

first set:  8-10 reps.
second set:  8-10 reps.
third set:  4-6 reps.
fourth set: 4-6 reps.
fifth set:  2-3 reps.

Essentially you find a weight you can do for 8-10 reps.  You do that for the first two sets.  Then you find a weight you can only do 4-6 reps with.  For the final set you want something that makes you work hard.  2 reps should feel like you're moving the world, and a 3rd rep should be a dream where once you finally are able to do that with the weight, you should start increasing the weight you're moving.

At least that's how I muscle train when I want to add strength and muscle mass.  Lots of people will recommend things, but this plus sleeping, resting, and a good diet will work for you.

Wendler is very known but id say if there are any gods of powerlifting, its Ed Coan, Louie Simmons, and Fred Hatfield Dr. Squat

Biggoals2bdone said:
Wendler is very known but id say if there are any gods of powerlifting, its Ed Coan, Louie Simmons, and Fred Hatfield Dr. Squat

Wendler is more well known for his 5/3/1 program and coaching than he is for his lifting.

He is probably the most experienced coach when it comes to training young/beginner/intermediate lifters.

I don't know if Ed Coan does much/any official coaching.

Louie Simmons and his Westside crew/gym...Multi-ply and pharmaceuticals.

I figure I would chirp in my own advice and give my thoughts based on my laboratory, my body and how it responds to weight training. I am very familiar with Wendler (I love his 5/3/1 material), Simmons, Poliquin, Thibaudeau, Hatfield, list goes on and on.

What I have found works is progressive ramps, start bold and go micro increases as weight increases. I do 1 maybe 2 exercises for per workout and maybe a little supplementary work depending on how I feel. A couple of observations I have made about strength training

1. Build strength, the body will add whatever muscle is appropriate (eat decently too), don't go hog wild on creatine and other supplements (except basic mineral stuff like magnesium)

2. When a lifter is begining, they can do whole body workouts with 3-4 exercises. This is basically because they lift less weight and there fore it is less taxing on the body. An exaqmple would be Squats, Bench Press and Barbell Rows

3. As a lifter gets stronger and the nervous systems gets taxed more, they must reduce the number of big bang exercises in a single workout. For example they may do Squats and weighted chins on one day, Overhead press and shrugs on another.

4. My own personal lifting tolerance I find I can do 2 upper body exercises in a workout and for the squat and deadlift each one must have their own day. Now I may do a little assistance work for the squat and deadlift after I am done but because those drills kick the **** out of me, I don't go overboard.

5. Lift hard, fast and strong (explode when possible) Thibadeau reccomends this and I have found this always worked well for me

6. I also tried Thibadeau reccomendation on not taxing the eccentric portion of any lift or minimizing it as much as possible. This is a recent change I have made and it has worked very well for my own recovery

7. You must employ trial and error for yourself and see over time what works. For example I do well with sumo deadlifts but I have another friend of mine who can't do them to save his life.

8. Concentrate on the big money exercises. Squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, bench press, overhead press, shrugs, dips and pull/chin ups

9. I can do weighted dips and pull ups but I can not tolerate a high volume of either exercise. Using dips as an example after benching, I can do a set of 6-8 reps with an additional 60 lbs or I can do one all out set for 20 or so reps. But I can not do more than 2 or 3 sets for either exercise without killing myself and not working out for 2-3 days

10. Going back to progressive ramping. I am firm beleiver in 3 magic numbers (for me anyways) 1-3-5 (coincidently wendler program does 5-3-1 over a 4 week cycle)
My way is to use one of those reps and use only that number of reps and progress up to a weight where I can no longer man handle the weight with excellent form and decent speed. Example Front Squat, I may do as follows (one of my recent workouts) 95 x 5, 115 x 5, 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 165 x 5, 175 x 5, 185 x 5, 195 x 5, 200 x 5, 205 x 5, 155 x 10 (Last set was a 20% reduced finisher). All reps done with maximum force and speed, minimal eccentric. In the case of squats, I also do jump squats with only my body for 3 reps between sets. I find this keeps my nervous system primed up. In this case I knew I reached my top weight for the day when the lifts slows down on the last 2 reps.

11. Too many people train like clowns. I see alot of guys weighing in at 150 lbs trying to build muscle and doing all isolation exercises.

12. Feeling burnt out or not into it? Try pure speed-explsoive (Westside dynamic style) drills. Use 50-60% 1RM and do 8-12 sets of 3 reps at UTMOST speed you can muster. In the case of back squats, I literally leap off the ground with the weight on my shoulder. Not vey far mind you but still a leap. I find these dynamic and explosive workouts re-prime the nervous system.

13. Wendler is quite right when he says you need to do back off work (the fourth week in his cycle is sets of 5 at much lower percentages.

14. Push ups are an excellent finisher to upper body workouts

15. Olympic lifts rock but make sure you get someone competent to teach you properly and do them on a proper platform. If you ever have to bail from a snatch, you can not be hesitating to drop the weight and get away from it. In the middle of a gym floor surrounded by people lifting is not safe.

16. Equal pulling with pushing exercises (or do slightly more pulling than pushing for upper body) Shoulders will thank you for it.

Thats my 16 cents.

I could not help it but I must say some more, please bear with

17. Do not mix the reps ranges (I saw someone reccomend pyriamiding 12 reps down to 2-3, no, no BIG NO! Its ineffective and its dangerous with bigger exercises)

18. I hate hearing people say "come on 2 more, its all you..." and then watching them assist the guy with lift. Lift the weight or rack it and call it a day. these are the same people I see lifting 205 in the bench press year after year. Your a clown. End story.

19. You can not lift at maximum capacity all the time, it will kick the crap out of your nervous system and you will regress.

20. If you want to lift higher reps, Chad Waterbury Big in a hurray method is awesome (for high reps). Say your doing Dumbbell Rowing with a weight you can initially handle for 12-14 explosive reps. You would pick a reasonable total number of reps (say 40) and do as few sets as  possible to meet that total number of reps (All reps explosive, emphasis). You might start off with 14 reps, next set down to 12 reps, third set, fatigue taking effect, 10 reps and last set 9 reps (You exceed total but it took that that extra set to meet minimal 40 reps). Read more on it, its good, again for HIGHER rep training

21. Don't moan, scream, hollar, snarl and grunt like animal in the weight room. Drop the dramatics. I love watching the clowns that hop on the machine leg press, put on 250 pounds and bang out quarter reps yelling like their lifting the weight of their lives. Shut up, focus and lift. Don't do machine lifts for the love of god.

22. Don't get carried away using stability balls, and other core/joint correcting platforms. Again too much of that, I lable you a clown.

23. LIFT EXPLOSIVELY!

Some more, I am going to sum up and stop there. For now.

Back