• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Governor General Service Medal?

Should the Governor General issue a Volunteer Service Medal for General Service?

• Yes

Votes: 39 40.2%
  • No, too expensive

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Just for trades that dont see theatre action

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • No

Votes: 35 36.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iterator said:
I see the intent... but the 12? Do you have a different source for the E.D.

Efficiency Decoration
Instituted 17 October 1930
Branch of Service: Territorial Army (UK), the Indian Volunteer Forces and the Colonial Volunteer Forces.

"The 20-year qualification was reduced to 12 years in 1949, bars for each addition 6 years being added."

(Medal Yearbook 2007, Token Publishing 2007)

Kiwi99 said:
Why are we so afraid of being like the Americans?  They are a fine fighting force whom we have ridiculed before for no reason.  So they have smarter looking dress uniforms than we do, maybe we could take a hint from them to fix the blandness of ours.

Are our green DEUs not almost exactly the same as the American dress uniforms, with fewer ribbons?

good lord no!

Also... the US army is going back to a yankee blue

With all the talk of medals these days, perhaps it is time to reprise this old topic.

Trinkets.  Trinkets for those who think the CF should be like the Boy Scouts.  "I want a medal for Sewing, 'cause I had to sew my name on my socks and underwear on BMQ!"

::)

For Christ sake.  We have a system in place for HONOURS and AWARDS.  It isn't for TRIVIA and SOUVINIRS. 

Perhaps we should institute something for the growing number of whiners after all.  Let's be like the Americans.  You get a medal for a 'Significant Event'; for all else you get a Ribbon.  Three years Service, you get a Ribbon.  Twelve years Service, you get the CD (Medal).  Deploying overseas, you get a Ribbon.  You deploy to a War Zone, you get a Medal. 

geo said:
good lord no!

Also... the US army is going back to a yankee blue

Good for them. That 'Hospital Green' ugly suit they wear now needs to go. On the other hand, it makes CF Greens look good so maybe we should lobby for them to keep it?

The GGIGNDN (Governor General's I've Gone Nowhere and Done Nothing) medal has surfaced on Facebook.  http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Governor-Generals-Volunteer-Service-Medal-GGVSM/391940725883?ref=nf

Please let it be stillborn.

I, like others have the ADM, and I don't see anything wrong with the idea. IMHO medals ar more than operational, they are awards.

Some may be humbled and not want such, but others such as families of vets and other vets (former and serving) will.  If I was eligible for such, I would add it to my rack of 'operational' and 'been no where medals' without question.

OWDU

George Wallace said:
Crying for a medal for experimenting with the CF for a couple of years, and finding it was not to your liking sounds too petty and selfish to me. 
Whoa, that's pretty harsh -- Sunil Ram does read these threads now and then!  ;)

I know the post is dated, George; I likely missed it because I dismissed this thread's topic as a dumbass idea when it was intially proposed.

JM if it does come about then Sunil would actually qualify for a "real" medal as opposed to his eBay bling. Hmmm wonder what the order of wearing those would be.  8)

I thought I'd add this for ALCON's info.

Here is the Australian ADM criteria  http://www.defence.gov.au/medals/Content/+047%20ADM%20+%20ANSM/+070%20ADM/

Australian Defence Medal

The Australian Defence Medal (ADM) has been established to recognise Australian Defence Force Regular and Reserve personnel who have demonstrated their commitment and contribution to the nation by serving for an initial enlistment period or four years service whichever is the lesser.

Her Majesty the Queen approved the Regulations and Letters Patent for the medal on 20 March 2006 and these were promulgated in Commonwealth of Australia Gazette No. S 48 of 30 March 2006 .

The Medal
The ADM is a cupro-nickel medal with the stylised version of the Commonwealth Coat of Arms used on the Australia Service Medal 1939-45 surrounded by the inscription 'THE AUSTRALIAN DEFENCE MEDAL' above a sprig of wattle on the obverse. The reverse has the inscription 'FOR SERVICE' below the Crown of St Edward all surrounded by a wattle wreath. The use of the wreath acknowledges the sacrifice of those who have died in service or been discharged due to injury resulting from service, a secondary qualification for the medal.

The Ribbon
The ADM ribbon is red with black edges, the colours of the Flanders poppy that represent the Anzac spirit of the Australian armed forces. The white stripes divide the ribbon into three, to denote the three Services and also represent service contributing to the peace of Australia .

Eligibility
The Australian Defence Medal recognises Australian Defence Force personnel who have efficiently completed either:

•an initial enlistment period, or
•four years service,
whichever is the lesser, and all of the relevant service was after 3 September 1945.

Included are former Defence Force members who did not complete the qualifying period because they:

•died in service,
•were medically discharged (based upon individual circumstances), or
•left the service due to a Defence workplace policy of the time. (For example, in the past a woman was required to resign on marriage.)
World War II veterans are not eligible for the Australian Defence Medal unless they were demobilised, re-enlisted after 3 September 1945 and then met the above criteria. The Australia Service Medal 1939-45 is the Australian award for the recognition of World War II service.

Order of Wear
The position of the ADM in the Australian Order of Wear may be found here.

How to apply for the ADM
Ex-Serving Members
Applications should be made to Defence Honours and Awards, Department of Defence.

In addition to being available via this website (click here), the application form for the ADM is available from the RSL and other Ex-Service Organisations.

It is important that applicants provide proof of service with their application. This can include a certified true copy (no originals please) of their Certificate of Service or Discharge Certificate or any other official documents which confirm the length of their service. Providing these documents will greatly speed up the assessment process for the medal. Ex-serving personnel who do not have certificates of service or other supporting documentation, should not contact Central Army Records Office, Navy records or RAAF records. Their applications should be submitted to DH&A regardless, who will then contact the service archives on behalf of applicants to conduct an assessment.

Permanent Members
Current serving full-time members will be assessed automatically in line with the new process for assessing long service awards through PMKeys.

It has been found however that some permanent members are not able to be assesses through this process. If this applies to you, please contact DH&A so that the matter can be rectified without delay.

Reserve Members
Reserve members will need to apply as DH&A is unable to assess eligibility automatically using PMKeyS. Reservists should have their application certified by their current Commanding Officer as this will expedite the assessment process.

Reserve members, who have previously been awarded a long service award for fifteen or more years service will still need to apply. This is essential to ensure current contact/address details are recorded by DH&A for expedient dispatch of the medal. It should be noted however that this will not result in any delays with determining eligibility for the medal.

Medal Presentation
Recipients are encouraged to elect to have their medal presented to them by a senior military officer and their federal member of parliament at a ceremony in their electorate.

These occasions have proved a very popular way to celebrate the awards with other recipients. You can bring up to three guests to witness this moving occasion. The ceremonies include light refreshments and are held twice a year in each electorate.

To indicate your preference to receive your medal at a presentation ceremony, please tick the presentation box in the grey section at the bottom of the ADM application form.

Medal Mounting
If required, a medal mounting service can be provided from medals dealers whose details may be found under the medals section of the Yellow Pages.

---------------------

I don't know about others, but I am quite proud of all my medals and my service. Spending over 34 years of my life in two armies from the frozen training areas of Dundurn as a 17 yr old, to patrolling the streets of Baghdad.

I signed the petiton, as have over 4,000 others.

OWDU

I don't think it would be a bad idea, personally, since serving in the CF comes with lots of sacrifices and all that...

But anyway. Yeah, like other said, money would be better spend on the equipment

Yawn....

Another medal for 'Showing up on time, or having buddies cover for you when you can't/won't' is certainly foolish. Do 12 like so many before have done and be proud of said freebee. I've seen far too many 'racks' while in Ottawa to believe another is necessary.

Please don't fire flame with 'not everyone is around for 12'. Certainly unfortunate, however out of mine or any other human hands.

I agree.  Why would we want to create a medal for someone who didn't want to Serve?  Do the time for the CD and then get a medal (CD).  Try out the military and then find it isn't your cup of tea; doesn't deserve the time (ours), money (pension), nor gong.

I agree, this is a stupid idea - we already have the CD for committing to 12 years why would we need something for less?  With 25+ years I have never felt a need for another useless medal, in fact I always felt the CD was a waste.

[rant]
The Canadian Forces Decoration is not a waste, IMHO.  It is of the type of medal known as a "Long Service and Good conduct Medal".  Not just 12 years, but also good conduct.  Bars awarded every ten years after that.  Think about it.  In our society, people rarely have the same job for 22 years, let alone 12.  It is a sign of dedication to service, and to call it a waste cheapens it, because not everyone gets one.
[/rant]

Recognition of service has always been important. Prior to integration/unification in the 1960s, both the Navy and the Army recognized service in three year increments, if I recall correctly – the Navy by chevrons on one sleeve, below the rank badge* for ranks below CPO, the trade badge being on the other sleeve; and the Army with upside down chevrons (maximum three) on one sleeve, below the marksmanship badge, for corporals and privates (and assorted equivalents thereto). I cannot remember what happened to these stripes after one was awarded the CD.

Maybe that’s a better option than a medal.

-----
*The Navy, I think, had no rank badge for any one below leading seaman/corporal. But one did see ”three badge ABs” now and again (looking a bit like army sergeants) – long service sailors who had never achieved or had forfeited LS or better rank. (AB = able seaman, LS = leading seaman)

E.R. Campbell said:
Maybe that’s a better option than a medal.

The lower left sleeve is the first thing I ( discreetly ) glance at whenever I meet a cop, fireman or paramedic for the first time.
Every maple leaf ( or Maltese Cross or caduceus ) represents five years of completed service.
There are also the Exemplary Service Medals. You get the medal after twenty years, and a bar every ten years thereafter.
http://archive.gg.ca/honours/medals/hon04-esm_e.asp
http://archive.gg.ca/honours/search-recherche/index_e.asp?TypeID=esm

In addition, the Province of Ontario and City of Toronto also award Long Service medals and bars to Police Officers, Firefighters and Paramedics.

P.S.
Not sure if this was previously posted, or not. In case it has not:
http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/defencewatch/archive/2009/09/05/pushing-for-a-governor-general-s-volunteer-service-medal-to-honor-veterans.aspx

Sorry but that is my opinion made even more so when I found out that the GG receives it once sworn in.  Even the government and DND thought so little of it they felt it was suitable to give to the GG to dress him/her up which cheapens it IMO. 12 years without a charge is nothing special - look at how many of these are given out.  Nor does it actually mean good conduct - it only means you avoided being charged and found guilty. Some people say 12 years undetected crime while I say 12 years unprosecuted crime as I have seen so many cases of the wrist slap vice charges laid. If they stopped giving it to the GG (let them have their own medal if it is really needed) and set the first level at 22 years I would be more inclined to agree with them.

You of course are entitled to your opinion which I have heard many times and I have no problem with people viewing it as something worthy of the cost but I never will and feel it should be done away with.  Mind you I also feel Income Tax should be set at one flat rate for everyone with no deductibles, welfare should be for a limited number of years and jailbirds shouldn't be pampered but that won't happen either.

CountDC said:
12 years without a charge is nothing special - look at how many of these are given out.  Nor does it actually mean good conduct - it only means you avoided being charged and found guilty.

Shall we also do away with all those medals people get just because they went somewhere?  After all, it was only their job, why should we waste money on gongs for that?

And how about those ones that people get just because their boss says they did something special?  Doesn't that just smack of favoritism and leave out everyone else who just didn't get noticed as a special person?

Yup, lets do away with they whole damn medal thing, it's obviuosly a waste of our time and money.

May I suggest The Canadian Honours System, by Christopher McCreery, to improve your understanding of Canadian orders, decorations and medals.  While your opinion is no doubt of value to you, more facts might help you form a better argument to support it.

Michael O'Leary said:
May I suggest The Canadian Honours System, by Christopher McCreery, to improve your understanding of Canadian orders, decorations and medals.  While your opinion is no doubt of value to you, more facts might help you form a better argument to support it.

I have borrowed it from the library. It's a wonderful book. This is the authors website:
http://www.christophermccreery.com/#SlideFrame_1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back