• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer occupations – Which one should I choose?

Hey so I just recently completed and passed the CFAT today in Ottawa. During the post-test meeting with the recruiter I was told that I passed the CFAT for the trades I'm applying for (MP and Infantry) but was told that my 3rd trade choice (intelligence officer) was no longer available. I recently just graduated from university last week with a degree in Criminology and had my sights set on the intelligence position. I was merely wondering if the intelligence officer role is being eliminated and perhaps  merging with another position or does that mean that they will not be hiring any more people for that position ?

Also I was told that I could select a 3rd trade choice to replace the Intelligence officer trade choice and was wondering if this would be beneficial for me or should I stay stick only 2 trade choices ?

skuoc019 said:
Hey so I just recently completed and passed the CFAT today in Ottawa. During the post-test meeting with the recruiter I was told that I passed the CFAT for the trades I'm applying for (MP and Infantry) but was told that my 3rd trade choice (intelligence officer) was no longer available. I recently just graduated from university last week with a degree in Criminology and had my sights set on the intelligence position. I was merely wondering if the intelligence officer role is being eliminated and perhaps  merging with another position or does that mean that they will not be hiring any more people for that position ?

Also I was told that I could select a 3rd trade choice to replace the Intelligence officer trade choice and was wondering if this would be beneficial for me or should I stay stick only 2 trade choices ?

Are you that little kid who is not happy with the answer "NO" given to them by their father that they then try asking the same question of their mother hoping to get a "YES"?

George Wallace said:
Are you that little kid who is not happy with the answer "NO" given to them by their father that they then try asking the same question of their mother hoping to get a "YES"?

** DIRECTING STAFF BANNER IS NOTED AND ACCOUNTED FOR **

Now now, wallace... I think he was asking a legitimate question and was looking for some truthful insight...

My guess would be that he's asking so he can decide whether to remove the trade choice from his application entirely (if the trade is being merged with another and therefor non existent) or if he should keep it on there in hopes that he will be selected for it when it becomes open again.

I've read somewhere in the posting rules and ethics that everyone on the forum is to be treated as an equal until they are proven unequal, via slander, insult, etc. . .

Im sure I'll be given some sort of negative "motivation" via MP deductions, warning flag, or Ban-hammer administration for stating this. However, I feel I've justified cause to speak out.

Power is a dangerous thing. Turns the good into evil, and the evil - satanic.

steiner0400 said:
** DIRECTING STAFF BANNER IS NOTED AND ACCOUNTED FOR **

Now now, wallace... I think he was asking a legitimate question and was looking for some truthful insight...

PLEASE. 

He is asking the same question in several threads. 

What say you now?

George Wallace said:
PLEASE. 

He is asking the same question in several threads. 

What say you now?

I as a simple poster, do not research the tendencies of other posters unless otherwise provoked.
Suppose I'll dip my spoon a little and see what he's come up with.  ;)

Thanks for no disciplinary motivation as well. :)

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. Firstly want to thank everyone for sharing such wealth of information/experience. Its very helpful and makes new candidates, like myself, feel comfortable.

Little background about myself. I am currently pursuing a pilot position in RCAF as DEO. Already started my application process and cleared CFAT. I do not have any prior flying experience. And I am a year away from finishing my undergrad.

Following are my questions:
1. I have to submit my university transcripts to show I am currently enrolled in a program. Thing is in my first year university, due to lack of seriousness and unforeseen family emergencies , I did really poorly(I mean bombed pretty much all my courses). Since then, I have worked hard to improve. But those "F" still show on my transcripts from 1st year. Will my 1st year marks play role in the selection process ? or Interview ?

2.I was advised by a recruiter that it will be helpful to get a pilots license. I know having some flying experience will help with sim flying during CFATs. But does having an actual license help in selection process ? as its really costly to get a pilots license.

NOTE: Not questioning the recruiter. Just want to make an informed decision and give my best shot. As this is something I want to succeed at.
:salute:

suneek said:
I was advised by a recruiter that it will be helpful to get a pilots license. I know having some flying experience will help with sim flying during CFATs. But does having an actual license help in selection process ?

There has been a fair amount of discussion about that here, and in the real world. Opinions vary.

If you want a civ licence, get one. If not, don't bother. Students are taught things not covered on private pilot courses, like simple aerobatics. Habits can also form, and they can be hard to break when an instructor on a CF flying course wants a sequence done our way. A few flights may give you a little more comfort in the air, but many earn their Wings with no previous experience at all. Our system is designed to teach everything that one needs.

Just be prepared to work harder than you ever have before.

Thank you for the response sir.

It makes sense. I have been on 2-3 flights with a friend and it took some time to understand how instruments relate/behave to each other. Will be helpful during ACS.

I am prepared to give my absolute best shot at this.
:cdn:

Hi guys,
I apologize if this has been answered recently or if this is not the place to ask it. I searched through the forum, but did so on the tapatalk app on my iPhone so I don't know how reliable that is.

I was just wondering if anyone is aware who makes the final decision who joins with the new process. I am aware that HQ decides who moves on for further processing after you take the CFAT. After that though, once you're merit listed, does the CFRC decide whether or not you get "the call" and when, or does your medical, interview, etc. get sent back to HQ who decides if you'll get the call?
Further to that, who decides whether or not you're merit listed?

Thanks for any advice! :)

niftynicolemarie said:
Hi guys,
I apologize if this has been answered recently or if this is not the place to ask it. I searched through the forum, but did so on the tapatalk app on my iPhone so I don't know how reliable that is.

I was just wondering if anyone is aware who makes the final decision who joins with the new process. I am aware that HQ decides who moves on for further processing after you take the CFAT. After that though, once you're merit listed, does the CFRC decide whether or not you get "the call" and when, or does your medical, interview, etc. get sent back to HQ who decides if you'll get the call?
Further to that, who decides whether or not you're merit listed?

Thanks for any advice! :)

Seeing as it takes anywhere from 7 to 10 (business) days from selection to the beginning of "the call roll out" (when people start stating theyve gotten the call) I think its safe to assume that its HQ who decides if youre fit for the selection board and your local head office who in turn agrees with the choices... Those are then sent to your local cfrc...

As far as determining your meritability, I think thats decided based on all the steps you go through... Having passed your CFAT (and tsd? If thats the acronym for it) with a competative score, being reliability screened and passing that, being deemed medically fit, and being seen as fit via personal interview...

Im not too sure why any of this really matters though...

steiner0400 said:
Seeing as it takes anywhere from 7 to 10 (business) days from selection to the beginning of "the call roll out" (when people start stating theyve gotten the call) I think its safe to assume that its HQ who decides if youre fit for the selection board and your local head office who in turn agrees with the choices... Those are then sent to your local cfrc...

As far as determining your meritability, I think thats decided based on all the steps you go through... Having passed your CFAT (and tsd? If thats the acronym for it) with a competative score, being reliability screened and passing that, being deemed medically fit, and being seen as fit via personal interview...

Im not too sure why any of this really matters though...

Only asking to get an idea of timeline. My CFRC advised me they would like to get me on the July 23 selection for my trade choice. That's a lot less likely to happen if they aren't the ones who make the decision.

niftynicolemarie said:
Only asking to get an idea of timeline. My CFRC advised me they would like to get me on the July 23 selection for my trade choice. That's a lot less likely to happen if they aren't the ones who make the decision.

Im quite positive they do, however, have the ability to place a memo on file with your application stating they see good reason to expedite your process...
Where do you currently sit in tbe process... Try to adhere to the same format my signature is for dates and stages.

steiner0400 said:
Im quite positive they do, however, have the ability to place a memo on file with your application stating they see good reason to expedite your process...
Where do you currently sit in tbe process... Try to adhere to the same format my signature is for dates and stages.
I can't seem to find signatures on the app so I hope this will do:

Recruiting Centre: Fredericton
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: RMS Clerk
Trade Choice 2: Met tech
Trade Choice 3: WFE tech
Application Date (Online): March 27, 2014
First Contact: April 23, 2014
CFAT: May 22, 2014
Interview: Scheduled July 8,2014
Medical: June 26, 2014 (passed medical standards)
Merit Listed: tbd
Position Offered: - tbd
Sworn in: - tbd
BMQ: tbd

To add to this my references have not said anything about being called yet and I have no idea if my clearances/ credit checks etc. were done.

Cant see why you couldnt be merit listed within tbe month, give them a call and ask about the reliability screening. They might need something else to complete it. Happened to me...

steiner0400 said:
Cant see why you couldnt be merit listed within tbe month, .....l.

As someone who is NOT yet in the Canadian Armed Forces, you should not be giving any advice or speculating on what is going on with anyone's process.  Leave that to people who are "in the know".  We call it "Staying in your Lanes."  You have wandered way outside of your Lanes.

I am positive you have been WARNED on this already.

George Wallace said:
As someone who is NOT yet in the Canadian Armed Forces, you should not be giving any advice or speculating on what is going on with anyone's process.  Leave that to people who are "in the know".  We call it "Staying in your Lanes."  You have wandered way outside of your Lanes.

I am positive you have been WARNED on this already.

Well, instead of speculating against me, why not point them in the right direction? I mean, seeing as youre part of the 'directing staff' it only seems fitting that you, um, direct....

Im not trying to look like the rebellious bad ass or anything, but it seems your only really here to state youve got absolute power.
Not trying to instill any false hope either. Im simply implying that - based on what theyve said and the pace of their application - I dont see any reason as to why they can't hope to expect to be merit listed by the time selections come around for their trades...

Perhaps you could direct them to the "ask a cf recruiter" thread... Since im sure that may be your job here as well as administering the cans of whoop ass you seem to buy in bulk at the local costco..

Forgive my "being out of line", havent quite been whipped into shape by my superiors yet. ;)

steiner0400 said:
Well, instead of speculating against me, why not point them in the right direction? I mean, seeing as youre part of the 'directing staff' it only seems fitting that you, um, direct....

Well excuse me.  I am so sorry that I don't spoon feed intelligent people who want to join the Canadian Armed Forces.  People intelligent enough to find this site, and use GOOGLE to find information.  I am so sorry that they need to be molly coddled and have their hands held as they contemplate what their futures may be. 

steiner0400 said:
Im not trying to look like the rebellious bad ass or anything, but it seems your only really here to state youve got absolute power.

Nice attitude there.  As a sidebar, may I suggest that you follow your own advice when telling someone to use proper spelling and grammar. 

steiner0400 said:
Not trying to instill any false hope either. Im simply implying that - based on what theyve said and the pace of their application - I dont see any reason as to why they can't hope to expect to be merit listed by the time selections come around for their trades...

Please read: TIMINGS - ESTIMATED TIMES FOR_______________

steiner0400 said:
Perhaps you could direct them to the "ask a cf recruiter" thread... Since im sure that may be your job here as well as administering the cans of whoop ass you seem to buy in bulk at the local costco..

There you go with your piss poor attitude again.

steiner0400 said:
Forgive my "being out of line", havent quite been whipped into shape by my superiors yet. ;)

Please note your grammatical and spelling errors highlighted in YELLOW.

Now down to business:

1.  All prospects should READ first before posting.  Try this topic: BEFORE YOU POST - READ THIS:

2.  It is all site members responsibility to READ:  Army.ca Conduct Guidelines

3.  The CAF Recruiters want you to READ:  READ FIRST

4.  Google search of Army.ca - http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=+site%3Aarmy.ca+%22search+term%22&btnG=Search&meta= (follow the link then replace "search term" with what you are looking for)

5.  And to finish off, steiner0400....WELCOME to the WARNING SYSTEM.

I am sorry if this question has already been asked, I have done a brief search and did not find the question.

When I initially applied a few months ago I applied to be an officer in the Air Force. I have just completed my CFAT, and was told that two of the positions that I want I will be required to wait for. The first, Log officer, are usually open in April, and the ACSO is filled at the moment. I have found two other trades to replace the ACSO and need to decide between them. One is Sig O and the other is CELE. My degree is in administration, but I do have various college level diplomas and post-graduate certificates in computer studies and 5 years experience in IT. CELE is hiring but not in demand, and Sig O is hiring but is in demand.

My question is this, If I originally put on my application that I wanted to be in the Air force, my other two applications Log Officer and HCA Officer, are non branch specific, can I add the Sig O which is army to my application? In all honesty, I personally do not mind which branch I serve in as long as I serve in the military.

So do I add the Sig O which is in demand and hiring or the CELE which is not in demand but is hiring all the same.

From what I have seen they are pretty similar.

Thank you.

Anten33 said:
I have found two other trades to replace the ACSO and need to decide between them. One is Sig O and the other is CELE. My degree is in administration, but I do have various college level diplomas and post-graduate certificates in computer studies and 5 years experience in IT. CELE is hiring but not in demand, and Sig O is hiring but is in demand.

My question is this, If I originally put on my application that I wanted to be in the Air force, my other two applications Log Officer and HCA Officer, are non branch specific, can I add the Sig O which is army to my application? In all honesty, I personally do not mind which branch I serve in as long as I serve in the military.

So do I add the Sig O which is in demand and hiring or the CELE which is not in demand but is hiring all the same.

You can try but I am pretty sure you will be told that your "degree" is not compatable with either the Sigs or CELE occupations.  However, they "might" give consideration to your post-grad certs and prior work experience, in which case, they would need to request an "education" waiver prior to allowing you to apply for these two occupations.  Your chances for both are pretty much the same.

Never hurts to try.....

I apologize, I may not have worded my question correctly.

Can I have an application open for both an air force trade and an army trade?

DDA your reply has raised more questions for me, if as you say
You can try but I am pretty sure you will be told that your "degree" is not compatable with either the Sigs or CELE occupations.
, then why is there no specific university education listed for the position. For example

Sig DEO
If you already have a university degree, the Forces will decide if your academic program matches the criteria for this job and may place you directly into the required on-the-job training program following basic training.

MPO DEO
If you already have a university degree, preferably in a criminal justice-related field, the Forces will decide if your academic background matches the criteria for this job and may place you directly into the required job training program following basic training.

Also I have read a few other posts in regards to the Sig O, and the difference between the NCM position and the Officer position, is that the NCM does more of the technical work, installation and maintenance work, and the officer commands, delegates, and administers the functions involved with the time management, project management, and resource management involved with meeting the strategic goals of the unit. If that is so why would they exclude someone with an education with administration where we focus on these management areas.

Thank you.

Back