• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Brunswick Shale Gas Protests

Lightguns said:
The weapons haul is 2 SKSs, 400 rounds for them, 1 scoped P14 and 100 rounds, 2 bear spray, 12 pipe bombs of various sizes, fire bombs were mentioned but not displayed. A cop friend says the SKS were unpinned mags.

Not sure what the exact exemptions are but the Canadian Firearms Act doesn't apply Status FN in full. Its that whole "way of life/need to survive"/"no hunting restrictions" stuff. It seems they have it easy when it comes to Firearms, I doubt its true, apparently they don't need a PAL either.

Great. Now the SKS will be on the RCMP hit list as an assault\ terrorist weapon, to be outlawed along with the FN family, etc.

Back in the day, we had a talk about CCO by a British exchange officer who had done time during "the troubles". His solution to the display of lit molotov cocktails was to shoot the holder in the center of visible mass, and preferably before the holder of said cocktail was able to throw.

I don't think many people would step forward with a firebomb if that was the police/security force response....

PrairieThunder said:
Not sure what the exact exemptions are but the Canadian Firearms Act doesn't apply Status FN in full. Its that whole "way of life/need to survive"/"no hunting restrictions" stuff. It seems they have it easy when it comes to Firearms, I doubt its true, apparently they don't need a PAL either.

As a former card-carrying, status indian, I have never heard anything about not having the Canadians Firearms Act applied in full and I certainly had to go through the whole same sh*tty process of getting a PAL and PAL-restricted.

Since resources belong to the province, Ottawa should simply tell NB that the revenue is theirs, and since you now have the potential to ba a "have" province, the Feds will step off stage and let NB manage its wealth.

This will take a lot of pressure off Ottawa's books, and put everyone in NB on notice as to who is really standing in the way of their well being.

Thucydides said:
Since resources belong to the province, Ottawa should simply tell NB that the revenue is theirs, and since you now have the potential to ba a "have" province, the Feds will step off stage and let NB manage its wealth.

This will take a lot of pressure off Ottawa's books, and put everyone in NB on notice as to who is really standing in the way of their well being.

What an evil scheme.

Another is to ask the Reserves why they would not want to collect any Royalties from resources recovered from their lands?

Jim Seggie said:
Observing.

The Warriors are a criminal organization that wraps themselves in "protecting our people" BS.

Excellent summary. 

Such a frustrating situation the way the government and law enforcement treats the natives with kid gloves. I live in Hamilton which is just outside Caledonia  and saw first hand how the natives BS has affected that community. Furthermore after having worked in the provincial correctional system for a number of years I've been disgusted with the way the system baby's them and their special interests.

in a couple more years New Brunswick will not Exist, it will be adsorbed by Quebec, Nova Scotia, PEI and possibly Maine (campobello island)

be it unlikely they are bleeding too much red, debt is said to be north of 10 billion dollars, when a child is born in NB, they are automatically 15,000 in the hole.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/media-vehicle-seized-by-fracking-protesters-in-rexton-1.2126656

Peaceful eh ?

marinemech said:
in a couple more years New Brunswick will not Exist, it will be adsorbed by Quebec, Nova Scotia, PEI and possibly Maine (campobello island)

Doubtful. The Feds will have rescue it. It may be academic if the warriors can play this out and get external support. It maybe impossible to do anything in NB. Using the local reserves is not an option because the Acadians are heavily involved. This is downplayed issue here that every Acadian political group continues to support this openly.  Even their passive resistance could disturb internal communication. The amazing bit was the NDP leader here who came out in favour of police action strongly and did not mince words on his opinion of the warriors. I may have to vote NDP. There is a lot to play out and winter is almost here. If SWN comes back next year it will ramp up higher.  I suspect there will be a winter of IED building and that IED attacks will start immediately on SWD employees, I say this because the pipe bombs appear well made. So there must be a bomb builder in the warriors, maybe even an ex army engineer type (ours or US).

IMHO the bigger issue here, and the one that has the potential to cause many more problems in the future, is the whole question of how we deal with FNs in a way that provides fair resolution to their legitimate claims, gives them a legitimate degree of involvement and benefit from resource projects on land ceded to them by the Crown, but gradually defuses the violent die-hard element represented by the Warriors.

"Sending in the cavalry", as satisfying and righteous as that might feel, probably isn't the answer. That part of our history is over, and anyway except for the NW Rebellions and Oka, we have no real history of military operations against FNs, unlike the US. That approach would only wash here if Warriors or other FN elements were to act in a far more egregious way, on a much bigger scale, than what we have seen so far. IIRC even the pugnacious Commissioner of the OPP, Julian Fantino, defied a court injunction in order to stay away from violent confrontation with the Warriors (no doubt with memories of Ipperwash still fresh in mind...).

Backing down in every case such that local non-FNs get terrorized as in Caledonia, or just throwing more money at FNs, probably aren't useful answers either. Neither is "just cutting them off" going to do much: that would be guaranteed to play into the hands of Warriors et al. Poverty is usually a nice warm pond for crime to breed in, FN or non-FN.

IMHO, the useful measures are:

-uphold the law in an intelligent but firm manner, and make it clear that this will be done. At the same time, make it clear that the full range of legal remedies is available to FNs, just as it would be to any non-FN community that had an issue with land developers, mining companies, power companies, etc. If the more reasonable amongst them can actually hold up a significant example of success in court, this will serve to distance the Warrior faction from the main body of FN people;

-deal as swiftly, fairly and transparently as a Canadian Government can in resolving any outstanding land claims. Festering issues don't usually help;

-do all that can be done to encourage the development of an educated class of FN leadership. This is actually happening, but maybe not fast enough. IMHO educated people, on average, are more prone to find compromise solutions and less vulnerable to being whipped up into a frenzy by violent demagogues. An FN "middle class" would also be a stabilizing influence, as it is in any society.; and

-work to get reserves functioning like municipalities or counties, with as much independence, responsibility and self-regulation as any of those non-FN bodies would have, including the right to sell land.

These won't provide a fix overnight: not too many important changes happen that fast, anyway. But, in the long run, I think they will get us where we want to be.

:goodpost:

I am in broad and general agreement with pbi.

As much as I am frustrated with the antics of the Warriors and as much as I hope they don't resort to e.g. IEDs, I acknowledge that First nations have many, varied and, above all legitimate grievances for which full and fair redress is overdue.

Our Supreme Court has said, over and over again, that Canada ~ all of us ordinary citizens and political leaders alike ~ has failed to uphold the "honour of the Crown" in our dealings with First nations. Now I know that many people are going to jump up and say, "I haven't done anything to anybody. Why am I to blame?" I'm happy to agree that you haven't done anything wrong, but you and I have:

1. Benefited, indirectly, to be sure, in most cases, from the unfair, often illegal treatment afforded to First nations peoples in the past; and

2. Failed to demand positive measures to ameliorate the situations of too many First Nations.

In 1867 we, all, those who were alive then and all of those who are only small children now, accepted, by the very act of staying in Canada, the obligation, the duty, to uphold the promises King George made to Canada's First Nations. Too often, more often than not, we failed and we still fail.

I don't know what the right answers are. On a personal, philosophical level I tend to favour assimilation ~ making everyone in Canada equal in every way. That would amount to "buying out" special status for many aboriginal Canadians and it would costs billions and billions, tens of billions of dollars. And it might be an unacceptable course of action. I am persuaded that however we settle First Nations' grievances it will costs us many tens of billions of dollars; none of us like new, higher taxes so we must, either, "grow the economy" or do without some other government programmes.

A further point:

Not fixing our relations with the natives IS costing us billions and will continue to cost us billions.  The value of our current holdings is degraded by the uncertainty that exists.  Current projects are subject to the vagaries of the land claims process*.  Assets in the ground lie undeveloped.

I agree that new services will require additional taxes.  I don't agree that necessarily new taxes means an increased share of existing revenues.  It can, just as easily, mean the fair and equitable distribution of new revenues.  The re-apportioning of the "oil discount" is one example.  Alison and Christie are in the process of "kissing and making up" with Alison holding on to her existing revenues and the pair of them divvying up the new revenues.

The same thing applies to the natives.

The biggest problem with the natives though, is distributing the benefits:  through the chiefs or direct deposit to the individuals?

The second biggest problem is who owns what: not native or settler but which native.  The natives are just as happy to claim lands claimed by neighbours in the hope that they can trade those lands for benefit instead of trading their primary lands.

Who speaks for the natives and their lands?

*this year past it was easier to find construction trades in Edmonton than it has been for a few years due to slow downs up a Mac caused by the uncertainty over the pipelines and trains to distribute the oil

Could there be more to this than just Aboriginal claims?  Ezra Levant questions the funding of the Aboriginal Environmental movement by the Rockefeller Foundation.  [Edit to add:  There have been no land treaties with Aboriginal peoples in New Brunswick's history since before its creation in 1784.  The Treaty of Boston (1725) was the first of a series of treaties of peace and friendship; that is all.)

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/2755140661001

John Bennett's (executive director of the Sierra Club of Canada) take on the protests:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/civil-disobedience-last-resort-for-shale-gas-protesters-1.1357460

While there are claims that need to be worked out. It is unhelpful that every native leader has affirmed support for the blockade and those arrested. Only Local regional chief, Roger Ausgustine made veiled reference to radical elements being there. Some of these people are highly educated and beneficiaries of the current. Pam P, Derek Nepinak are both holders of doctorates yet most radical and very supportive of these current miliants.  The native leadership working much like Sinn Fein, ignoring the use violence while using that violence as leverage. I do not think they will be able to control it once they choose to open that bottle.

Seen the news this evening showing News Reporters from several agencies being ordered by natives to leave, leaving their equipment and vehicles behind.  Grand Theft Auto?  Theft over $5000?  Not the way to gain support from those not directly involved in the protest.

Back