• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Governor General Service Medal?

Should the Governor General issue a Volunteer Service Medal for General Service?

• Yes

Votes: 39 40.2%
  • No, too expensive

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Just for trades that dont see theatre action

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • No

Votes: 35 36.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
...and this one is spinning around the bowl nicely, over an asinine petition just to get more "salad" for their DEUs or Legion jacket. Towards the Gap summed it up.

Troops wonder why things like this are left to the higher powers that be who actually sit down and weigh the Merritt of a new gong.

So, if someone out there is petty enough and really wants a new medal to put on their chest you can go here and get one.

Screw it....VCs for everyone who passed BMQ/ Cornwallis!          ::)

Regards

PIC said:
Petition:
To The Government of Canada

Whereas:

1. During a specified period of Service to their Country, Canadians, from 3 September 1939, to 1 March 1947, received the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal, and 

These were awarded to persons who "Volunteered" during WW II.  Not the same as what is proposed in this petition.

PIC said:
2. During a specified period of Service to their Country, Canadians, from 27 June 1950, to 27 July 1953, received the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal for Korea;

Again, these were awarded to persons who "Volunteered" during the Korean War years.  Again, not what the petition proposes.

PIC said:
We, the undersigned residents of Canada, respectfully call upon the Government of Canada, to recognize by means of the issuance of a new Canadian Volunteer Service Medal, to be designated “The Governor General’s Volunteer Service Medal”, for volunteer service by Canadians in the Regular and Reserve Military Forces and Cadet Corps Support Staff who were not eligible for the aforementioned medals and who have completed 365 days of uninterrupted honourable duty in the service of their country Canada, since 2 March 1947.

This is not consistant with the two examples that are being used to justify this medal. 

ArmyVern said:
And, I give this thread another 6 weeks hours before we circle around the drain to the exact same thing once again.

There.  Fixed that for you.

A medal for one year of service?  Really?

I like the misleading use of the word "vetran" to tug on the heart strings of Canadians ... of course at 365 days in uniform one is lucky to just be complete trainig let alone be a vetran.

I'm going to hate myself for this later, but here goes.  Firstly, I DO NOT SUPPORT THIS IDEA IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM.  However (you knew it was coming) for those of you in the "why do you need outward symbols of achievement, the warm fuzzy feeling from a job well done is enough for me" camp,  why then do you accept promotions, career courses, jammy taskings, and four star postings?  Just for doing your job well?  Isn't the satisfaction of being great at what you do enough?  Gimme a frickin' break, EVERYONE likes to receive public recognition for accomplishments.  Everyone on this site with more than basic training and a Timmie's run under their belt has an "I love me" wall somewhere in their home.  Doing a good job in the military is like pissing yourself in a dark blue suit, you get a warm feeling, but it goes away quickly and nobody else notices.

In the land down under there is a medal called ADM which is quite similar to the proposal
Feel free to google "ADM" or Australian Defence Medal in your search engin.
You may be enlightened.

"Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"
_______________________________GGP___________________________________
:nod:

Because maintaining a pulse for 365 days, albeit whilst in uniform, is in no way shape or form, an achievement. The whole point of medals is to recognise service above and beyond the normal day to day routine. This medal is proposed solely to recognise the mundane, routine, day to day....

PIC said:
In the land down under there is a medal called ADM which is quite similar to the proposal
You may be enlightened.

"Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"
_______________________________GGP___________________________________
:nod:

I already see the members of the CF, who have the moral courage, discipline, dedication and commitment receiving an award for their 'Service'.  It is the Canadian Forces Decoration.  Those who do not have this moral courage, discipline, dedication and commitment do not receive this award.

In your 'Petition', the examples you use have a higher criteria to be met than the proposed medal.  The petition is for an award that really degrades the moral courage, discipline, dedication and commitment of those who have served with distinction long enough to be awarded a CD.  This is a totally flawed petition, and totally unnecessary.  Its criteria should be the same as for those examples that you have provided: "For Volunteer Service in time of War".........not for signing on the dotted line as a whim and then finding out that you don't like military life.

Do you see why this is such an objectionable and unnecessary petition yet?

Baden  Guy said:
I am retired Air Force, have a CD with bar and the done my time in NATO medal, and I also held onto my old wedge.

I am not a member of the Legion but I attend every Remembrance day ceremony in honour of those who served and sacrificed.

Many vets wear their medals and old service head dress as they stand among the crowd. For some reason I have yet to do the same.

I am interested in the thinking on whether I should or should not wear the medals and head dress.

Also at my age the thought occurs of what do people do with medals after they pass on and family don't want them?

Speaking only for myself: I, habitually, attend that service at the National War Memorial and then go to my mess for a drink and lunch and, perhaps, a few more drinks with friends and fellow retired officers. The "dress of the day," for we old retired folk, is regimental blazer and flannels with medals. I conform, with the few, relatively tame medals awarded to me.

Several of my friends wear headdress at the service; several others, me included, do not - that goes for those who march in the various and sundry veterans' contingents and those, like me, who simply watch.

Re: passing on medals - I understand that most museums are overstocked with medals and some decline to accept any more, unless they are, somehow, special, perhaps related to an existing display. My suggestion is to sell them to one of the many reputable militaria collectors who, as far as I know, treat them with respect.

Kat Stevens said:
Doing a good job in the military is like pissing yourself in a dark blue suit, you get a warm feeling, but it goes away quickly and nobody else notices.

I never heard that before, but it is a classic. Do you mind if I steal borrow it sometime?

mariomike said:
I never heard that before, but it is a classic. Do you mind if I steal borrow it sometime?
Feel free, it's open source, and I'm not the original author.

PIC said:
And don't forget
As for the total mumble jumble of the thread.......it is caused by those who have nothing good to say about squat. Unless of course it pertains to their own fattened belly.

I think this pretty well says it all.
What I have noticed is the fact that those who do support this initiative simply sign the petition.
Thank you
PIC

PIC said:
You may be enlightened.
You haven't read much here, have you?

Feel free to google "ADM" or Australian Defence Medal in your search engine; read through the debate and you'll see that the consensus here is "that's nice."

Using an Australian medal to support your argument is as rational as using American or Tanzanian criteria for their medals.

...or quoting yourself to support an argument, which pretty well does says it all. Sadly though, saying those who disagree with you on this medal must have "fattened bellies and nothing good to say about squat," speaks volumes about the absent justification for this medal.

But thanks for the attempted enlightenment.

PIC said:
This is not my petition........lets get that straight.

We all know that, however, you seem to have taken on the task of garnering support; so in essence, it is "your petition", flawed as it is.

As for this BS:

PIC said:
As for the total mumble jumble of the thread.......it is caused by those who have nothing good to say about squat. Unless of course it pertains to their own fattened belly.

PIC said:
What I have noticed is the fact that those who do support this initiative simply sign the petition.
Thank you
PIC

It only tells me that you are a twit.

Having just looked at the comments made in the petition I wonder how many of the people that signed it are aware of the current Canadian Honours and Awards.  Most people (in my opinion from reading their comments) don't seem to be aware that we have the CD and a lot of people say it is the least we can do for our veterans.  I think using the word veteran is just a ploy to pull on peoples emotions, hence why the are calling it "Volunteer Service Medal for Veterans" vice "Volunteer Service Medal for CF Members". 

PIC said:
Thank you
PIC

And those who oppose this initiative explain why they do so, in an effort to dissuade others from signing a petition for a gong that many consider useless or, even, an affront.

I don't support the issue or creation of this medal either. If you are unwilling to complete 12 yrs, as so many have identified so far, than why should you get awarded a single thing. Severance pay is only for those that serve over 10 years, whats next? 6 weeks of BMQ and a failure then heres a thousand bucks and a thanks for coming out medal??? 12 yrs plus shows dedication, lets leave it at that.

dangerboy said:
Having just looked at the comments made in the petition I wonder how many of the people that signed it are aware of the current Canadian Honours and Awards.  Most people (in my opinion from reading their comments) don't seem to be aware that we have the CD and a lot of people say it is the least we can do for our veterans.  I think using the word veteran is just a ploy to pull on peoples emotions, hence why the are calling it "Volunteer Service Medal for Veterans" vice "Volunteer Service Medal for CF Members".

I think that you have hit the hammer on the head.  It is a point that many, as you have pointed out, have been to lazy to research or investigate, and I believe PIC hasn't bothered to research.  We do have an Honours and Awards system in place to deal with such matters. 

What about all of us who have 'served honourably' in various locations around the country; does that give us cause to be awarded some of the Provincial awards as well?  Looking at the Chart of Awards at DH&R, there are Provincial medals that precede the Star of Military Valour:

G.O.Q., O.Q., C.Q.    (Quebec)
S.O.M.                        (Saskatchewan)
O. Ont.                        (Ontario)
O.B.C.                          (BC)
A.O.E.                          (Albert)
O.P.E.I.                        (PEI)
O.M.                            (Manitoba)
O.N.B.                          (NB)
O.N.S.                          (NS)
O.N.L.                          (Newfoundland and Labrador)

These are among the 25 medals that have precedence over the Star of Military Valour, the Star of Courage, and the Metorious Service Cross; and the 107 medals that have precedence over the CD.  Because I have served in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta; as well as in the Territories, do I deserve these medals as well?  Let's get realistic about this.  What this petition is all about is a 'Cause' to create a redundant award, by people who haven't bothered to meet the criteria to be awarded a medal in the past.

On a completely different tangent, if you had military medals and an Olympic medal, would you be allowed to wear the Olympic medal with your DEUs?

Technoviking, can you please look up the regulations to see if I can wear my Shotput 1st Place ribbon I got on Grade 8 Track & Field day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back